Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dislexia,

Options
  • 13-03-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

I just found out that one of my friends has this condition last night. Over an oul drink and stuff, was very emotional, but I would love to do something to really help as the person in question is very good to me and I had never known this. Looking at persons options for future feels bleak for the person, I am being told that I really don't understand. Maybe I don't but i WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TRY.

is there anyone who knows much about this condition. I would like to find out some good excercises etc for the person and help them out. is it curable? i really hope something can be done on this matter, any help very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

first tip, its spelled dyslexia :D

no, its not curable. depending on the severity, its not that big a deal. a friend of mine didn't even know she was dyslexic until she was 19. i'm actually very angry at her teachers and parents because none of them spotted it throughout the whole of school and i spotted it after she wrote two paragraphs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH. Feel free to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

go back to your friend and say you understand, "i have dyslexia too".

*edit* posted whilst still in after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

2nd tip: Your name's Ray.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure what age group your friend is in, but if they have left school, they can contact their local VEC school who will put them in touch with someone who can help. All VEC schools have an Adult Education liaison person, even if they do not run classes themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    first tip, its spelled dyslexia :D

no, its not curable. depending on the severity, its not that big a deal. a friend of mine didn't even know she was dyslexic until she was 19. i'm actually very angry at her teachers and parents because none of them spotted it throughout the whole of school and i spotted it after she wrote two paragraphs

Jesus that says a lot. This person started telling me that they went to sunday school and everyhting. went on to say how embaressing it was telling friends going to aunty's house etc...

i haven't actually gotten round to knowing how severe it was but a few other things started to come out, like the time we were going up the lift in my apts and I said are you dyslexic when they pressed the wrong button among other things, all harmless until you hear the truth I suppose.

If you teach someone to read good, is it just something in their brain that will still see it differently?
    spurious wrote: »
    Not sure what age group your friend is in, but if they have left school, they can contact their local VEC school who will put them in touch with someone who can help. All VEC schools have an Adult Education liaison person, even if they do not run classes themselves.

This person is just past the 30 mark. Thanks for that bit of info, I will be looking into that.

Jay D wrote: »
    If you teach someone to read good, is it just something in their brain that will still see it differently?

yes it is. some of them see letters back to front or jumbled up. when she's writing, she leaves letters out and jumbles them up too.

maths is doable but numbers can get mixed up so she has to be very careful and it takes her longer

she's in college now and she gets extra tuition and the notes are given to her so she doesn't have to take them down. she gets an extra half hour in exams too

and she was offered a free laptop for domes reason but she didn't take it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Dyslexia is so misunderstood i myself am when i told my friends they where like "but you can read and write" its not just about that other things come into play and it doesnt mean your tick either!

http://www.dyslexia.ie/

PS: Its not a Illness or Diease!

Dyslexia is so misunderstood i myself am when i told my friends they where like "but you can read and write" its not just about that other things come into play and it doesnt mean your tick either!

http://www.dyslexia.ie/

PS: Its not a Illness or Diease!

please don't take this personally but that's a perfect example of a sentence written by a dyslexic person. as you can see OP, its not some debillitating condition that diqualifies you from loads of jobs. it just means you make little mistakes here and there and punctuation suffers a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hello OP, I suffer from Dyslexia as well but it's not to bad now. I find reading helps a lot and the more you read the better it gets. I'm now studying Anatomy & Physiology and a lot of the words for the different body parts are latin based so I find them hard at times to understand but it doesn't bother me at all I just get on with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement