Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subject Choice: HELP

• 13-03-2008 9:56pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13

I've to decide my subjects by tomorrow (I know, last minute or what?). I'm really interested in Medicine and always have been.

Am definitely doing French and Chemistry, but I am torn between which second Science to do.I'm definitely stronger at Physics, but have been told Biology is, nowadays, a lot more helpful.

I would do all three, but I want to take another Art, either Music or Geography, as I'm interested in English, too.

PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Zebby

Yeah, I've to have mine chosen by tomorrow too. I've got EnglishIrishMath, French, Music, Chemistry and Physics. I spent ages on the Sciences, cos I wanted to do all of them... Came down on the side of Physics and Chemistry because I'm one of those freaky mathslovers... :D
    And if the aim is to do Medicine, we were told that the only necessary science is Chemistry. Biology might help with Medicine, but why not go for the Art? *cough*music*cough*
    Bon chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

I'm also interested in doing Med, I was advised to take Biology as it also counts for lots of other medical-related sciences, like I know you need Biology for nursing or to become a dietician. How much better are you at Physics than Biology?? Do you have a careers teacher in your school?? Because thats the person to talk to, because they'll know exactly what you need and will also have an idea of what kind of student you are. If your careers teacher in school isn't great I know there are private careers advisers aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Like everyone on this thread (apparently), I too am interested in med.

Subjects I picked were:

Chem, Bio, App. Maths, French and I'll do Physics outside school.

The main reason though is that I think I'll do best in these subjects as I have an genuine interest in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 magic&fireworks

I think you should all stop worrying about subjects, just pick the ones you're good and you like.
    There's nothing worse than trying to study something you hate!!It's fried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

cuppcakes! wrote: »
    I've to decide my subjects by tomorrow (I know, last minute or what?). I'm really interested in Medicine and always have been.

Am definitely doing French and Chemistry, but I am torn between which second Science to do.I'm definitely stronger at Physics, but have been told Biology is, nowadays, a lot more helpful.

I would do all three, but I want to take another Art, either Music or Geography, as I'm interested in English, too.

PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

id defo advise biology...its so interesting as a subject and possibly more useful to you for med anyway... also, id say points wise youll be a lot better off too, physics is supposedly a nightmare to gather them in, whereas biology is cool for it...ya can kinda blab a bit in the exam like...

ive been doing bio for 3 years now and its defo my fave, really diverse and you can interact with it like...gives ya a good understanding of whats going on around ya i think...
    anyways,hope that helps!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I doubt that Biology is more helpful than physics. IN fact what I've heard is

a) physics is more necessary for careers in medicine (understanding the transfer of heat is a must, amongst other things)

b) you can pick biology up at anytime, physics and chemistry you need a good background in when you're in school

I don't reckon that either music or geography will help you a lot with english. IN fact, I'd say history is the subject for that. But music is a nice subject to pick if you're a competent musician (much, much prefereably classicly trained/done JC music/you ACTUALLY know what you're doing [don't mean to be patronising, but so many pick music for the leaving because they like the beatles without realising what's actually involved])

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HughOS

^^ Yeah our career guidance teacher told us that too.

I'm interested in med as well and I've picked Chemistry, Physics and Design & Comm. Chemistry because it's required and physics because I find it more interesting than biology. Our science teacher told us that LC biology had a lot of plant bio in it and was quite boring. Physics will be much more beneficial, plus you can easily pick up biology in college. Med schools are only looking to cover anatomy etc anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 -fife-

You don't have to do chemistry to do medicine, just any two science subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

Id assume you do chemistry and biology, physics is a hard, confusing subject for Leaving Cert, there are loads of theorums you have to learn off and have been proved to be wrong...
    Im doing Chemistry and Biology as well even though I was better at Physics in the Junior Cert...

Im thinking of going into medicine too either that or financing which is why im going into TY.

Advertisement