Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Almera 1996GX - 120K

Options
  • 13-03-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a Nissan Almera GX 1996 (1392cc) 4 door saloon with 120K.

does this car have a timing chain or timing belt?

if it has a timing chain - what is the maintenence schedule for it. Should it be tightened every 60K or something.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 plunkettrebel

I had a 95 Almera h/b for over 4 years, traded it in for a 05 Almera last June. The old Almera was a great car, extremely reliable. Mine had 130k miles when I traded it in, the timing chain never gave any trouble or never needed to be adjusted. If the chain starts to become noisy then get your mechanic to have a look at it otherwise you shouldn't have to touch it. The only problem I had was the resistor for the fan in the cabin packed up. It's a common fault with that model. They are very easy to change. Have a look at your pollen filter as well if your fan is getting weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I dont have a clue wheather it has a belt or chain, but get someone you know who know a bit about cars to have a quick look under the bonnet, they should be able to tell quickly, alternatively just drive down to you local garage, they'll tell ya with one quick look.

It's definitely a timing chain,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

It's definitely a timing chain,

I beg to differ, but its a belt, You should get it changed asap, cost about 150/200 euro ish. If it goes you have the horrible possibility of valves hitting piston, not nice, especially on the wallet :)

This Almera in question is petrol so it's a timing chain, the diesel Almera's has a timing belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a chain on the 1.4 petrol models.

Similar engine to the Sunny, although that used a belt.

Advertisement