Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU Music scene??

• 13-03-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey.

I'm kind of sick of the Venga Boys, East 17 and that sort of stuff. Trinity get the likes of Muse, CSS, and other awesome bands. UCD get better stuff as well.

I'm thinking of running for Music Soc gigs officer and organising some good bands to play, as well as getting in some talent from Dublin's flourishing Underground Rock Scene.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

Ok, Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Trinity got Muse awhile back for the Trinity Ball, a massively sponsored and rather established event. Comparing that to the likes of DCU's events is a little unfair to say the least. Same goes for UCD, when they have big acts (and in recent times they've been few and far between) they've always been at their larger, extremely well sponsored events.

Once you bear that in mind you can go from there. That said, going for that position more than likely won't affect the bands we get in for the major events. That decision is up to the SU and Shea McNelis, the Events Officer. As for the bands Music Soc get over, that would be you're area however you also need to bear in mind that those bands cost money and most students are adverse to paying money, for even good bands, while in college.

Best of luck with it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joshuanorton

I personally know some great up and coming bands in Dublin though... the likes of Dry County, Kill City Defectors, etc because I'm in a band and I gig a good bit.

I know I can't influence the major events, but have you seen the cover bands playing in the Old Bar this year? It's painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Hey.
    Trinity get the likes of Muse, CSS, and other awesome bands. .

for every person that thinks muse are "awesome" theres another 20 who dont.

personally i think the DCU events job is a poisoned chalice... you have absolutely no hope of keeping everyone happy. I'm sure you could get bands in that you and your mates will enjoy, but getting arses in the door is a different story

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

One second. The Trinity ball costs an arm and a leg to get into (correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt it about €70??) and it's run by that promotions company that must not be named. Simple as that. They have the contacts and that with that kinda money for tickets I'd be expecting something ****in decent to be put in front of me. While DCU's events aren't as cutting edge, some of the bands they get in are pretty decent (this coming from a smelly punk).

Anyway. What kinda bands from Dublin's underground rock scene are ya talking about? I'd love to see a few less cover bands. I know they pull the crowds and keep people happy, but they're the kind of ***** who make money of other peoples' songs and that just annoys the ****in tits off me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

dublins underground rock scene=empty hub, majority of students wont pay to see bands theyve never heard of,simple as.

you cant compare dcu events to the trinity ball, compare it to colleges like nui maynooth, galway, limerick etc. all of these get the cheesy acts aswell.....because tickets sell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I didnt think he was intending on charging for these events.... Monday or Wednesday evenings in the old bar would be easy to get to put some bands on I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

df1985 wrote: »
    dublins underground rock scene=empty hub, majority of students wont pay to see bands theyve never heard of,simple as.
    Quoted for truth unfortunately. :o

Having the odd cover band or one mixed in with some original bands is usually the best solution I find. The likes of Blue Moose and Big Generator, stalwarts of the college cover scene, always attract large numbers so having them mixed in with originals may begin to generate some interest.

Advertisement