Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick fish

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

fits wrote: »
    Well Freddy the fish is no longer covered in the white stuff. And he's not spending too much time at the surface either, but I'm still not happy.

Now he's got a black mark on one of his gills, and he's not very active. He's quite still in the tank and doing a lot of starting to sink, and then recovering (if that makes any sense). I think the water should be ok now.

He wasnt interested in any food there this evening either (he is definitely not overfed).

apologies for my novice descriptions.
    not your fault fits at least you tried everthing,i wish i could help here as the black mark on his gill i wish i knew what it is???Im sure someone here might just help ya with this.Dont give up on the fish awile as help migt come.sorry, i hope he inproves later.

i dont know if its this FITS look at this link
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Fish-1472/black-marks-outside-gills.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well it doesnt really matter what it was now :(

He deteriorated really quickly and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Shane and I are sorry for your loss - we were watching your progress and hoping that your fish was going to be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Any decent filter will not clog up after a week, particularly if the tank houses one Goldfish. Once a week is way too often to clean an internal filter IMHO.

Totally agree, your bacteria are taking a beating.

• Advertisement

Well it doesnt really matter what it was now :(

He deteriorated really quickly and died.
    im sorry to hear ye fish is gone

Jimkel wrote: »
    Totally agree, your bacteria are taking a beating.
    everyone was trying to help imo it maybe not the bacteria that caused it as the fish may have develped black spot it has nothing to do with the filter changes only the water its self i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I really am baffled that he died so quickly, really thought he was going to be fine and that I had cracked it.

Anyway, next time (which wont be for a while) I'm going to,
    use a decent pet store
    cycle the tank properly
    buy medication in advance so fish can be treated properly at early stages,
    and get the water tested before we get the fish and at regular intervals until we're pretty happy that all is ok.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I really am baffled that he died so quickly, really thought he was going to be fine and that I had cracked it.

Anyway, next time (which wont be for a while) I'm going to,
    use a decent pet store
    cycle the tank properly
    buy medication in advance so fish can be treated properly at early stages,
    and get the water tested before we get the fish and at regular intervals until we're pretty happy that all is ok.
    you did all ye can.The idea that you quoted would be the best thing to do if you want to start again.Ask anyone in the pet shop they should help and require what you need to start again.The same things have happened to me and the good thing i learnt from it.My oscar as i started a thread about him made me realise that the needs for fish is confusing and got help and it worked thanks to anyone who helped me on that.Im not a fish expert but to ask for help was a good need for it.I hope it goes well for you in the future for fish keeping and theres always help when you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

davey180 wrote: »
    everyone was trying to help imo it maybe not the bacteria that caused it as the fish may have develped black spot it has nothing to do with the filter changes only the water its self i think.

I just offered my opinion. Im not saying the fish died cause he cleaned the filter out weekly, just saying his bacteria are taking a beating....By the way Healthy bacterial colony converting Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates = good water quality. Depleted Bacterial colony = poor water quality and as a result fish illness and eventually death.

• Advertisement
Advertisement