Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DkIT and DCU 'Links'

• 13-03-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

When is a merger not a merger?

From the Indo some weeks back

Colleges in link-up talks

Dublin City University and Dundalk Institute of Technology are involved in high-level discussions which could see DKIT students becoming DCU graduates.

The two colleges are considering a linkage agreement, but not a merger which would give Dundalk IT a foot in the university sector, allowing DKIT degree courses to be accredited by DCU and its students recognised as DCU students.

Would this be good thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I would say yes, as it looks better for employers.

Much like a 'D' reg car, it's more accepted.

In reality there is no difference, but it's all in employer's heads.

If you try to sell a 'D' reg car and an 'LH' car for example, guess which one would fetch the most cash?

Can't see what's in it for DCU though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Well, DCU is a somewhat more prestigious awarding institution than HETAC, but I can't see why this would happen for either party. Surely, DKIT has plans to become eventually an institution with full degree-awarding powers (i.e., up to and including doctoral level) by itself. Similarly, I can't see why DCU would seek to award degrees for an IT, when it already awards degrees itself in many subjects commonly found in ITs.

Advertisement