Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting so angry ....

• 13-03-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Oh my god. I've come to the end of my teather.

I was bridesmaid for 2 close friends of mine in the last few months, great days and I thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

I'm in a long term relationship myself, and am perfectly happy, but since the last wedding especially, I'm getting HASSLED left, right and center from friends and family with the 'oh when are we going to see you walk down the aisle' and 'oh it'll be your turn next'

WOULD YOU EVER JUST FCUK OFF!

It's driving me insane. Not that I don't want to get married ever, I would but am perfectly happy the way things are and I'm not all that into weddings either. I just find it rude and insensitive, and I know some people are just joking but it's really getting tiring now. I wish they'd just change the record.

Rant over. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

<_<

>_>

slice of cake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

<_<

>_>

slice of cake?

I hope to God you don't mean wedding cake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You are not alone, check out this thread done recently.

Don't let people like that get to you, they don't mean any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I somehow managed to escape this at my sister's wedding two weeks ago, and I've been engaged for a while.
    Normally if people ask I tell them we're going to elope anyway... but I've no interest at all in getting married in the near future tbh.

I don't even think it matters what your plans are, it just annoys me having people feel like they have the right to judge your relationship and stick their oar in. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

It like asking newlyweds about 'oh when will we hear pitter patter of tiny feet' - I mean she could have just had a miscarriage, or anything. So insensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Tell them that you tried to book it but the priest won't let you cos you found out your boyfriend is really a woman ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

We're never having children and it drives me mad when people keep asking. I'm 41 yet and still no sign so you'd think they'd tak ethe bloody hint!!

Normally now if a 'serial asker' enquires I get all teary eyed and mention the word barren or impotent ~ usually stops them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Glowing wrote: »
    I don't even think it matters what your plans are, it just annoys me having people feel like they have the right to judge your relationship and stick their oar in. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

It like asking newlyweds about 'oh when will we hear pitter patter of tiny feet' - I mean she could have just had a miscarriage, or anything. So insensitive.

Yes people are insensitive, happens all the time. It's you who can control how much it bothers you, so just don't let it.

We're never having children and it drives me mad when people keep asking. I'm 41 yet and still no sign so you'd think they'd tak ethe bloody hint!!

Normally now if a 'serial asker' enquires I get all teary eyed and mention the word barren or impotent ~ usually stops them :D

That must get incredibly annoying - don't know how you keep your patience with that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Ah they don't mean any harm in it though...I know it's annoying as hell for you but you just have to go along with the joke the next time. "Oh any day now" or "If only he'd be so lucky"....no point getting wound up about it.

That or thump them!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

eh, you know you are never going to get married, these people dont know that. so either tell them to feck off its none of their busines or build a bridge simple

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Unfortunetly in my last relationship I did resort to
    "If we could have kids we would"... its an awful thing to say but sometimes it was the only way to shut them up.

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Unfortunetly in my last relationship I did resort to
    "If we could have kids we would"... its an awful thing to say but sometimes it was the only way to shut them up.

Well the fact they asked you such a personal question in the first place gives you the right to say what you bloody like :)

Prepare a rant about how much you don't believe in marriage;)

I got this **** also after I brought my boyfriend to a family wedding (bear in mind no one had met him yet as we were together only 5 months) :p Luckily my boyfriend has a great sense of humor
    Oh my god. I've come to the end of my teather.

I was bridesmaid for 2 close friends of mine in the last few months, great days and I thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

I'm in a long term relationship myself, and am perfectly happy, but since the last wedding especially, I'm getting HASSLED left, right and center from friends and family with the 'oh when are we going to see you walk down the aisle' and 'oh it'll be your turn next'

WOULD YOU EVER JUST FCUK OFF!

It's driving me insane. Not that I don't want to get married ever, I would but am perfectly happy the way things are and I'm not all that into weddings either. I just find it rude and insensitive, and I know some people are just joking but it's really getting tiring now. I wish they'd just change the record.

Rant over. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

OP you have my sympathies.

I get the 'babies' question all the time. I think it's because I'm married 5 years (even though I'm only 28!). It's society's general belief (and my mother-in-law's) that it should have happened long ago. I've even had the 'is everthing working in "that" department' question I mean HOW RUDE. I now just answer that I'm infertile - usually does the trick.;)

I just don't wanna have babies yet - but I've stopped expecting people to understand that!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

The bf's brother just got married so now everyone's expecting me and my OH to walk down the aisle. Meh. I've nothing against getting married but the wedding itself is a huge monkey show. I wish we could just elope...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had that kind of comment for years. Stupid questions deserve stupid answers, so I eventually had stock answers prepared when I was asked about marriage.

When pigs learn to fly.
    On the 12th. Of never.
    Who'd marry him?
    His mother wont let me.
    Why? Im not pregnant.

That kind of thing. I used the pig one so often when I did get married I put a winged, flying pig on the invitations.

Unaton wrote: »
    The bf's brother just got married so now everyone's expecting me and my OH to walk down the aisle. Meh. I've nothing against getting married but the wedding itself is a huge monkey show. I wish we could just elope...

Why cant you? You can do whatever you like.

My family are fully aware that I aint going to go the traditional route, and after four weddings already they could care less anyway. Actually thats not quite right, they would wish for me to do whatever suits me... and that will never be the big white wedding.

Grrr. Yes, I can handle one or two jokey questions from close friends the odd time, but when everyone and their mother think they have the right to comment, and they all do so in the space of 2 weeks, that's when it REALLY gets annoying!

fits wrote: »
    Why cant you? You can do whatever you like.

My family are fully aware that I aint going to go the traditional route, and after four weddings already they could care less anyway. Actually thats not quite right, they would wish for me to do whatever suits me... and that will never be the big white wedding.
    Oh there is me. And then there is the OH. He wants to please the family. I see the wedding as something intimate, he as a huge piss up for family and friends. *sigh*

• Advertisement

Oh there is me. And then there is the OH. He wants to please the family. I see the wedding as something intimate, he as a huge piss up for family and friends. *sigh*

How about an intimate ceremony with LOADS of wine :D

How about an intimate ceremony with LOADS of wine :D
    Heee heee :D I'll consider this :P

Ah.. I see..

My commiserations (sp?) :D

Really dont know how to spell that one actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Are you in your 30's?

i know i got that shyte alot when i was with my ex, because we were together for so long.. it annoyed me abit because i know it was never going to happen because of the age difference.. she was 23 i was 29 when we split up.

I just think its best not to listen to them and just smile it off.. or as i do.. make a joke about it..

fits wrote: »
    Ah.. I see..

My commiserations (sp?) :D

Really dont know how to spell that one actually
    Your spelling is fine :P and thanks. I know I'll never get my dream wedding (just the 2 of us and the priest) but can't I at least hope for less than 50 people?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Well I now will have the aul biddies asking me when am I going to get a man to look forward to, its one of my friends weddings soon and I'm newly single so I can't wait for their new line of attack...:rolleyes:
    I'm considering bringing a girl friend with me and letting them gossip away:D

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I'm considering bringing a girl friend with me and letting them gossip away:D
    Tell them you've set the date already.

snyper wrote: »
    Are you in your 30's?

i know i got that shyte alot when i was with my ex, because we were together for so long.. it annoyed me abit because i know it was never going to happen because of the age difference.. she was 23 i was 29 when we split up.

I just think its best not to listen to them and just smile it off.. or as i do.. make a joke about it..

No, not even, I'm only 27! (and a half, well a fairly big half)

Your spelling is fine :P and thanks. I know I'll never get my dream wedding (just the 2 of us and the priest) but can't I at least hope for less than 50 people?

if he wants to pay for the rest of the guests, yes

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    if he wants to pay for the rest of the guests, yes
    Ah it's not about the money. We have plenty of it. I just don't like big weddings in general. The brother's wedding had like 100 quests. 100!? Jaysis. The day should be about the bride and the groom and not some family members who throw up on the cake or decide to swim across the river totally s*itfaced. Meh.

And sorry for being kinda off topic.

Advertisement