Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Melbourne or Perth

• 13-03-2008 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Myself and one or two friends are doin the old cliche thing and heading off to Australia in a couple of months to live for a while then travel. We're still not sure which city we wanna live in, but we've narrowed it down to either Melbourne or Perth.

Can any one offer any advice as to which one is better? Some things that I and the others are looking for is (a) We dont mind irish people obviously but we dont wanna be COMPLETELY surrounded by them all the time (have heard sydney's like that) (b) good night-life (c) good beach (d) easy to find work and a flat etc....i guess the standard stuff.

Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Firstly do a search in this forum and the abroad one. There are countless threads already done. I'm living in Perth and most of my advice is in those threads and it has been helpful to others.

To summarise Perth -
    - good nightlife
    - easy to get jobs
    - handy to get nice accomodation
    - best beaches in Australia

I was only to be here 6 months but I love it so much I'm here 14 months now.
    - best women in Aistralia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

barclay2 wrote: »
    Myself and one or two friends are doin the old cliche thing and heading off to Australia in a couple of months to live for a while then travel. We're still not sure which city we wanna live in, but we've narrowed it down to either Melbourne or Perth.

Can any one offer any advice as to which one is better? Some things that I and the others are looking for is (a) We dont mind irish people obviously but we dont wanna be COMPLETELY surrounded by them all the time (have heard sydney's like that) (b) good night-life (c) good beach (d) easy to find work and a flat etc....i guess the standard stuff.

Anyone got any advice?

To echo what Xavi said.

Perth has really good nightlife, I didn't put much effort into the job hunt myself but there are defo jobs there, plenty of nice hostels and there are apartments available, the best beaches I would take his word on, as the I would with the woman too (I didn't think so).

Regarding Sydney yes there are a load of Irish there but normally around christmas time so it depends on what time of the year you are planning on stopping in a city for a while.

I loved Melbourne, its not too packed with Irish at all, but does get chilly during the Winter (our summer remember). St.Kilda is a great place to live and there is an OK beach there not great but not terrible.

If it were me I would go to Melbourne, but only because I didn't really live in Perth (only 6 weeks), while I stayed in Melbourne for 3 months so i knew it better. W efound it hard to get work but then again it was at the start of our trip so again not alot of effort was put in, some half ass attempts. A lot of our friends did find really good jobs though.

check out www.bugbitten.com/alanmurphy for my travel report and photos.

Advertisement