Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elections 08/09 - Results

• 13-03-2008 6:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who are interested, I have the results of the 08/09 Students Union Election. I don't have how many votes each candidate got but the overall turnout was lower then last year.

The new Students Union for 2008/2009 is as follows:-

President
    Cathy Pembroke (formerly Shane Kelly, who did not run this time)

Welfare
    Conor Doyle (No change in position)

Education
    Colm Murphy (formerly Cathy Pembroke, who is now President)

Entertainment
    Áine Fahey (formerly Frank Mulqueen, who did run for election again)

Congratulations to the new team, and the very best of luck to Shane Kelly who has decided not to run for election this year. I think I can say "Thank You" from those who you have helped since becoming president. Sorry to see Frank go, best of luck in the future!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Seems fair enough, conor and cathy will be received well again, nice folks and very helpful. Don't know the other two but best of luck to them and indeed to the two who left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Did anyone else run for president? I didn't really take much interest in the elections this year, not that I did last year either, but I knew who was running last year, lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Minto wrote: »
    Did anyone else run for president? I didn't really take much interest in the elections this year, not that I did last year either, but I knew who was running last year, lol.

Cathy was the only one to run for president and Conor was the only one who went for Welfare. The other sections had two people run for each.

I have to say the elections were a lot quieter this year. Condoms in each toilet - funniest campaign since iv been there anyway! Only one lad (afaik) went around and spoke to students on the day of the elections.

You should vote though. Whats the harm? Have your say, you are the student afterall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Do SU officers in WIT do this full-time for a few years?

In most places it's just done as a year out for one year only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Michael will have a very tough job trying to fill Cathys boots. She really did put in a tremendous amount of effort and work into catering for the needs of the students.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do SU officers in WIT do this full-time for a few years?

In most places it's just done as a year out for one year only

The SU Elections are heald each year. Anyone who gets voted in, does it full time for the year. They can go again for election the next year etc. This would be Conor and Cathys second time in office and Shane would have been in office about 3 times..

Michael will have a very tough job trying to fill Cathys boots. She really did put in a tremendous amount of effort and work into catering for the needs of the students.

Indeed, should be interesting to see how it pans out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fiannafaller

Sully wrote: »
    For those of you who are interested, I have the results of the 08/09 Students Union Election. I don't have how many votes each candidate got but the overall turnout was lower then last year.

The new Students Union for 2008/2009 is as follows:-

President
    Cathy Pembroke (formerly Shane Kelly, who did not run this time)

Welfare
    Conor Doyle (No change in position)

Education
    Michael Morrissey (formerly Cathy Pembroke, who is now President)

Entertainment

Congratulations to the new team, and the very best of luck to Shane Kelly who has decided not to run for election this year. I think I can say "Thank You" from those who you have helped since becoming president. Sorry to see Frank go, best of luck in the future!

I dont know how u got ur info, but ur wrong as regards the positions of education & entertainments

Michael Morrissey was not elected. Colm Murphy was elected with no fewer than 450 votes to spare:D. + Frank did run for re-election but was defeated by Aine by around 20 votes.

Ah feck. I could of sworn it was Michael that got elected, how the hell did I make that mistake. :/

Btw, Aine is listed as entertainment. That is correct.. :)

EDIT: Is Colm Murphy the guy who sat on all the SU Meetings during the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fiannafaller

Aine was elected, but u stated that frankie did not run for re-election, he did but was defeated. Doesnt make much of a diference anyways

Colm Murphy is the current chair of the class rep council. The best man for the job and I am sure that he will be a great sabat

• Advertisement

Aine was elected, but u stated that frankie did not run for re-election, he did but was defeated. Doesnt make much of a diference anyway

See below. I never said he did not run for re-election :p
    Entertainment

This is a public forum. Keep such comments to yourselves, thanks.

Topic Cleaned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

This is a public forum. Keep such comments to yourselves, thanks.

Topic Cleaned

What I miss>?

The start of a name calling competition.. all sorted now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

awh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

awh :(

I just called someone an eejit is all, so you didn't miss much. Going on what I've seen on the forum though, had I said "I've heard xxx is an eejit from several sources" then that would have been fine...

I dont think iv ever spotted such claims.. I dont think you would like it if we called you something on a public forum which will stick on Google for years and the whole world can see.

Advertisement