Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying pet fish in Cork

Options
  • 13-03-2008 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Can anybody give me any advice on buying tropical, freshwater fish in the Cork area, Cork city to be exact. Where can you get a good range of healthy fish for a home aquarium???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

fishpie wrote: »
    Can anybody give me any advice on buying tropical, freshwater fish in the Cork area, Cork city to be exact. Where can you get a good range of healthy fish for a home aquarium???:confused:

hi theres one in midleton
    Address: Unit 20 Midleton Business Prk, Dwyer's Road
    Town: Midleton
    County: Cork
    Phone: 021 4858889
    Fax: www.finsnthings.ie
    URL:
    E-Mail: Click here to send e-mail!
    or
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/detailsSea...9999_1511&tab=
    and theres one at the magic roundabout towards the airport road called HANLEYS,its a garden centre and good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mand123

Hi Id like to recommend Pisces aquatic shop down Maylor Street next to Smyths toy shop. It may be small but the guy in their has been in the trade for 16 years so if you have any questions hed be well equipped with knowledge. I still have fish from him that i bought nearly 2 years ago. There is a shop on North Main Street but I have wasted a ton of money in that shop and customer service has little to be desired. Other than that Id agree with Davey180 fins and things in middleton great place:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fishpie

thanks for the advice, I'm still a bit away from getting fish but I'll certainly check out your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Hi fishpie,
    Glad to see that you are preparing to get a fish tank. Do you have any idea what type of fish you want (community, cichlids, marine ...) or is it too early yet ? ;-) There certainly is a lot of (pleasant) work involved in planning such a project.
    The best advice I could give you is to plan a tank that is as big as you can both afford and house ; the bigger it is, the easier it is to keep your parameters stable.
    I definitely would advise fins'n'things in Midleton (see coordinates in Davey180's post above). They are very friendly and certainly know their stuff.
    If you need any further advice on fish keeping, there is plenty of happy mostly Irish fishkeepers at hand on www.irishfishkeepers.com. It's a discussion forum and there is a lot of knowledge, experience and reading to be shared there too. :-)
    Kindest regards,
    Valerie
    connaught.fishkeeping.society[AT]gmail.com

Hello Valerie,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm about a week and a half away from putting fish in the tank, depending on final ph levels. I got an 80 litre tank and i was thinking of a community of fish, any suggestions? I'll definitely check out your website suggestion, every little bit of info helps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

@ fishpie,
    You are more than welcome. Anything I can do to help!
    Fins'n'things will be of very good advice when you go down to buy your fish. The one recommendation I would give you is to try and match the fish to your water parameters rather than the other way around.
    If your tank is not quite matured (ie. the beneficial bacteria have not colonised your filter and are unable to transform the ammonia into nitrite and the nitrite into nitrates), just get a couple of hardy fish (such as danio for example) and keep them on their own for a couple of weeks. Once the tank has matured, you can start building up your collection (slowly). If you haven't purchased it yet, get a test kit for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, it's one of these things you can't do without.
    As far as the type of community fish you can get ... there are plenty of types out there. Beware that tetras tend to be fin nippers, gouramis are no angels and can be quite agressive), siamese fighters are gorgeous but are not very long lived. You might want to get some sucker type fish such as bristlenose (they don't grow too big - most plecos are tank busters) as a bottom dwellers and cleaning cute little creatures.
    The rule of thumb for the density is 1cm of fish per litre of water (don't forget that your decor takes up volume, so you might want to substract something from your 80l).
    Any questions, just ask...
    Regards,
    Valerie

Thanks again for the info Valerie:)

Advertisement