Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick fish

Options
  • 13-03-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭

I have a fish who seems to have some kind of fungal growth on his skin/scales (white stuff). Anyone know what it is and how I treat it? He is spending a lot of time underneath the pump so I presume he's having trouble getting oxygen in. I'm a novice at this stuff, but we really tried to maintain good water quality (changing 10% a week, washing filter in tank water etc.).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can't think of the name at the moment - but you can get treatment from any good petshop - Ask the shop assistant & they should be able to sort you out with the correct treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

hi there
    its been a while since i had fish but is it like cotton or spots a white film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

fits wrote: »
    I have a fish who seems to have some kind of fungal growth on his skin/scales (white stuff). Anyone know what it is and how I treat it? He is spending a lot of time underneath the pump so I presume he's having trouble getting oxygen in. I'm a novice at this stuff, but we really tried to maintain good water quality (changing 10% a week, washing filter in tank water etc.).
    25% is the normal water change every week depends on the size of tank and filter systems adarted for the tank.what size is your tank what type filter ,how long have you started this hobby,what fish ye have.as for fungal growth they are differant types of diseases.Have you pics of ye fish cllose up i might able to tell you whats wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭fits

davey180 wrote: »
    25% is the normal water change every week depends on the size of tank and filter systems adarted for the tank.what size is your tank what type filter ,how long have you started this hobby,what fish ye have.as for fungal growth they are differant types of diseases.Have you pics of ye fish cllose up i might able to tell you whats wrong.

Its a 20 litre tank (I think, years since we bought it) with an activated carbon filter. Tank is more upright and hexagonal. Its a goldfish and we have him two months.

I thought it was 10% a week :eek:

No pics I'm afraid.

cobweb wrote: »
    hi there
    its been a while since i had fish but is it like cotton or spots a white film?

yes, it looks like that.

• Advertisement

Its a 20 litre tank (I think, years since we bought it) with an activated carbon filter. Tank is more upright and hexagonal. Its a goldfish and we have him two months.

I thought it was 10% a week :eek:

No pics I'm afraid.
    5 litres is a sufficent change of the water ok.if its cotton or white spot (usually occurs in new tank as new parasites form)can be treated with http://www.fishfurfeather.com/images/interpet/AquariumTreatment6.jpg
    Two months ok did you get the filter with it?did you cycle the tank(no fish in tank for two weeks,just water and filter running)
    Gold fish is not tropical so you dont need heater,if you have take it out as they are coldwater fish.
    where the water comming from?

Two months ok did you get the filter with it?did you cycle the tank(no fish in tank for two weeks,just water and filter running)

Nope... I knew this should be done, but OH bought the fish without telling me or doing his research. Filter came with the tank. Also the tank is located in a dark corner and we have the light on 12 hours a day or so.
    Gold fish is not tropical so you dont need heater,if you have take it out as they are coldwater fish.
    where the water comming from?

I dont have a heater and the water is coming from a small shared reservoir (i.e should be no chlorine or other additives)

Nope... I knew this should be done, but OH bought the fish without telling me or doing his research. Filter came with the tank. Also the tank is located in a dark corner and we have the light on 12 hours a day or so.

thats ok

I dont have a heater and the water is coming from a small shared reservoir (i.e should be no chlorine or other additives)
    thats ok

how often do you clean the filter system
    take sample of the tank water to a pet shop they will test it for you and will tell whats your water like and also take your (if you are using tap water) sample too.

how often do you clean the filter system
    once a week
    take sample of the tank to a pet shop they will test it for you and will tell whats your water like and also take your (if you are using tap water) sample too.

Rightio. I'll do that next week. And will treat fish asap.

by the way how do you multi qoute as what you did just now as i hit the multi quote button and it goes red and nothig happens?

• Advertisement

by the way how do you multi qoute as what you did just now as i hit the multi quote button and it goes red and nothig happens?

when it goes red, the next time you click 'post a reply' the posts you selected will be quoted. In your case though, I just split the quoted post up by putting in

edit: d'oh! quote me and read in reply box to see what I've written.

Thanks for the help :)

[

edit: d'oh! [PHP]quote me and read in reply box to see what I've written[/PHP].

edit:
    d'oh! quote me and read in reply box to see what I've written.

by the way how do you multi qoute as what

not quite right i'll just have to pratice thanks for help and good luck on ye gold fish hope they be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I reckon 20 litre tank is too small but we can leave that for another day.

Your problem is either slime/velvet disease. They are easily treated with general Interpet remedies.

You are cleaning your filter too often. The water changes every week is perfect but cleaning the filter does reduce the bacteria present on the sponge. Double edged sword particularly in such a small tank, as you are removing physical detritus that cause Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia but at the same time removing the "friendly bacteria" that removes it. It also goes without saying that the filter should be cleaned in tank water and not under the tap.

Try cleaning the filter once a month instead, you will notice a big difference in water quality.

If you do buy a treatment for the velvet/slime be sure to increase the aeration of the water. The remedies remove a lot of oxygen from the water so be aware of that. If you point the outlet of the filter towards the surface of the water it should aggitate it enough. If you need any advice/help send me a pm.

Good luck,

Peter.

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    I reckon 20 litre tank is too small but we can leave that for another day.

Your problem is either slime/velvet disease. They are easily treated with general Interpet remedies.

You are cleaning your filter too often. The water changes every week is perfect but cleaning the filter does reduce the bacteria present on the sponge. Double edged sword particularly in such a small tank, as you are removing physical detritus that cause Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia but at the same time removing the "friendly bacteria" that removes it. It also goes without saying that the filter should be cleaned in tank water and not under the tap.

Try cleaning the filter once a month instead, you will notice a big difference in water quality.

If you do buy a treatment for the velvet/slime be sure to increase the aeration of the water. The remedies remove a lot of oxygen from the water so be aware of that. If you point the outlet of the filter towards the surface of the water it should aggitate it enough. If you need any advice/help send me a pm.

Good luck,

Peter.
    You are cleaning your filter too often
    i always clean my filter every time im cleaning it,if you dont clean it tends to glog up and no flow will go through and yes the fish will get sick

Any decent filter will not clog up after a week, particularly if the tank houses one Goldfish. Once a week is way too often to clean an internal filter IMHO.

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Any decent filter will not clog up after a week, particularly if the tank houses one Goldfish. Once a week is way too often to clean an internal filter IMHO.
    i had a 120 litre tank with about 11 speices of fish and used a internal 170 litre cappacity and it always clog up in a week so i decided to get a lager tank.I got a 250 fluval tank with a external supplied with it to my amazement ,clearer,cleaner,less work,and now only change every month thank god!
    whats IMHO.?

once a week

Rightio. I'll do that next week. And will treat fish asap.
    any progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

i had a 120 litre tank with about 11 speices of fish and used a internal 170 litre cappacity and it always clog up in a week so i decided to get a lager tank.I got a 250 fluval tank with a external supplied with it to my amazement ,clearer,cleaner,less work,and now only change every month thank god!
    whats IMHO.?
    Cleaning filter once a week is way to much once a month at most is ok.
    imho
    in my honest opnion

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Frequency of cleaning the filter ...

It depends on the tank, the filter, its inhabitants and whether you have plants in the tank. It's up to anyone to find the right frequency depending on how quick the filter clogs up. However, what is important here is that the filter media (sponges) never gets fully cleaned under the tap. If it really needs it, do half of the media only as the chlorine in the water would destroy the beneficial bacteria. For routine 'clean', just rince your media in the tank's dirty water you just removed.
    I hope this helps.

Valerie
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Advertisement

its strange why my old filter kept clogging every week,i had never used plants as i thinks they are a bother to use.Ive always clean the filter media with the water from the tank,when i started doing this hobby i did clean the media with tap water and a few days later white spots,fish were lacking air,suddently i lost all me bleeding fish after paying a fortune for the fish.The problem id say that i never asked the pet shop how to start or begginners guide to tropical fish.As this board site has given me a great start about fish keeping and i must say thanks to whoever is on this forum for the help,sorry and the members too for the help otherwise my fish wouldnt be alive now.:):)

Yep, that is the beauty of discussion forums. I must say I did start my fishkeeping without any disaster thanks to the help that is available out there (the good old internet) ! :-)

Again, depending on what you are keeping, I find plants are great. In addition to providing some cover for the fish, it really give the tank a nice look. I am not very good with plants (the non-aquatic type) but I find the ones in my tank do resist quite well. ;-D

Valerie

ValerieR wrote: »
    Yep, that is the beauty of discussion forums. I must say I did start my fishkeeping without any disaster thanks to the help that is available out there (the good old internet) ! :-)

Again, depending on what you are keeping, I find plants are great. In addition to providing some cover for the fish, it really give the tank a nice look. I am not very good with plants (the non-aquatic type) but I find the ones in my tank do resist quite well. ;-D

Valerie
    i keep
    2 Oscar
    2 parrot
    2 angels
    1 red tailed sharkfish
    1 golden severum
    1 large catfish
    2 plecos
    1 gourami
    1 kissing gourami
    and i use the artificial plants.they are all about 2 years old now but the oscar are greedy feckers.

Yep - you probably are better off with articificial plants all right ! they defo wouldn't last long with your lot ;-)

Valerie

any progress?

Well he is still with us. I tried to clean some more of the detritus, and did a substantial water change. He has also been treated with that medication, but no real progress as yet. I still feel like he's not getting enough air. Anyway, I'm going to leave it for a few days and see if he improves.

Well he is still with us. I tried to clean some more of the detritus, and did a substantial water change. He has also been treated with that medication, but no real progress as yet. I still feel like he's not getting enough air. Anyway, I'm going to leave it for a few days and see if he improves.
    air?Have you any idea what make is your internal filter is?As some filter have adapter supplied to create air like this systemAquarium_Fllter.JPG

The medication will strip the water of oxygen, get a pump and airstone or make sure the filter aggitates the surface of the water to help the oxygen exchange.

I've altered the pump outlet so that more air is getting in. Fish looks better too. I think he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 super ted rules

Cleaning filter once a week is way to much once a month at most is ok.
    imho
    in my honest opnion

I like fish

• Advertisement

Well Freddy the fish is no longer covered in the white stuff. And he's not spending too much time at the surface either, but I'm still not happy.

Now he's got a black mark on one of his gills, and he's not very active. He's quite still in the tank and doing a lot of starting to sink, and then recovering (if that makes any sense). I think the water should be ok now.

He wasnt interested in any food there this evening either (he is definitely not overfed).

apologies for my novice descriptions.

Advertisement