Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 10 rivalries

• 13-03-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

From a poll done in the UK they did a list of the top 10 rivalries and here's the results.

#1 West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers

#2 Norwich City and Ipswich Town

#3 Liverpool and Manchester United

#4 Portsmouth and Southampton

#5 Cardiff City and Swansea City

#6 Aston Villa and Birmingham City

#7 Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday

#8 Bristol City and Bristol Rovers

#9 Newcastle United and Sunderland

#10 Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Only 2 are non city related unless Brighton and Palace are close :confused:

How come welsh teams in it but not scottish or is it only clubs in the pyramid?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I can't remember the exact reason behind the Palace and Brighton rivalry but when they were playing in Division 1, Sky were making a big deal of it. It was a UK poll so I'm not sure as to how it was conducted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

McShane became a Brighton legend after scoring against Palace. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

no Celtic and Rangers???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Top World Rivalries IMO:

#1 Barcelona vs Real Madrid

#2 Celtic vs Rangers

#3 AS Roma vs Lazio

#4 River Plate vs Boca

#5 Juventus vs Torino

#6 Juventus vs Inter (Derby of Italy

#7 Fenerbache vs Galatasaray

#8 Liverpool vs Man Utd

#9 Inter vs AC Milan

#10 Ajax vs Feyenoord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That poll does not really instill confidence that it is worth the paper it is written on. Who done it? Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

does anyone know if this poll was done with match going fans of the teams in question or wat? just any punter walking down the street who may or may not have a breeze about football?

By country (excluding small fry)

England: Liverpool vs Man Utd

Scotland: Celtic vs Rangers

Italy: Juventus vs Inter Milan

Spain: Barcelona vs Real Madrid

France: Marseille vs PSG

Portugal: Benfica vs Sporting

Holland: Ajax vs Feyenoord

Turkey: Galatasary vs Fenerbache

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

When did Eindhoven relocate to France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

kensutz wrote: »

#6 Aston Villa and Birmingham City

Nothing glamourous about the second city derby just general brummy nastiness and chavness on the Blues side for the most part.

Not technically a Derby but the Derby of Italy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_d'Italia) for me always strikes as epic, certainly more Glamourous then Brum anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Rovers and Bohs is the biggest in Ireland.

Worldwide - Al Athy and Zamaelck in Cairo. Mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Rovers and Bohs is the biggest in Ireland.

Worldwide - Al Athy and Zamaelck in Cairo. Mayhem.

Thats where the Egyptian FA have to bring in European Refs is it not? i think Collina & Poll and others have made an appearance in the past

thank 442 for where i got that info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Good article on the biggest rivalry in world football;

http://www.channel4.com/sport/microsites/S/sportuncovered/barca.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The biggest Derbies are your own.

Rangers and Celtic fans don't give a toss about Egypt, or Madrid just as Norwich and Ipswich don't give a monkey's chuff what goes on in Glasgow.

Just Because Barca and Real involve two big names, it doesn't mean it is anymore important to their fans than a Dublin Derby is to Bohs and Rovers fans.

Thats where the Egyptian FA have to bring in European Refs is it not? i think Collina & Poll and others have made an appearance in the past

thank 442 for where i got that info!

yes, they reckon local refs will be in danger, so import them. a guy i work with is an al-athy fan and has gone home for the game. 100,000 fans split on political, class and religious lines. a muslim old firm in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

it doesn't mean it is anymore important to their fans than a Dublin Derby is to Bohs and Rovers fans.

I disagree, some rivalries are about more than just the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Top World Rivalries IMO:

#1 Barcelona vs Real Madrid

#2 Celtic vs Rangers

#3 AS Roma vs Lazio

#4 River Plate vs Boca

#5 Juventus vs Torino

#6 Juventus vs Inter (Derby of Italy

#7 Fenerbache vs Galatasaray

#8 Liverpool vs Man Utd

#9 Inter vs AC Milan

#10 Ajax vs Feyenoord

1, 2 8 and 10 must be pish takes.

You forgot:
    Hajduk Split – Dinamo Zagreb
    Cracovia – Wisla Krakow
    Widzew Lodz - LKS Lodz
    CSKA Moscow – Lokomotiv Moscow
    Red Star Belgrade - FK Partizan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

West Ham V Millwall not be there somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kensutz wrote: »

#10 Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace.

I'm sorry, but that isn't even the biggest derby in Brighton...:D

No Spurs-Arsenal? Or Spurs-West Ham/Chelsea (certainly two of the liveliest in terms of policing)? Rangers-Celtic? Liverpool-Everton? Fcuk it, Millwall-QPR? Chelsea-Fulham?

And if we're allowed include non-city pairs...

Leeds-ManYoo? Aberdeen-Rangers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Turns out this was done by Littlewoods (the Pools people)
    Through the Football Fans Census we questioned almost 6,000 passionate football fans across all 92 League clubs, to identify who they thought were their biggest footballing rivals.

Having found out who those rivals were, we then asked why they were their biggest adversaries, to understand whether it was because:

* they are neighbours
    * they have always been rivals, for whatever reason
    * they're jealous, because their rivals have been more successful
    * they meet regularly in the league
    * or because the rivalry goes much deeper than football

Armed with those answers, our statisticians have put together a league table of the top rivalries using a complex formula based on:

* the survey responses of both sets of fans
    * the respective league and cup records of the two clubs
    * the regularity of league and cup meetings between the rivals
    * the two clubs' records when playing each other
    * the impact on attendances when they meet
    * transfers between the clubs, and fans' reactions to those transfers
    * off-the-field factors, such as media coverage of the rivalry

Explains the lack of Scottish sides (the Welsh sides all play in the Football League) but it still strikes me as a load of ****.

• Advertisement

The biggest Derbies are your own.

Rangers and Celtic fans don't give a toss about Egypt, or Madrid just as Norwich and Ipswich don't give a monkey's chuff what goes on in Glasgow.

Just Because Barca and Real involve two big names, it doesn't mean it is anymore important to their fans than a Dublin Derby is to Bohs and Rovers fans.

When a pig's head is thrown onto the pitch at a Bohs vs Rovers game I'll agree with you.

When a pig's head is thrown onto the pitch at a Bohs vs Rovers game I'll agree with you.

Like when we did this?

http://srfcultras.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rofl. Caught rapid.

PS - "We"?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Rofl. Caught rapid.

PS - "We"?

By 'we' I mean the bigger kids. Nothing to do with me at all. Honest. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

By 'we' I mean the bigger kids. Nothing to do with me at all. Honest. ;)

lol shams fan in admittance post.

mastercard dont do posts...

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    lol shams fan in admittance post.

mastercard dont do posts...

I'll reinact it so you can put it on youtube.... just to name and shame of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Have you ever been at a Dublin derby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Didn't dougal (Fr Ted) do a RTE series about the worldwide rivalries.
    South America and Turkey were the worst as far as I recall.

if Dougal said it, it must be true! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

how are we to define the biggest rivalries??

Liverpool/Man utd is the biggest rivalry in england but in terms of pure hatred it has nothing on chelsea/millwall (or millwall anybody for that matter :D) or wolves/west brom

i was watching a program about rival fans in south america where the journey home on the bus is a battle to stay alive, with opposition fans waiting to ambush the team coach on the outskirts of the rival city :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Mr Alan wrote: »
    if Dougal said it, it must be true! ;)

Jesus thats gre at ted.

But seriously though, Dougal did say it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Ross Kemp would sort them all out tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Any read this month's FourFourTwo? Great article about the Mansfield/Chesterfield rivalry that stems from the coal industry collapse in the 80s. They loathe each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ha ha ha that gave me a good laugh this morning , thank you.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

SectionF wrote: »
    Have you ever been at a Dublin derby?

Maybe he meant Pighead ?

When Pighead is thrown onto the pitch at a Bohs vs Rovers game I'll agree with you. !!!! lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Jazzy wrote: »
    Ross Kemp would sort them all out tbh

Ross Kemp can't even sort out his own missus..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lads.

Biggest rivalry in world football, a history so chequered that the fans of both clubs have to be physically restrained so the absolute hatred cannot be transformed into violence, death and worse.

Istanbul? pfft, kiddies playground stuff.

Glasgae? Get to be real, bunch of nancy boys.

Rotterdam/Amsterdam? Skinhead poofs.

Split/Zagreb? They'd all be hiding.

No lads.

The greatest derby in world football today.

Shelbourne vs Sporting Fingal.

'Ave It.

Your like the irish danny dyer aint ya des!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

dobsdave wrote: »
    Didn't dougal (Fr Ted) do a RTE series about the worldwide rivalries.
    South America and Turkey were the worst as far as I recall.

Yeah, the Athens derby was fairly mad as well.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Your like the irish danny dyer aint ya des!?
    Danny Dyer, that bloke off Eastenders, Chopper Read and DesF.

I actually live on Green Street.

• Advertisement

you're like the little hobbit getting shown the ropes ;)

rossie1977 wrote: »
    how are we to define the biggest rivalries??

Liverpool/Man utd is the biggest rivalry in england but in terms of pure hatred it has nothing on chelsea/millwall (or millwall anybody for that matter :D) or wolves/west brom

Liverpool/Man U is a big rivalry because they are two big clubs and sure Scousers and Mancs don;t get on well either but how many Mancunians support Man United:rolleyes:. There isn't the level of tribalism you would get at a Villa/Brum, Norwich/Ipswich or Pompey/Southampton game. These games are usually midday kick ofs on the instruction of the Police as much as Sky.

For Man United, you need to look at Leeds, who see it as a war of the roses rivalry or Man City who see it as Mancunians v Quentin from Surrey rivalry.

Millwall don't have anything like the violent following they used to have, but West Ham v Millwall is a nasty one, North of the River v South of the River is a big thing in London. Millwall and Chelsea used to be pretty nasty but that was more to do with rival "Firms" than anything else, most of which, thankfully, has now gone.

eZe^ wrote: »
    I disagree, some rivalries are about more than just the football.

That's my point.

I can only speak of my own derby against Southampton, but that involves a rivalry between the two cities. One a merchant port full of crack whores and sleaze, the other a glorious Naval Port created by Royal charter, full of tradition, class and glorious history;)

Pompey call Southampton Scum, the origins of this are disputed, but it is thought to date back to a general port workers strike when the Southampton Corporation Union Men broke the strike, forcing their Portsmouth brothers to cave in.

Southampton call Pompey "Skates" which is a local term for Sailors (Apparantly, when you have been at sea and not seen a woman for 6 months, a female skate can be a very good substitute:rolleyes:).

Pompey have all the history, won back to back league titles, held the FA cup for the longest, Southampton have very little history, but up until recently have been the more successful club in terms of league position. PLus the fact that the two clubs don;t play each other that often, so all the posturing etc gets pent up and only released rarely, which often boils over into trouble.

held the FA cup for the longest
    wtf?

Because if a war ffs, not football.

DesF wrote: »
    wtf?

Because if a war ffs, not football.

Read the rules, if the competition is not contested, the holder retains the cup.
    Pompey have held the FA cup for the longest :D

(Tenuous I know, but who cares:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Millwall don't have anything like the violent following they used to have, but West Ham v Millwall is a nasty one, North of the River v South of the River is a big thing in London. Millwall and Chelsea used to be pretty nasty but that was more to do with rival "Firms" than anything else, most of which, thankfully, has now gone.

I went to the Millwall V Bristol match last month (Don't ask), I was shocked at the fact that no one wears the Milwall Jersey, and I mean no one, Stone Island was definately the clothing of choice, the amount of police at the match was crazy too.
    Also there was a bit of trouble after the match.... so I really dont think the hooli element of Millwall has gone anywhere, at least they show strong face anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

DesF wrote: »
    Lads.

Biggest rivalry in world football, a history so chequered that the fans of both clubs have to be physically restrained so the absolute hatred cannot be transformed into violence, death and worse.

Istanbul? pfft, kiddies playground stuff.

Glasgae? Get to be real, bunch of nancy boys.

Rotterdam/Amsterdam? Skinhead poofs.

Split/Zagreb? They'd all be hiding.

No lads.

The greatest derby in world football today.

Shelbourne vs Sporting Fingal.

'Ave It.

I disagree......it has to be Galway Vs Mayo in the GAA :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The Seville Derby

In 1909, disagreement among some majority of the board of directors led to a split from which the Betis team was born; later in 1914 Real Betis Balompié was founded from the union of Betis FC and Sevilla Balompié. The board had wanted to hire professional players, but in Sevilla none were paid, so it was decided to create a new team.

On October 8, 1915, the first Sevilla-Betis derby took place, ending with a 4-3 Sevilla victory. The cross-town rivalry is considered one of the most violent derbies in Spain. As of the 2006/2007 season, 77 Sevilla derbies have been played in La Liga, of which Sevilla FC won 35, Real Betis won 26, and 16 ended in a draw.

During a quarterfinal match of the Copa del Rey on February 28, 2007, at Estadio Manuel Ruiz de Lopera, the game had to be suspended in the 60th minute due to a Betis aficionado throwing an object at former Sevilla manager Juande Ramos' head, subsequently knocking him out. Ramos had to be removed from the pitch on a stretcher and the Sevilla footballers abandoned the pitch in protest. Betis were condemned to their next 3 home matches being played in another venue by the Spanish Football Federation.

shoutman wrote: »
    I went to the Millwall V Bristol match last month (Don't ask), I was shocked at the fact that no one wears the Milwall Jersey, and I mean no one, Stone Island was definately the clothing of choice, the amount of police at the match was crazy too.
    Also there was a bit of trouble after the match.... so I really dont think the hooli element of Millwall has gone anywhere, at least they show strong face anyway.

It's still there, but apparantly a lot of it is young chavs trying to live up to a reputation. I rememebr the visit of Millwall would involve mounted police escorting them off the train, all the pubs around the ground closed before and after the game and the Millwall fans locked in while the police cleared the home fans away from the ground. There is still a large police presence, but it used to be really bad.

From what I hear, Cardiff have picked up the mantle of most violent fans in the football league now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

bohsman wrote: »
    The Seville Derby

Ah you beat me to it!

Didn't Real Betis play for a draw against Sevilla's relegation rivals on the final day of the 1996/97 season to relegate Sevilla?

• Advertisement
Advertisement