Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers for small patch

Options
  • 13-03-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Am living in apartment but looking to plant some bright flowers outside on the pavement beside lamppost where theres a bit of green. Have no idea about gardening so need some advice as to what I could put there. Soemthing durable, that doesnt need too much looking after (im not good with houseplants, they keep dying on me!). Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

You could try something like getting pansy's or viola's which are very similar to pansy's. You can normally get them in b&q, homebase, atlantic, woodies or sometimes tesco/dunnes have them too. They'll be in those little trays of 6 or whatever. All you need to do is plant them out and they flower for months. They need very little care - maybe a drop of water if it's very dry. Also as the summer approaches, you can try more of those bedding type plants which give instant colour and last through the summer. If you're planning on staying there longer term, then you could plant some daffodil & tulip bulbs in the autumn and they will come up every year. If you wanted to do something like that for the summer, you could try some summer bulbs. I have gladiolas & liliums, but they may be too big for your site. But if you look around you might find some 'miniature' versions. Again, bulbs need no attention, once sown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Redpunto wrote: »
    Am living in apartment but looking to plant some bright flowers outside on the pavement beside lamppost where theres a bit of green. Have no idea about gardening so need some advice as to what I could put there. Soemthing durable, that doesnt need too much looking after (im not good with houseplants, they keep dying on me!). Thanks a mill

Osteospermums are a simple but long flowering plant, available in a range of colours and petal forms. Little maintenance required and a good performer.

Advertisement