Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 Hamptons

• 13-03-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi I'm heading to long island (hopefully!) on the j1 with my GF and I'm just wondering would living in the hamptons be too unrealistic for J1ers?? What type of jobs would be going and wats the average cheapest accomodation?? Also I was thinking maybe woodside in queens but would this be near a beach?? A beach is what I really want! Oh and to pay a bit of GAA! Any help would greatly appreciated!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

the beaches on long island are fantastic. sorry i cant be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Well at least I know that now!!! Thanks!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

going NY myslef this summer with my GF as well, we were thinking of Montauk which is out in the Hamptons. Apparently there's a good few Irish out there and it's alright for getting jobs but it's 3 hours from Manhattan so i think i'll end up staying in Queensd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Oh and to pay a bit of GAA! :D

Not too many GAA pitches in the Hamptons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Wood side is in Queens and Gaelic Park is in the Bronx.

Both are a good 1.5 or even 2 hours from the Hamptons, depending on traffic.

If you want to make training every time and play matches every week, living in the Hamptons is a non-runner.

Woodside would be better as it's between Manhattan and Gaelic Park but still a train ride from either.

New York is big.

I suggest you go to google.com/maps and type in "Van Cortland Park, Bronx". Then zoom out. It'll show where VC park is (where all the GAA clubs train in the Bronx, Gaelic Park being very close to it). Then do the same for "Woodside, Queens" and you can compare where they are.

Then look west out to the edge of Long Island and you'll see that the Hamptons are about 60km away. So not really an option for you if you want to play hurling/football.

Hope this helps.

If it's any consolation, Woodside is good for a piss up every night, if you want to hang out with the Irish all the time while in America.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

I did a J1 in Montauk and loved it. Depends on what you're looking for really, if you want good weather, amazing beaches with great waves and a relaxed atmosphere then I'd recommend Montauk. Plenty of Irish there and easy to get a job with good pay. The only problem is finding a house. The city is completely different, I'd love to live there but wouldn't like it as a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkette

amull87 wrote: »
    going NY myslef this summer with my GF as well, we were thinking of Montauk which is out in the Hamptons.
    Hi I'm heading to long island (hopefully!) on the j1

I'm also heading that direction with a friend. Have you guys found any accomodation etc yet? We also want to be in the Montauk area, or at least somewhere on Long Island, with the beach closeby and local jobs! Have ye had any luck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Thought I'd drag this up again! Anyone had any luck finding housing? It's starting to get annoying cause there's not really anything available and it seems really expensive as well. Idon't wanna end up having to come home cause I can't get anywhere to live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

hey OP,

i went to Long Island for the summer of 2005 and was based in Long Beach. Best Summer of my Life! I was living literally across the street from the beech. 7 of us got an apartment and it was unreal. We were perfect distance to Manhattan (30min train journey) and could visit the Hamptons at the weekend if we wanted.

Woodside is full of irish, i dont know if you would like it there, and in Long Beach they love they irish. You should be able to get work labouring, and there is a holiday resort there also.

I highly recommend Long Beach, trust me - magnificent beach, rich locals, fantastic spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Hey Redders great post thanks! just wondering in long beach what jobs other than labouring can you get and is it hard to get a job there and how did you get the apartment?? Thanks again!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

We got the apartment through a letting agency once we arrived over there, just so you know there are no hotels in Long Beach, so you might have to communte between the city for the first couple of days until you get something, also look in local papers. We and my friends got jobs by just going and asking on building sites - but you have a J1 so you might be able to get a job in Bars, Restaurants etc. A job in bar is where the money is, my brother was working in a bar and was making $400 a night on tips!

If your any good at GAA try and get in contact with a club over there, they will put you up in accomodation until you get something sorted plus its a good way to meet people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

redders was accomdation expensive out there as i have a lead for a job in that area jut tryin to figure out about stuff before sayin yes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 j1 hamptons

Anyone heading to the hamptons this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mulcahse

Im thinking of heading long island / the Hamptons also.
    We have a group of four of us. the problem is only one of us is 21.
    Can someone tell me is this a big problem or should we be ok ?

Advertisement