Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Medicine - Physics or Biology

Options
  • 13-03-2008 9:53pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13

I've to decide my subjects by tomorrow (I know, last minute or what?). I'm really interested in Medicine and always have been.

Am definitely doing French and Chemistry, but I am torn between which second Science to do.I'm definitely stronger at Physics, but have been told Biology is, nowadays, a lot more helpful.

I would do all three, but I want to take another Art, either Music or Geography, as I'm interested in English, too.

PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

cuppcakes! wrote: »
    I've to decide my subjects by tomorrow (I know, last minute or what?). I'm really interested in Medicine and always have been.

Am definitely doing French and Chemistry, but I am torn between which second Science to do.I'm definitely stronger at Physics, but have been told Biology is, nowadays, a lot more helpful.

I would do all three, but I want to take another Art, either Music or Geography, as I'm interested in English, too.

PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Science at JC it’s so easy. don’t even consider it’s anything like it or a little problematical... there is a huge different in it at all subjects in science , if you are into the body then choose biology it’s really a essential to know would u like to studied Medicine at level 8 after all Medicine is over 560 +++ and not everyone gets into the course. If you choose Physics you will need higher level maths

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 cuppcakes!

We'll I'm in TY now and we've started the physics course and I'm well able for it. I'm definitely doing higher maths and I intend to do Medicine in Ireland, yeah. I hope I'd get the points anyway. I'm doing Chem for a chance to get into the five yr course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Brooke01 wrote: »
    ...If you choose Physics you will need higher level maths

Untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

well very obviously (at least to me anyway) Biology is definitly the option if your doing medicine:)

Medicine is over 560 +++ and not everyone gets into the course. If you choose Physics you will need higher level maths

well, i have two problems with this post.

first is less of a problem but more of your (or mine) misinformation, wasnt the change to 450 with aptitude etc confirmed for next years CAO applicants?

and two, while it may be advantaeous to have higher maths IT IS NOT essential, im doing it and am doing OL maths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

woa, wait, what?

Choosing subjects for the leaving cert? Now? March?

Thats silly. In my day you pretty much chose your classes on the first day of 4th year: those sheets youve been given are just a guideline so they know how many teachers to assign to where. If you change your mind later its not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

Chemistry and biology. absolutely.
    forget physics, whilst you will do it in pre med(assuming u go to UCD but you mentioned five yr course so i'm guessing that is where you want to go) it reallyis not needed after. Anyway, pre med physics first semester is impossible.......there are some serious physic's brains in our class (you know the type 6,7,8 A1S all in the mathsy kind of subjects) and they found physics impossible in fist semester because the lecturer we have likes to hate pre meds.......even the post grads giving us tutorials told us they would not have been able to do some of our tests.......and apparently he used to put sums on it that he could not even do. Don't ask....bane of our lives in semester one.
    Anyway, rant over. A good grounding in biology will set you up for a better understanding in modulea such as medical genetics, cell biology. Chemistry is vital. Esp on first med onwards........................BIOCHEM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I know quite a few people in pre-med UCD, and from what they tell me, the hardest part of the pre-med course is the physics, so I would recommend you do the physics for leaving so set some foundations.

Biology is something that's easy enough to catch up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Considering they'd pretty much have to re-teach you biology from the ground up in a medical degree, yes, I'd wager the one to ditch might be biology. But take it anyway because you would be more interested in that so it'll be an easier A1H for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Not choosing Biology shows a distinct lack of interest for medicine (even if you do need to relearn it all)

If there is one place left on a course and they are choosing between 2 people with exactly the same points, one who did Physics and the other Biology, they'll take the person with Biology.

I've heard people in first year medicine (in UCD anyway) give out about Physics, but it's more an annoyance for them than a major block to their studies.

• Advertisement

If there is one place left on a course and they are choosing between 2 people with exactly the same points, one who did Physics and the other Biology, they'll take the person with Biology.

Generally the CAO use random selection to allocate places when results are tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Sean_K wrote: »
    Generally the CAO use random selection to allocate places when results are tied.

here is what you do: chose french chemistry biolgy and physics. then next year, after a week of each subject, change the one you like least to music/art/geography.

that's assuming they let you change subjects next year. they did in my school. i think biology would be better. i do physics, and there not much about medicine in it, only Xrays. if you wanna be a doctor, you're better off doin biology.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Biology definately

Very little in the physics course, if anything, you could apply to medicine.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

I do all 3 sciences because I thought I was going to do medicine and apply to UCAS. If you have UCAS in mind I would do physics but otherwise I would choose a nice handy points subject like Geography. You'll learn everything you need science wise in Medicine, the Leaving Cert is a points getting excercise and little more.

Of course it is good to do things that will interest you but you have to make sure you have a few bankers in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 suprfantastisch

Might be a little harsh of me to say biology is science for dummies compared to the other two..but that's the idea..definitely the easiest..genetics is annoying but then again, so is electricity. Hope you chose biology. I feel I was born to drive people away from physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Doesn't matter imo which you take(took?), I suppose the priority at this stage is getting the points to get into the course.
    Very little in the physics course, if anything, you could apply to medicine.

Wrong. Name an area of the physics course and Ill give you an example of a medical technique/concept based on some principle from it.
    Sean_K wrote:
    I know quite a few people in pre-med UCD, and from what they tell me, the hardest part of the pre-med course is the physics

qft, quite a few people in my pre-med class are worried about the physics final. That said, it's not so hard that one ought take physics for te LC to get a foundation imo.

Not choosing Biology shows a distinct lack of interest for medicine (even if you do need to relearn it all)

I lol'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

ian.f wrote: »
    I do all 3 sciences because I thought I was going to do medicine and apply to UCAS. If you have UCAS in mind I would do physics but otherwise I would choose a nice handy points subject like Geography. You'll learn everything you need science wise in Medicine, the Leaving Cert is a points getting excercise and little more.

Of course it is good to do things that will interest you but you have to make sure you have a few bankers in there too.

I wouldn't call Geography an "easy" subject. Had I done it, I know I would have still done better in physics. If you're mathematically minded, Physics should be an easy A1. A lot of it problems based and the definitions are mostly repeating formulae.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Wrong. Name an area of the physics course and Ill give you an example of a medical technique/concept based on some principle from it.
    Electromagnetism?
    Reflection?
    Velocity?
    Gravity?
    Moments?
    Circular Motion?

Electromagnetism?
    Reflection?
    Velocity?
    Gravity?
    Moments?
    Circular Motion?

Electromagnetism: MRI scanning
    Reflection: Optics and vision, far points, near points
    Moments: Forces on joints and tendons
    Circular Motion: G-forces, motion sickness, centrifuge testing etc.

The (immense) area of medical imaging and diagnostics is where a knowledge of physics would be most handy, especially in areas where radiation is used. Its not necessary, but the point you made was about application, and to be quite honest physics can be applied to nearly any semi-technical field :rolleyes:But this is somewhat off-topic.

(is it me, or do the same topics seem to be rehashed every few months on this forum in particular?)]

• Advertisement

Heh, ok , I take it back so.

But in the L.C course, very little reference to medicene is made, apart from in radiarion and lenses. I'd still recommend biology over physics.

Heh, ok , I take it back so.

But in the L.C course, very little reference to medicene is made, apart from in radiarion and lenses. I'd still recommend biology over physics.

From what I hear, you pretty much have to relearn the biology course once you get to college, so the benefit of LC biology is debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Electromagnetism: MRI scanning
    Reflection: Optics and vision, far points, near points
    Moments: Forces on joints and tendons
    Circular Motion: G-forces, motion sickness, centrifuge testing etc.

The (immense) area of medical imaging and diagnostics is where a knowledge of physics would be most handy, especially in areas where radiation is used. Its not necessary, but the point you made was about application, and to be quite honest physics can be applied to nearly any semi-technical field :rolleyes:But this is somewhat off-topic.

(is it me, or do the same topics seem to be rehashed every few months on this forum in particular?)]

but im sure if someone gave you a list of biology topics, you could talk for hours abiut how it relates to medicine.

where does Keplers third law come up in medicine?

Peleus wrote: »
    but im sure if someone gave you a list of biology topics, you could talk for hours abiut how it relates to medicine.

where does Keplers third law come up in medicine?
    That's a silly point.

One could just as easily ask where does plant reproduction come up in medicine?

Peleus wrote: »

You're right - but if you had followed the posts, you would see that I was making that point about physics because its relevance to medicine was being disputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 raver22

hey, well im in 1st yr med now and i'd recommend biology after all it is the basis of alot of the subjects you will be studying....but then again gettin into med is all about the points (unfortunately) so perhaps you would be better off doing physics if you can guarantee yourself getting the a1.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Fad wrote: »
    well, i have two problems with this post.

first is less of a problem but more of your (or mine) misinformation, wasnt the change to 450 with aptitude etc confirmed for next years CAO applicants?

and two, while it may be advantaeous to have higher maths IT IS NOT essential, im doing it and am doing OL maths

I comprehend that but that subjected to 2009 course, also I still not contemplate it will be so low of points; we will all just have to wait and see. But some why I don’t believe medicine could go so low. And also for Physics you would require a large deal of knowledge and penchant of maths to attempt this course. You will not merely want to trust the newspapers of what they say about the points. After all the newspapers are been know for erroneous information and ambiguous and misleading information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

From a final med student - Physics is the better choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Doctor Dee

Do Physics.

biology is easier to pick up in first year in college.

Most of my students who are set on medicine have been advised to do Physics and Chem.

Definitely do physics.

Even if it wasnt your strongest, I'd still say do it.

Doctor Dee

• Advertisement

I comprehend that but that subjected to 2009 course, also I still not contemplate it will be so low of points; we will all just have to wait and see. But some why I don’t believe medicine could go so low. And also for Physics you would require a large deal of knowledge and penchant of maths to attempt this course. You will not merely want to trust the newspapers of what they say about the points. After all the newspapers are been know for erroneous information and ambiguous and misleading information

never read it in a paper :)

Advertisement