Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car keyed - will it affect resale value?

Options
  • 13-03-2008 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

my car was scratched with a key on the passenger side door and quarter panel the other day. im getting it fixed and resprayed but im just wondering will this affect the resale value of the car? i never really thought of it until now but is a car that has been scratched and professionally repaired worth less than a car that has never been scratched to begin with?

the car is a 00 VW Golf if that matters.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

if it's done properly then you shouldn't have an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's done right then no - it shouldn't be a problem. If the paint job is done right it should be practically unnoticeable.

A problem arises if a potential buyer spots that the car has been repainted in places. This will obviously raise the question "was this car in a serious accident..." which can cause concerns for the buyer.

Consider taking some photos of the key damage and a copy of the repair invoice to allay any fears that a future buyer may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

crosstownk wrote: »
    Consider taking some photos of the key damage and a copy of the repair invoice to allay any fears that a future buyer may have.

thats a good idea. might use it sometime but i hope not to need to ;)

sorry to hear that OP. people that do that should be shot IMO :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

thanks for the help everyone, im glad to hear that it wont hit me too hard when the time comes to sell it. thanks for the advice crosstownk, i will take pictures in the morning.

D_Murph I have to agree with you there. Its terrible knowing the damage that someone can do with a quick swipe of a key and the pricks just carry on with their day:mad:

thanks again guys

Advertisement