Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help finding solicitor for criminal litigation

• 13-03-2008 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

There have been some allegations made against me and a guard wants to talk to me. I need to find a solicitor who handles this sort of thing. The only ones I've found who do handle these things seem dodgy when I google them. I'm not sure if I need one in dublin or limerick (or both), since the guard is in one of those places and i live in the other. I don't know if I can give the statement in the local station or ifi need to travel. I'm not asking for advice on this because I think that would count as legal advice and get the thread locked (after reading some of the other threads here). I am only looking for recommendations of solicitors that handle these sorts of matters with good reputations in dublin and limerick.
    Thank you, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

If it's a criminal matter you may well qualify for free legal aid. Find your local FLAC (Free Legal Advice Centre) and ask them for their advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 samslade

I thought FLAC was only for civil legal aid? I was also under the impression that you needed to be arrested to get free legal aid for criminal litigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

No FLAC will also help on criminal matters, especially in preliminary stages.

If the court then allows for free legal aid then the State picks up the bill for the solicitor/barrister.

ok I'll contact them tomorrow. Thanks for your reply

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

It would be preferable to have a solicitor before you talk to the Gardai but then you already know that I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Yes I want a suitable solicitor to help me prepare a statement. I know I don't have to give a statement until I have gotten legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The only problem with that is that the Gardaí may come along and arrest you before you seek legal advice.

Well then they still have to wait for me to get a solicitor before I give a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But that solicitor may not be of your choosing, i.e. they may just send you a duty solicitor off a list in the station.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Is there any difficulty in posting the names of the most prominent criminal firms in Dublin / Limerick?

Any solicitor that deals with criminal law will be able to help you and will give you good advice, especially in regards to how to approach making statements etc.

There are about 5 big criminal firms in Dublin City Centre and another 10 or so smaller firms who are all very good and advise clients on how to make a statement on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are about 5 big criminal law firms in Dublin City Centre .....
    Edited. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

samslade wrote: »
    Yes I want a suitable solicitor to help me prepare a statement. I know I don't have to give a statement until I have gotten legal advice.

You don't have to give one either after you have obtained legal advice.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

From the above do I take it that you are only entitled to a solicitor, not a specific solicitor?

This is used in the USA to prevent mobsters from getting 'special' advice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Victor wrote: »
    Edited. :D

I stand by what I said.
    Victor wrote: »
    From the above do I take it that you are only entitled to a solicitor, not a specific solicitor?

This is used in the USA to prevent mobsters from getting 'special' advice.

You are entitled to legal representation, and legal representation of your choice. However, a lot of people when charged with a criminal offence don't know or don't care who their solicitor is so the guards often recommend someone, or in court the judge might appoint someone under the legal aid scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I always thought when arrested the best option (whether guilty or not guilty) was to repeatedly say, "I have nothing to say".

Don't the gardai get most of their evidence from the questioning?

dublindude wrote: »
    I always thought when arrested the best option (whether guilty or not guilty) was to repeatedly say, "I have nothing to say".

Don't the gardai get most of their evidence from the questioning?

That's a difficult one because when you questioned you can make statements that are inculpatory (i.e. admissions) but you can also make exculpatory statements (i.e. denials, explanations about where you were at the time etc). As the law stands, both an inculpatory statement and an exculpatory statement will be proffered by the prosecution, so saying I have nothing to say might deprive you of the opportunity to explain yourself. Furthermore, there are some occasions when the gardai can draw inferences from your silence, and a solicitor's advice is invaluable in advising on the correct approach for the individual conerned in the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 peter connolly

samslade wrote: »
    There have been some allegations made against me and a guard wants to talk to me. I need to find a solicitor who handles this sort of thing. The only ones I've found who do handle these things seem dodgy when I google them. I'm not sure if I need one in dublin or limerick (or both), since the guard is in one of those places and i live in the other. I don't know if I can give the statement in the local station or ifi need to travel. I'm not asking for advice on this because I think that would count as legal advice and get the thread locked (after reading some of the other threads here). I am only looking for recommendations of solicitors that handle these sorts of matters with good reputations in dublin and limerick.
    Thank you, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi saw your post. I practice in that area and would be happy to talk to you without any obligations I am an ex-state solicitor.

Cheers Peter

Advertisement