Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Runs..

Options
  • 13-03-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

So, given the interest in the Wicklow 200 on here, and some of the conversations of getting into shape, who wants to start doing some training runs? It'll be a good way of getting fit, and I could do with a cycling partner (or more than one!)

Can I suggest starting somewhere around town on Saturday morning heading towards Enniskerry? I'm a fat bustard on a single speed, so it don't matter what your skill level is :)

Fancy it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Yeah,would be interested,why don't you pick a time and place and see who turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

you'll destroy yourself on that single speed bike round wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It's not easy, but I can get around not too bad...

Right, lets set it at 10am, this Saturday, Harolds Cross Road, outside the Greyhound Stadium?

Sounds good,I'll give it a bash

Cool, I'll be the eejit on the blue Paddy Wagon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Nice idea, this week I don't think I'm available but definitely up for it in the future.
    A suggestion perchance, would be to post a route in advance so people could join in along the way - I'm in dundrum, so would be a bit pointless going all the way to harolds cross if you're going to end up going almost by my house anyway, or to meet say in sandyford or lambs cross or something along the way - as I said though tomorrow doesn't suit, but just thinking about the future..
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'd deffo be up for that - but not this saturday, i've already commited myself elsewhere. if it turns into a regular thing though i'd be on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sounds like a good idea (apart from riding the fixed gear), but I'll have to pass this Saturday as I'll be out with another chap. I might see yis somewhere along the line though. I'll be the one struggling to keep up.

I just noticed you are starting at 10am. Why so late? I plan to be on the road at about 7!

Raam wrote: »
    I plan to be on the road at about 7!
    Are you sure there is one of them on a saturday? Don't think I've ever seen it, my clock only has it Mon-Fri.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

kenmc wrote: »
    Are you sure there is one of them on a saturday? Don't think I've ever seen it, my clock only has it Mon-Fri.....

I hear ya. It's only since I started cycling that I found out my clock has one. The things you do for "fun" :)

• Advertisement

I'm with KenMC on this one... 7 is just too early for me on a Saturday at this point -maybe if it becomes regular we can push back the time :)

As for route.. I'm thinking we can start with this one, decent places to pick up from are marked on it, but hey I'm easy :)

I'm with KenMC on this one... 7 is just too early for me on a Saturday at this point -maybe if it becomes regular we can push back the time :)
    Good idea. Maybe 9:45 :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I might be around in the morning alright and could join you for a while.

One thing to note is that the southbound lane of the road between Dundrum and Sandyford is closed, which means you'll probably have to cut through Balally estate to get around it.

el tonto wrote: »
    I might be around in the morning alright and could join you for a while.

One thing to note is that the southbound lane of the road between Dundrum and Sandyford is closed, which means you'll probably have to cut through Balally estate to get around it.

Good point... I do the route fairly regularly, and know about the road closure, but it's easier to let GMaps do it's thing than change that part of the route!

9.45 from Harolds X it is then, seeing as we have some folk wanting a early (ahem!) start :)

See you tomorrow!

a better way would probably be to go straight up the dundrum bypass to ballinteer, up to the M50 almost. As you get to the last roundabout at the M50 you can go right towards rathfarnham, and then immediately left into Kingston estate, follow the road through the estate and you come to the grange road - it's a no through road for cars but can walk/cycle through it. Then you can take the road behind Lamb Doyles to get up to Johnny foxes, then down to enniskerry that way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I may join yis, don't wait though if don't show. I may go drinking tonight instead.

Most likely will have blue top, grey hat and giant FCR.

I might be able to get out and back to enniskerry if thats as far as ye're going, have to wait and see - supposed to be getting a heating oil delivery tomorrow, but they've to ring me to arrange a time. Would join ye as ye swing right into Dundrum (i.e under the Luas bridge, diagonally opposite Joe Dalys). _IF_ I come along I'll be wearing my Argentina team top, red Giant FCR, blue Helmet.
    Tiny, since this is your trip how about everyone interested PMs you to swap numbers, and txts a definite yes/no so someone has an idea as to who should show up etc and where would be joining up. I'll post here later tonight when I hopefully know when they're delivering my oil.
    K
    edit: looking closely at google maps, there MAY be a route through a housing estate for a bike, save having to go through the industrial estate if it suited. I'll try it on the way home and see how it looks.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=d&hl=en&geocode=14268172584078293969,53.342776,-6.271815%3B14932065099725901288,53.323965,-6.278708%3B8645659280129969619,53.252069,-6.214786%3B12093367358368042282,53.284800,-6.240400%3B17695309734362259654,53.272340,-6.228560&saddr=N81%2FNicholas+St+%4053.342776,+-6.271815&daddr=53.323965,-6.278708+to:Unknown+road+%4053.284800,+-6.240400+to:R117%2FSandyford+Rd+%4053.272340,+-6.228560+to:53.252069,-6.214786+to:enniskerry&mra=ps&mrcr=1,3,4&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&ll=53.280136,-6.230621&spn=0.011341,0.026951&z=16&msid=104609445839800960123.000448664cefc4cadb86e

@kenmc: that's the route I usually take... I do know the way through the estate, so we should be fine

@everyone: If you want to drop me a pm with your phone number and a yay or nay, along with where you'll join us, I'll let you know as we're heading off and see yous along the way... come for as long or as short as you want, and don't worry how fit or not you are -you're bound to be better than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If it's possible to get from Dundrum to Enniskerry and back by only going downhill, then I might pop along :D I don't do hills on Saturdays.

Glowing wrote: »
    If it's possible to get from Dundrum to Enniskerry and back by only going downhill, then I might pop along :D I don't do hills on Saturdays.

I guarantee that it's all downhill, easy for a Saturday morning (or late afternoon for some of the guys round here it seems!)

Except for the uphill bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Im intrigued by this idea but my fitness and commitment levels are not yet there for Saturday morning rides

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Glowing wrote: »

It's like the magic road in Father Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I can't do tomorrow but would like to get involved poss. next week if you do it. Any chance of feedback on this thread afterwards ie. how it went, how many went, how long it takes, where you meet people on the way etc.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Great idea. I can't do tomorrow but should be around next week. Post and let us know how yis get on.

Rob_l wrote: »
    Im intrigued by this idea but my fitness and commitment levels are not yet there for Saturday morning rides

Fitness really doesn't matter (not to me anyway)... I think this could be more of a 'like cycling, but not dead serious about it' type ride, come, have a go, stay as long as you want sort of thing. I'd love to get it going regularly (and I'll prolly do Sundays too if anyone wants to join!)

I'd say you're looking at just over an hour to Enniskerry (I think we'd manage that ok)

Right. See you there so. Was meant to be going out with a mate anyway, so I'll probably have him in tow. We'll go as far as Enniskerry but are planning to push on into the hills after that. I'll PM you my number.

right, *probably* coming along too, but will txt you in the morning for definite, around 9:30 or so. will meet you as I said opposite Joe Dalys.

Hmm...
    was at harolds x greyhound stadium at 9.45 but seemed to be the only entry!What were the odds of that.

You must have just missed us emty! Meself, elTonto, his mate started from the stadium, picked up Kenmc on the way, and headed for the mountains... I had to wuss out early due to lack of breath (stupid chest infection), but we did head out... was damn damp too!

• Advertisement

You must have missed us.

Advertisement