Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lancer broken in to (steering wheel problem)

Options
  • 13-03-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I put in a thread about a month ago, looking for details on car alarms for my 1995 GSR lancer. I got some good feedback and was going to get an alarm installed either this week or next week, as i had some money coming in.
    But with all my bad luck, my car got broken in to on Sat night in Lucan.
    The pr*cks pulled out the frame of the window on the passenger door, to gain entry and tried kicking the steering wheel to break the stairing lock. Luckily for me, the stairing wheel gave way and broke off before the stairing lock would. This badly damaged the bracket, connecting the stairing wheel and the stairing pole. It's all warped and unfixable.
    I now need to replace this with one from a scrap yard.
    My problem is: After removing the nut securing the Stairing bracket to the Stairing pole, the bracket won't come up off the pole.
    I tried WD40 and leaving over night and tried pulling it off again.
    Does anyone have an effective method to remove the stairing bracket from the stairing pole. p.s. sorry for the poor auto part discriptions

cheers,
    dhev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hammer it off. By the sounds of it tho the steering column (what you called the pole I think) is damaged tho. That won't be a trivial fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

JHMEG wrote: »
    Hammer it off. By the sounds of it tho the steering column (what you called the pole I think) is damaged tho. That won't be a trivial fix.

don't think the stairing column is damaged,as car will steer o.k., just steering bracket is mangled. Hope the bracket is just seezed on.
    Might have to get a mechanic at this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

dhev wrote: »
    don't think the stairing column is damaged,as car will steer o.k., just steering bracket is mangled. Hope the bracket is just seezed on.
    Might have to get a mechanic at this one.

....since its your steering thats involved here I would suggest you ONLY get a mechanic to look at it !

You could end up killing yourself or someone else if a component is incorrectly fitted or repaired, and hammering parts of it is a recipe for disaster IMO !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sounds like the bit of the steering wheel that is left is wedged on the splines on the steering column. Hammer it upwards (well, more tap it with a hammer), and then inspect the splines and the steering column in general.

Hammering parts off and not inspecting is a recipe for disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

angle grinder it off , remove the steering colum and re-place it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Not a navy GSR is it? Saw one on the back of a tow truck during the week on the Lucan bypass with the passanger door bent down. Scumbags.

Something like a slide hammer might work to remove it, not sure how you would attach it the the steering wheel but you could get it on somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

mloc123 wrote: »
    Not a navy GSR is it? Saw one on the back of a tow truck during the week on the Lucan bypass with the passanger door bent down. Scumbags.

Something like a slide hammer might work to remove it, not sure how you would attach it the the steering wheel but you could get it on somehow.

So did I strangely enough - but further up towards Maynooth.

Hope you get sorted out OP. I'm certain the Lancer GSR shares common parts with the basic models?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

mloc123 wrote: »

Thats the one alright, only bought it off a mate o mine bout 6 weeks ago.

I think the bracket that won't come off is a Boss kit, which was put in to facilitate the Momo steering wheel. I have the main nut on the stairing column off, but the bracket won't come off. Could there be a circlip at the back which i'm not seeing? I can't see all the way down the column because the plastic cowling tube behide the bracket is a solid piece and won't come off because of the mangled bracket. It's very hard to get these cowlings, so can't break it. Have enough expenses.

Advertisement