Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skeptics view of Osteopathy

Options
  • 13-03-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    What is the Skeptics view of Osteopathy?
    Thanks
    Tim

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

There is osteopathy and then there are osteopaths. I'm not qualified to have much of an opinion on the subject but here goes anyway...

I get the impression that while osteopathy (and also chiropractic) contains some wacky theoretical underpinnings, people who attend osteopaths (and chiropractors) actually receive something like physiotherapy. So one might actually get genuine treatment for muscle/joint/back problems from someone with real knowledge of human anatomy.

I'm willing to be contradicted on this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

robindch wrote: »
    Grim.

Elaborate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, as davros points out, chiropracty and osteopathy are "supported" by some very, very strange ideas about the world.

Osteopathy, as far as I understand it, is little different from massage and as long as you're not sick, I'd imagine that it's quite relaxing. Osteopathy started up, AFAIR, in the 1870's in the USA and is something I know little about.

Chriopracty, as far as I understand it, derives in part from osteopathy and involves the notion that illness is not caused by bacteria, viruses and the like, but by "subluxations" of the spine which need appropriate "manipulation". Chriopracty began in the 1890's in the USA, and rather like homeopathy, its practitioners revere the movement's rather bizarre founder. Unlike homeopathy, but similar to other charismatic movements, chiropracty suffered a number of schisms, producing various schools of thought regarding exactly what a "subluxation" is, and what "manipulations" are appropriate. No agreement will be reached any time soon, because there is little or no research of any quality carried out into chiropracty and how effective or otherwise it is.

I can't recall all the details of the story, but AFAIR, the guy who founded chiropracty was highly-religious bunny. At some point during his career, he massaged a deaf person's spine and the massagee (?) said that his hearing had suddenly returned. The founder concluded that all illness is caused by the spine and chiropracty has not looked back since.

Advertisement