Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northern Car VRT issue

Options
  • 13-03-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Northern Reg car, tested it out and it seems ok! My main worry is that it was bought by a bloke down here and he never did the VRT and it still has the British paper work which he hasn't signed yet. So if I decide to buy I sign the GB paperwork head into the tax office and pay the VRT probably be about €700'ish 1.8 engine. My main concern is that I go in to the tax office and they say- oh yeah that car was stolen up the north and those papers are fake!! Im then screwed!

Im not saying I don't trust the seller its just I want to cover myself. Any way of checking the cars history up North?? On a side note anyone know of who is offering the best car loans currently??

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

You can call the DVLA office in Swansea to check if the V5C is stolen or not.

An AA check will tell you whether the car is stolen or has finance outstanding.

For loans, try your credit union (as long as you don't have to have much money on deposit) and Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

the rule of thumb for me on ANY car is use your gut feeling and if dont fit right in your mind......

just walk away.......

the papers is chock full of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Get a HPI check done on it to see if it's listed as stolen. HPI can't/won't give the same guarantees on a NI car as they can on a eng/scot/wales one but they should still be able to verify that the car hasn't been reported as stolen, written off, etc..

Also there's a seperate DLV for NI - it would be the DLVNI in Coleraine that would have issued the v5c rather than the DVLA in Swansea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

the rule of thumb for me on ANY car is use your gut feeling and if dont fit right in your mind......

just walk away.......

the papers is chock full of cars.

MAybe not the best advice imo...

Like mentioned, a simple HPI check will tell the story of the car; maybe even ask for the phone number of the previous owner...

Plenty of cars with northern or uk plates are sold on by people in the south

Advertisement