Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux in A VM - Questions & help please!

• 13-03-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, for college we use Suse Enterprise Linux through VMWare for one of our modules... We have a project that involves encrypting & decrypting stuff, and sending the files vis email, using the evolution email client & encrypting with gpg.

To save me coming into college next week, i was thinking of getting some distribution of linux & run it in a VM on my own machine... I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this an easy task? Like do i just need to download some distribution & run it inside in something like VMWare?

2. Does it matter which distribution to go with? All i need is to be able to use gpg & evolution, other than that it doesn't matter.

3. Is there any specific requirements needed to be able to run a virtual machine? I have a Vista (Ultimate) laptop - 2GB of RAM with (currently) ~ 40 GB of free space.

4. Am i missing anything? Any advice/help/pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Create virtual machine, install distro from iso. Enjoy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Any recommendations for a particular distro?

For the stuff you mention Evolution, pgp, shouldn't be any problem which distro you pick.

Ok, so I installed Ubuntu in VMWare, worked grand & it's installed and all... However I cannot access the internet, cos i need to use the wireless, which seems to be pretty difficult using a VM. After googling I found people talking about creating the VM in NAT mode, but i haven't a clue what i am supposed to be doing...

Any help? Or am i limited to only using wired internet?

There's a patch for it [depends on your vmware version]- http://liken.otsoa.net/blog/

• Advertisement

Em, it's not in English??

Scroll down. It says "(Translation into English below)" on the page.

Advertisement