Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gretna, WTF?

• 13-03-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks the whole Gretna situation is a joke, makes a mug of the SPL.

I know the owner is ill (but hasn't he had re-occuring health problems) but should measures not be in place that should he be in such a situation, a son or next of kin can write the checks and keep things going.

If people are going to buy clubs and run them like a plaything, surely they should be forced to put measures in place so that, all the costs that are being subsidised, don't spiral if the owner takes a turn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

His son refused to sign any cheques.

The same could happen Chelsea, Newcastle and Pats altho 2 EPL clubs would have 60 odd million and a stadium to rebuild as a club they would just lose a few players.

EL has a 65% wage cap but we breaking that so would be ****ed if Kelleher pulled out.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

KdjaCL wrote: »
    His son refused to sign any cheques.

The same could happen Chelsea, Newcastle and Pats altho 2 EPL clubs would have 60 odd million and a stadium to rebuild as a club they would just lose a few players.

EL has a 65% wage cap but we breaking that so would be ****ed if Kelleher pulled out.

kdjac

Thats a bit harsh on the son's part. His father loved and put everything into making Gretna a success, should he not bare that in mind (Maybe theres extenuating circumstances)

Yeah, this situation doesn't please me as a Newcastle fan. At least Abramovich has supposed to set up a cushy trust so that if anything does happen to him, or he does pull out, Chelsea won't be in freefall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I have no sympathy for the SPL in this situation.
    They made a fool of themselves by letting Gretna in the league in the first place without the proper foundations in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Good riddance.

I hope this happens to all clubs who operate in such a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

These were the investors Roderick had lined up to but Rovers! :eek:

The fact that no effort was made to do up Gretnas home ground in tandem with their on the field rise should have rung alarm bells in the SFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Heh, they had 20 pairs of football boots nicked from the clubhouse last night. Ouch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DesF wrote: »
    Good riddance.

indeed,
    its harsh but its true. running a club like that is a farce and the penalties are there for a purpose

Good riddance.

Its not like Shels were a one man show operating out of a rented stadium, spending multiples of their income in front of patlry crowds or anything, was it

Its not like Shels were a one man show operating out of a rented stadium, spending multiples of their income in front of patlry crowds or anything, was it

It's not like Shels had their Premier licence revoked as punishment either, is it?

It's not like Shels have since stopped these practices and are now in total compliance with licencing structures either, is it?

It's not like Shels don't still have to pay accrued debts, instead of getting the slate wiped with revenue and other debtors, is it?

It's not like Shels got away scot free with it's offences, is it?

Get off your high horse, because your "club" wasn't exactly the text-book model of prudent management either, is it?

?

Get off your high horse, because your "club" wasn't exactly the text-book model of prudent management either, is it?

No - thats why I would never make a statement like:

Good riddance.

Are you wishing shels out of business too?

• Advertisement

In fairness to FAI that Licence thing when enforced right is a good idea ,shame its the fai tho,as of this season all UEFA clubs have to do we just been doing it 3 years ahead of time.

Maybe we get it right next season as Shels Rovers Cork Longford and now Pats have proved, its the FAI so its done incompetently.

kdjac

No - thats why I would never make a statement like:

Good riddance.

Are you wishing shels out of business too?
    :confused:

Shels don't operate like that any more.

We came insanely close to going out of business, as you know.

In case you didn't notice, our "One Man Show" died last year.

:confused:

Shels don't operate like that any more.

We came insanely close to going out of business, as you know.

In case you didn't notice, our "One Man Show" died last year.

Ok - I'll rephrase it.

I don't think that when Olly was unwell that you would have appreciated a comment like

Good riddance.

in relation to Shels.

Thats all.

I don't hope someone dies.

:rolleyes:

I don't hope someone dies.

:rolleyes:

Who said you did?

But you want Gretna bust for doing less than Shels. Thats a bit strange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ohnoyoudidnt has absolutely no problem with casually bringing up tragedies tho to try and make his point appear more right tho. isnt that right ?

Jazzy wrote: »
    ohnoyoudidnt has absolutely no problem with casually bringing up tragedies tho to try and make his point appear more right tho. isnt that right ?

In fairness to the guy, he didn't bring up a tragedy here.

@ONYD

Less than Shels?

The two situations are different, afaics.

This fella at Gretna has been supporting them with his own cash.

He has withdrawn that support.

They are now fúcked, because they had no contingency plan in place.

What? Did think he was immortal :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the story now anyway? They had till noon or somesuch to come up with £30k to keep going, I assume this came through?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Eirebear wrote: »

I wonder what the SPL's procedure is for clubs that pull out?
    Will each team get there points taken off them or will the teams get the 3points and the games played up to know would stand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

SantryRed wrote: »
    I wonder what the SPL's procedure is for clubs that pull out?
    Will each team get there points taken off them or will the teams get the 3points and the games played up to know would stand?

The league standings are re-adjusted as if Gretna were never in it, which kinda takes the piss, and highlights the dangers of clubs being richmen's playthings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On this topic actually, does anyone know what happens to Chelsea if Abromovich got plutonium poisoning, or was just hit by a bus or something? Have they put a structure in place where somethign like Gretna's case can't happen? Or can Roman's next of kin just say 'sorry lads, we're pulling the money out', Leaving them with astronomical wage bills. or has their revenue improved enough that they can reach break even point on their own?

Jazzy wrote: »

What on earth are you on about? What tragedy?

@ONYD

Less than Shels?

The two situations are different, afaics.

This fella at Gretna has been supporting them with his own cash.

He has withdrawn that support.

They are now fúcked, because they had no contingency plan in place.

What? Did think he was immortal :confused:

I'm not directly comparing the situations, I'm just commenting that its a bit strange for a Shels fan to wish the fate Gretna are staring into on any club for the reasons you listed. Again, I'm sure there was similar comments to Shels fans when they nearly went, and I find it hard to believe you held that position then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You can get Aberdeen at 11/10 to win by 2 goals or more. Gretna have lost by at least 2 goals in each of their last 7 matches and they're in their worst state yet.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    You can get Aberdeen at 11/10 to win by 2 goals or more. Gretna have lost by at least 2 goals in each of their last 7 matches and they're in their worst state yet.

gretna have only 10 players who will play, does making the above bet count when its called off and aberdeen awarded a 3-0 win?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/g/gretna/7291519.stm

buggered is the word im thinking off

kdjac

You'd get your money back if the game isn't played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I'm not directly comparing the situations, I'm just commenting that its a bit strange for a Shels fan to wish the fate Gretna are staring into on any club for the reasons you listed. Again, I'm sure there was similar comments to Shels fans when they nearly went, and I find it hard to believe you held that position then.

First and probably last time I agree with anything you say.

Bit harsh to want to see a club fold because it was being run badly, certainly not fair on the fans. These one man shows are a bit strange anyway, I wonder do the new American owners in the premiership realise that it wont actually be them collecting the trophies at the end of the year like they would in NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Good riddance.

to wish any club to go out of business is a shocking thing Des

Gretna Vs Aberdeen game on staurday goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

eirebhoy wrote: »

Who's that with Eirebhoy?

kraggy wrote: »
    Who's that with Eirebhoy?
    It was with Betfair but odds have dropped a lot now. I got a fair bit on it.

3 nil Aberdeen. Jesus I hate looking at score updates, I'm a nervous wreck.

Drinks on you tonight then Eirebhoy?:D

Mines a Heineken.

I backed them too, but part of an accumulator. If Arsenal win now I win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Why do I always read these threads when its too late?

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    Drinks on you tonight then Eirebhoy?:D
    Nah, all it does is cancel out my Cheltenham losses. ;) And I hadn't planned on betting at Cheltenham.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Why do I always read these threads when its too late?

Maybe you're a bit slow. Are you a Rangers fan by any chance? :D

Roddy is trying to line up McMullan to buy Gretna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,428 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    On this topic actually, does anyone know what happens to Chelsea if Abromovich got plutonium poisoning, or was just hit by a bus or something? Have they put a structure in place where somethign like Gretna's case can't happen? Or can Roman's next of kin just say 'sorry lads, we're pulling the money out', Leaving them with astronomical wage bills. or has their revenue improved enough that they can reach break even point on their own?

I remember reading a while back that there was something like 500million put aside by Abramovic that would be made available to chelsea if something were to happen to him, so the club would have the cash to keep themselves going at the top while they readjusted.

Advertisement