Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boycott Spain ? [ DEPICTS CRUELTY TO ANIMALS ]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

Míshásta wrote: »
    Should we cancel our holidays in Spain and the Canaries.

Féachaigí ar seo. Have your barf bag nearby - it's pretty horrendous to put it mildly.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=At4TI17844E&feature=related

I’ve a better idea; completely boycott Japan and the Japanese. They are senselessly slaughtering whales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I love when the bull gets his own back.
    Ive been to Spain more times than i can remember and never once saw a bull fight, If thats the kind of holliday your into, you wont have to look for long, go to Spain, just stay away from the bullfights:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I didn't realise horses took part in the bullfighting fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Míshásta wrote: »
    Should we cancel our holidays in Spain and the Canaries.

Féachaigí ar seo. Have your barf bag nearby - it's pretty horrendous to put it mildly.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=At4TI17844E&feature=related
    Ha!!! No chance! :rolleyes: I have a house there, and support Almeria! Actually that video was pretty cool, I think I might put it up on me Bebo. It looks quite fun tbh! I'd love to be a spectator, I'll make my way to the closest bull-ring when I'm there... there's one in my town actually, and one in all the surrounding towns too! Ha mad craic! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

went to a bull fight years ago and the bull won , he beat everyone. my drunken cheering everytime he gored someone did not go down well.

BUT we kill flies and spiders so dont go to ireland :confused:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Cool video thanks for the link

Bullfighting is quite the spectical of a part of spanish culture.

I did see a video once on tv "when sport goes bad" wher the bull rammed his horn up the matadors pipe hole and carried him around on it.

I was admitteded to hospital for breaking 3 ribs laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

WTF! Ye find that video "Cool"

I guess ye probably throw cats on bonfires at Halloween for kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is puppies at Halloween and kittens for Summer Solstice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

If tourists stopped going to bull fighting it would be uneconomical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It is puppies at Halloween and kittens for Summer Solstice.
    thread gets 5 stars just for that:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martipants

I lived in Spain for a few years and learnt that the "corrida" is a deeply divisive subject even among the Spanish themselves.

There is also a very clear division between the north and the rest of the country; Cataluna (and possibly others too) has banned it outright and quite enjoys having another reason to distance itself from the 'barbaric' practises of the more southern regions.

Even if you go to Madrid, where the Ventas arena still holds one of the largest festivals of the year, you still find a lot people who are strongly against it. (Sometimes you think you can detect a "town versus country" vibe off it, but it's not a hard rule)
    You will also find, in any town or city where they still hold bullfights, the majority of the spectators are not tourists, but Spanish themselves so boycotting Spain or the corridas is not going to make a difference.

While we don't have bullfighting here in Ireland, I'm sure we've got some other activities that are just as disagreeable!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I didn't realise horses took part in the bullfighting fun.

They are used initially to insert a lance into the bull. Normally known as picadores. Horse-based fighting is much rarer but it does happen.

They also use horses in Portugal.

It is not driven by tourists and never has been. As martipants pointed out Ventas is the biggest and very difficult to get tickets for. I for one am not one for "ban it now". Changes have taken place and it is banned in some parts of Spain. It is theirs to resolve and they have a healthy enough debate without the rest of the world telling them what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah what about the scangers in some parts of Dublin who are cruel to their horses, and the scangers in Tallaght who throw cats and dogs onto moving cars and buses on the walkover bridges, and at Halloween ride their horses over bonfires? Don't even get me started on the Pikeys! Or go up a class or two and see the hunting or the coursing with all the scumbags who attend those countrywide events, at least the bulls impale some of the fighters every know and again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

martipants wrote: »
    I lived in Spain for a few years and learnt that the "corrida" is a deeply divisive subject even among the Spanish themselves.

There is also a very clear division between the north and the rest of the country; Cataluna (and possibly others too) has banned it outright and quite enjoys having another reason to distance itself from the 'barbaric' practises of the more southern regions.

Even if you go to Madrid, where the Ventas arena still holds one of the largest festivals of the year, you still find a lot people who are strongly against it. (Sometimes you think you can detect a "town versus country" vibe off it, but it's not a hard rule)
    You will also find, in any town or city where they still hold bullfights, the majority of the spectators are not tourists, but Spanish themselves so boycotting Spain or the corridas is not going to make a difference.

While we don't have bullfighting here in Ireland, I'm sure we've got some other activities that are just as disagreeable!:D
    Yeah this is very true, a lot of Spanish are completely against it and it's certainly not tourists going to the odd bullfights that are still running.

There's much, much more instances of animal cruelty that should have a stance taken against it. 250,000 seals get killed by humans every year, whales and dolphins are slaughtered for absolutely no good reason etc. Bullfighting is just a minor thing in comparison to some of the fcked up stuff going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

rb_ie wrote: »
    Yeah this is very true, a lot of Spanish are completely against it and it's certainly not tourists going to the odd bullfights that are still running.

There's much, much more instances of animal cruelty that should have a stance taken against it. 250,000 seals get killed by humans every year, whales and dolphins are slaughtered for absolutely no good reason etc. Bullfighting is just a minor thing in comparison to some of the fcked up stuff going on.

Very true RB, just watching the Seal clubbing season has just kicked off in Canada (sick Fuks!) and the Japs with the Whale hunting for scientific studies my arse! Hopefully the EU will ban Seal products outright in the coming months!

Advertisement