Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is, generally, Smarts coverage?

Options
  • 13-03-2008 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna be moving to either Galway or Dublin (not sure which, its for work) in the next few months and of course broadband is a huge thing for me. Knowing the deal with Irish ISPs and their wonderful service well (!), Smart is definitely the first one I'm going to try to get broadband from.

I've checked their website and they want you to put your phone number in - of course I dont know where I'll be yet so thats not possible.

Can anyone tell me generally what parts of the country they cover, maybe a map of Ireland with some crudely drawn coverage on it? That'd be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Crown Alley, Coolock, Clontarf, Dolphins Barn, North Main, Summerhill, Beggars Bush, Nangor Road, Ship St, Walkinstown, Whitehall, Santry, Churchfield, Quaker Rd, Dennehys Cross, Wellington Rd, Cork Central, Galway HPO, Mervue, Shantalla, Letterkenny, Roches St, Castletroy, Dooradoyle, Merrion, Ballydowd, Tallaght, Nutley, Dundalk, Waterford Central, Waterford Tycor, Letterkenny, Whitehall, Cabra, Blanchardstown

This is some of them. They haven't bothered doing much of a rollout last 18 months. But BT are even more pathetic with their LLU rollout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thanks. Only bits of Cork/Dub/Lim/Waterford then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

What's LLU?

Looking at uchoose.ie, Smart seem to have the fastest broadband speed that's part of a bundle package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JJ wrote: »
    What's LLU?

Looking at uchoose.ie, Smart seem to have the fastest broadband speed that's part of a bundle package.

LLU is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_loop_unbundling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Praetorian wrote: »
    ...Galway HPO, Mervue, Shantalla...
    Thanks. Only bits of Cork/Dub/Lim/Waterford then :(

Those places are in Galway :)

If you aren't sure about a district, Google something like "<district in Galway/Dublin> Tel" to get the phone number of a business in this area, and use that number in the Smart line-checker to see if the local exchange is enabled.

If you can, try and get accommodation in a place which falls within a Smart-enabled exchange - it's worth it... ;)

• Advertisement

Little bit of a bump :D

I know now that I'm def gonna be in Galway. Are they the only 3 enabled exchanges? (Galway HPO, Mervue, Shantalla).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

The 3 exchanges mentioned cover most of Galway city and suburbs. Coverage is approx 7Km radius from an exchange. The exchanges would have been picked to give maximun coverage of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you have an idea of where you'll be living, or even areas you'd like to live in, then get a phone number from these areas and check them on Smarts website. Use a phone number from any shop, pub, Chinese, etc, and it'll give you a good indication of whether you're in a suitable area anyway.

Nice one, didnt think of that.

I'm hoping to be somewhere in Galway city itself (if possible), and I may even choose where I live partially based on Smart availability!

Advertisement