Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

play.com easter sale

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

indiewindy wrote: »
    Think it started today, plenty of good stuff in it, only problem is their exchange rate:mad:

Yeah, their exchange rate is appalling. It's never been great since we were forced to start paying in euros, but it's now £0.61 or thereabouts, whereas it should be £0.76, or at a push about £0.72 allowing for credit card gouging. I'm boycotting them (I've bout a lot from them over the years), and wanted to let them know this, but they have no contact email or feedback form that I can find (I tried info@play247.com, which I'd used years ago for something, but got a "this mail box is not monitored" reply).

Does anybody know an email address for them, as I'm not going to pay to phone them about ripping me off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I got the impression play are just like amazon ,they don't charge for uk deliveries.

Maybe it's a discrimination thing they are afraid of ,if they "start charging" us for deliveries.
    Amazon is basically on par with play for our final prices and because amazon is in the uk ,it works out a better deal from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I like to send them a message in their technical feedback section about it every now and again. Its to report problems with the site and a non-functioning currency converter is a big problem.

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Help.html?page=technical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I like to send them a message in their technical feedback section about it every now and again. Its to report problems with the site and a non-functioning currency converter is a big problem.

Nice one. Just said
    Your currency converter seems to be severely broken. Even accounting for daily fluctuations in exchange rates, the euro price is generally 15-20% greater than it should be. Is this a genuine mistake or are Play.com intentionally ripping off people?

I won't be buying anything else till this is fixed.
    Don't know if it'll do any good, but at least it's something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

nice one - just sent a message too.
    The currencey convertor is using the wrong exchange rates for Euro customers. Please ensure that the rate is fixed to match the current banking exchange rates

I also sent a complaint to the European Consumer Centre a few weeks ago, but haven't had any response from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

even with the dodgy exchange rate there are still some bargains to be had. Madagascar is only €6.49 delivered. The Simpsons Movie is only €9.49 delivered. I also got the Bourne Supremacy and Oceans Thirteen for only €7.99 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

ablelocks wrote: »
    I also sent a complaint to the European Consumer Centre a few weeks ago, but haven't had any response from them.

Since they're based in the Channel Islands, I doubt very much that there's much hand the European consumer centre could have in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I've been using play recently. Who do people recommend as an alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

For books I use http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

mcgovern wrote: »

Ya, I use them for books. Wondering more about DVDs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

www.blahdvd.com is great for DVDs and games. They charge 1 quid sterling for delivery to ireland or 1.50 for 2 to 3 items. Works out better than using PLAY after you factor in the cost of using their exchange rate against the credit cards. Ordered a Wii game on Tuesday and it arrived today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

There's probably a sticky somewhere but I use:
    http://www.play.com/
    http://www.blahdvd.com/
    http://www.sendit.com/
    http://www13.cd-wow.com/
    http://www.thehut.com/
    http://www.movietyme.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

aaf wrote: »

TheHut.com say they don't deliver to Ireland. I started a new thread here but was then directed to the Charter & Resources thread. some good ones there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The prices of the TV boxsets look pretty good.

Complete seasons of DS9 for just e25 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Steak wrote: »
    TheHut.com say they don't deliver to Ireland.
    We're gone off topic here but just to confirm that despite what the site says they do deliver to Ireland and for no extra charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

steve 0 wrote: »
    We're gone off topic here but just to confirm that despite what the site says they do deliver to Ireland and for no extra charge.
    Yep. I've bought plenty from thehut.com with no issues whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Some of us consider the crazy exchange rate they use as an extra charge ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

ahh well that's good to know that they deliver here. hate to continue going off-topic but does anyone know if ASDA or Tesco deliver games, DVDs, CDs to Ireland?

surely though TheHut.com don't charge us the exchange rate. wouldn't that be done through your bank?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Yeah play.com are an absolute outrage. Haven't bought anything off them in over a year.
    A £14.99 item should be less than 20 euro and it retails on play.com for €23.49.

Absolute swindle.

Also agree with the above poster about not having a contact email. Absolute joke of an organization really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

The exchange rate is a joke but just picked up the Firefly box set for €15.49 - thought it was a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

never Never NEVER let an online retailer do a currency conversion for you. always Always ALWAYS take the GBP or USD price and let your bank convert to EUR.

In my experience, the rate the retailer applies includes a margin in their favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

TarfHead wrote: »
    never Never NEVER let an online retailer do a currency conversion for you. always Always ALWAYS take the GBP or USD price and let your bank convert to EUR.

In my experience, the rate the trailer applies includes a margin in their favour.

That's all well and good. Unfortunately , Play will not ship goods to Ireland unless you select Euro as your payment method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

In addition to their crappy rate they won't ship memory cards outside of the UK either :rolleyes:. I went on a wee shopping spree on the weekend and had nearly 300 yoyos in my cart until I went to check out and learned of both of these policies. So thats 300 saved then so :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

jayteecork wrote: »
    Yeah play.com are an absolute outrage. Haven't bought anything off them in over a year.
    A £14.99 item should be less than 20 euro and it retails on play.com for €23.49..

They actually include delivery charge in the exchange rate, so the "free delivery" is a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

And their delivery is painfully slow - I ordered a DVD 2 weeks ago only arrived last Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

eamon234 wrote: »
    And their delivery is painfully slow - I ordered a DVD 2 weeks ago only arrived last Thursday
    Not really.. I ordered a DVD last Saturday week and it was here on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Just to confirm, the Hut don't force you to use their exchange rate and they do deliver to Ireland for no added charge. For a lot of items I've bought recently, they've also turned out to be the cheapest.

Thehut hardly accept Laser/Irish Maestro by any chance?

Can't we as consumers do something about play.com's false advertising? If they're saying they've free delivery and then in fact don't shouldn't someone complain? to who though? They're outside the EU?
    I guess they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Not buying off them is all you can do, if you live outside Europe though you can pay in sterling:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭stek

try www.dvd.co.uk . they charge £1 for delivery but still work out cheaper. And their delivery is seriously quick! ordered somthing on sunday and had it that wednesday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭stek

I thought you could buy in sterling? then you get the banks exchange rate...

stek wrote: »
    I thought you could buy in sterling? then you get the banks exchange rate...

That used be the case but not anymore.

Lads and ladies..

Can we please cut down on the discussion about the unfair exchange rate on Play.com? We all know it's a joke but it seems to eat up every post for a bargain on Play.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Got myself Event Horizon (2 disc) - €6.49
    and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (PSP) - €15.49
    Chuffed that I got Event Horizon at that price... it always seems to be out of stock whenever I looked for it previously...

Very tempted to pick up firefly as well, decent price for one of my fave series...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

They seem to have sorted out the euro prices a bit
    Games that were 61.99 are all gone down to 55.99

Also,Bioshock on the 360 is E25.49 http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3440268/BioShock/Product.html

• Advertisement

ciano1 wrote: »
    They seem to have sorted out the euro prices a bit
    So they have.. fair fecks to them.

Hope it stays that way!

EDIT: For example, the 'Spaced' boxset (which is at £9.99) - I paid €16.49 for last week.. now it's €13.99.

Advertisement