Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appitite supressant?

Options
  • 13-03-2008 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of one...my appitite is up the wall lately (new pill) dont want to put on too much weight but am constantly craving food!

I eat healthily but cant stop eating choc and crisps and anything with loads of carbs in lately..is there anything to curb this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

i've heard Green Tea is good. although that MAY be more for Metabolism?? anyone confirm this?? and you have to get used to that which i didnt.....thats pretty useless sorry.

there are certain types of tablets that claim to Reduce your Appetite, in health shops and stuff.
    I found Apple Cider tablets great. Apple Cider was the name of them with a number after it i think, you can get them in most health shops they're in a Green Box!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Are you cracked? They're so bad for you. (not to sound like your Mammy or anything)

Eat stuff that will fill you up,Porridge and soup and fruit etc. choc & crisp and that rubbish give you instant sugar hit and then you get such a low after them and crave them more.

If you do need a sugar hit, then eat a funsize bar instead. Often people only want the taste of choc and a funsize is sufficient.

Seriously stay the hell away from appetite suppressants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Green tea, or a hot water with a few drops of lemon works wonders!

Glowing wrote: »
    Green tea, or a hot water with a few drops of lemon works wonders!

Yeah i heard that too!
    or just drink more Water. the most natural hunger suppressant. Although thats boring. who am i kiddin!?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

crap, i obviously took you literally and went for the "oh jayus you'll develop an eating disorder factor" :o

drink loads of water, green tea, eat porridge. and seriously the funsize treats do work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Don't not eat if you're hungry. Just eat healthier things - have fruit or nuts. I always bring grapes to work and keep unsalted peanuts in my desk drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

green tea
    hibiscus tea if you can get it
    vitax wellness tea slenderline

those silver tablets really do work too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

yokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

I agree with Maple - not a good road to go down!! Try working on stabilising your blood sugar levels, the more sugar you eat the more you crave.

There's a natural supplement called Spirulina that you'll get in any health food store that does that for you. I'm sure if you start taking this you'll notice the cravings subside. Go for foods with sustained energy release such as porridge and whole grains. Google GI and you'll get loads of advice on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Bananas. When i have a major chocolate craving, sometimes i think, hmmm maybe a banana would do. Maybe that's just me.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 moonstone77

im sorry to say but if you dont want to put on weight then dont buy **** to eat im sorry to be so blunt but crisps and choc will only fatten you and plenty of fresh air and exercise is the trick.. its simple really if you want to be thin and healthy eat the right food and exercise simple

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

im sorry to say but if you dont want to put on weight then dont buy **** to eat im sorry to be so blunt but crisps and choc will only fatten you and plenty of fresh air and exercise is the trick.. its simple really if you want to be thin and healthy eat the right food and exercise simple

Thanks you for that helpful hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Green Tea will give a small points increase metabolism wise.

It doesn't really do anything to suppress your appetite that i have heard off.

Generally speaking if you are hungry it is for a reason......the main thing will be the choice of treats you decide to eat.

App Suppressors are a pretty poor road to walk down, some work, some don't, some are bad for you others aren't etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Green tea and water lots of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 moonstone77

LadyE wrote: »
    Thanks you for that helpful hint.
    says me that loves me spuds lol but your welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I always get bad 11ses so I go down and get some orange juice. Works well for me... I dunno

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Raw carrot. Its kinda sweet, for the cravings, and involves lots of chewing, so foodwise, its time consuming.:) You will look a bit crazy going around munching it tho.

I dont know about porridge, it always makes me hungry quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

just make sure you have a good diet will Low GI cars, protein and good fats. The protein and low GI carbs will help you stay fuller longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

Grapes. Dunno why but it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Check out 'Hoodia' pills.. a natural/organic appetite suppressant, you can get them in most health food stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I am a good woman for the gimmicks but there is no point suppressing your appetite and only eating chocolate, crisps etc...

Chances are if you are hungry a lot and craving crisps then you are dehydrated.... Sometimes dehydration can be mistaken for hunger... I bought the WW chocolate chip biscuits and I have one if I simply cant live without choc. I am not saying they are the answer but something like them e.g. jaffa cake etc

TBH, a lot of it is mind over matter. I was craving choc for ages and once I decided to officially diet the craving stopped cos I just cant waste the WW points I have each day on choc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Niamho! wrote: »
    i've heard Green Tea is good. although that MAY be more for Metabolism?? anyone confirm this?? and you have to get used to that which i didnt.....thats pretty useless sorry.

there are certain types of tablets that claim to Reduce your Appetite, in health shops and stuff.
    I found Apple Cider tablets great. Apple Cider was the name of them with a number after it i think, you can get them in most health shops they're in a Green Box!

What do the Apple Cider tablet do???

Just bought the herbal green tea tablets today and it is for your metabolism.. Dont like the taste of green tea so this is my solution.

A low carb diet ...
    If you eat protein you don't crave anything and are full :)

Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Check out 'Hoodia' pills.. a natural/organic appetite suppressant, you can get them in most health food stores.

Any effect of Hoodia is purely placebo i can assure you.

From my research a complete was of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dragan wrote: »
    Green Tea will give a small points increase metabolism wise.

It doesn't really do anything to suppress your appetite that i have heard off.

It will like the water fill a person up, but better snacks are the way to go
    like almonds and Brazil nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

LadyE if you are constantly craving sweet things it could be a sign that you are not eating enough protein. I went to a dietician a few years ago and she suggested that this and eating more protein (fish, cheese etc) really helped me beat the sugar cravings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

phi3 wrote: »
    Bananas. When i have a major chocolate craving, sometimes i think, hmmm maybe a banana would do. Maybe that's just me.....

i quit eating bananas over a year ago your better off eating an orange!

SarahSassy wrote: »
    What do the Apple Cider tablet do???

Just bought the herbal green tea tablets today and it is for your metabolism.. Dont like the taste of green tea so this is my solution.

I think they more or less are supposed to Suppress hunger and Speed up Metabolism at the same time!

Apple Cider once again doesn't do anything.

Clever marketing and that it.

I have never found a paper that gives any genuine reason why it would work, or does work.

I doubt that means much though. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

There's no real proven safe appetite suppressants, or metabolism-alterererers out there anyway. There's a lot of talk about stuff suppressing appetites or altering metabolism, but it's mostly claptrap. Except a lot of homeless people use smoking as a way to suppress appetite, if they can't afford food. I guess a cigarette is cheaper than a sandwich.

I suggest u just use condoms instead :p

Advertisement