Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance!

Options
  • 13-03-2008 4:49pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone please give me info on this!

Is there any insurance that lets you drive any car once you have a full licence?

If so which company and what are the requirements?

Im 20 and have fully comp insurance (hibernian) on an 02 alfa 147 1.6ts, and would like to be able to also drive my moms and my girlfriends cars too.

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ring your insurance company and ask them. I'm also insured fully comp with Hibernian and I can drive any thing as long as I have owners permission. (and the car is taxed, ncted and insured obviously)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Do you think there would be an age limit to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Nope, I was 19/20 and insured with Hibernian(through insure.ie) to drive other cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I'm with Axa and fully comp full licence and can drive anything else once the other vehicle is insuranced.
    I'm 23 and age restriction wasn't mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I though any fully comp insurance should let you do this with a full license? :confused: I'm with Quinn and their policy allows this.

There will be some rules regarding this, e.g. you can't drive someone else's car if yours has been written off and you haven't informed the insurers, you have to get permission from the owner, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lots of companies lets you drive "any car" once you have a full EU licence. Hib and Quinn for example. Both allow it under TPF but double check in case.

http://www.hibernian.ie/direct/HibernianDirectWeb/motor_home_detailed.jsp
    Driving Other Cars
    We will automatically provide you with Third Party cover when you drive a car someone else owns, as long as you have a full EU driving licence. This cover is only available to you, the policyholder, and not to any named drivers on your policy.

sounds good at the moment, but i should also mention that my moms car is an 06 cls 55 AMG!, do you think that would make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

ktulu123 wrote: »
    sounds good at the moment, but i should also mention that my moms car is an 06 cls 55 AMG!, do you think that would make a difference?
    Lucky you! :D Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fletch wrote: »
    Lucky you!

To an extent. If he has an unlucky moment and causes a crash or crashes into a wall, the car wont be covered s he'll only be driving it third party. It'd be an expensive car to have to replace from your own pocket.

Stekelly wrote: »
    To an extent. If he has an unlucky moment and causes a crash or crashes into a wall, the car wont be covered s he'll only be driving it third party. It'd be an expensive car to have to replace from your own pocket.

ha yeah, i care far too much for that car to let anythign ever to happen to it!

Cheers for everyones help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stekelly wrote: »

ktulu123 wrote: »
    ha yeah, i care far too much for that car to let anythign ever to happen to it!

Cheers for everyones help!

I wouldn't be happy driving a ~€100,000 car that if anything happens to I have to repay. Unless you have a very forgiving family is it worth the risk?

And no sane person goes out on the road planning to have a crash, they happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The age restrictions are worth double checking. Despite what some people say, not all fully comp policies allow you drive other cars when you're under 25, the same as a lot of open drive policies only cover other drivers from 25-71. Both of these also carry license restrictions (full EU class B). Also, in each case the cover from the majority of companies is only 3rd party unless it's the policyholder driving the car listed on the policy.

Double check with your insurance company before you take the risk; it's cheaper to make a phonecall than face the fines and ban for driving uninsured. And ignorance will not be classed as a defence.

Also bear in mind that even trade policies can have restrictions as to value/power of cars that can be driven on them; your own fully comp policy may have the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ShayK1 wrote: »
    ring your insurance company and ask them. I'm also insured fully comp with Hibernian and I can drive any thing as long as I have owners permission. (and the car is taxed, ncted and insured obviously)

Forgot to mention that I'm only covered Third party on other vehicles!!! OOPS!!

Advertisement