Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever

Options
  • 13-03-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Approach a guy on a night out. Im just curious as to whether women view it as a mans 'job' to approach the girl. Personally I approach guys.

Do you approach guys? 31 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

wasn't sure what to vote in the poll. the title of the poll is "Do you approach guys?" but the thread title is would you ever? :confused:

I dont do it on a regular basis but i have. and i would again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

probably depends on how much alcohol has been consumed. i dont know if id ever see a guy & consciously decide "right im gonna go talk to him", but if i was standing beside someone at a bar or something, why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I have in the past. Not in a leeary way :) but I'd think nothing of starting a conversation with someone if I wanted to get to know them.
    Nothing ventured nothing gained an' all that!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I have in the past. Not in a leeary way :) but I'd think nothing of starting a conversation with someone if I wanted to get to know them.
    Nothing ventured nothing gained an' all that!

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have a couple of times but I have noticed men generally don't like it, maybe they aren't single but alot get really nervous. Maybe im scary. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Lux23 wrote: »
    I have a couple of times but I have noticed men generally don't like it, maybe they aren't single but alot get really nervous. Maybe im scary. ;)

+1. I would still approach a bloke again, but I'd be more cautious about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

its how i met my OH as above said nothing ventured nothing gained.

If I approached someone it would be because I am not interested in them romantically.
    I have had a few bad reactions to friendly conversation, where the other party mistook me for a scary maneater. Some people definitely have a problem with it.
    I think Irish men might be open to it though.

A couple of weeks ago I was clubbing, and this well dressed, attractive, bright looking guy, maybe 25/26. Sent his mate up to me to tell me that he fancied me.
    I honestly didn't think that kind of thing went on anymore. I feel sorry for anyone that shy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

How I met BF

When single
    I want
    I like
    I take - only if single girls, married is a no go area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Since I've been a seriel monogamist for the past 10 years I wouldnt know how to approach a guy in a bar etc. I met my other half in work and I did make the 1st move, but it was easier as I knew him, but I wouldnt have the confidence to approach a stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

No, I don't really like talknig to strangers...I mean total strangers, not people at parties or friends of friends, but talking to a complete stranger just seems, well, strange to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Even if ye dont talk first ye may as well, i reckon ye tend to instigate everything anyhow. I normally dont approach a girl unless i notice certain signals shes sending my way first otherwise youll normally crash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not in a pub or club, cause sometimes it sends the wrong message, but in other places social (coffeehouse or at university for example), why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 april2007

I have done it in the past it may scare some men but others find it attractive and like a lady with confidence and who can make the first move!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

if i was single... yeah... someone i found approachable, might have something in common with... odds are, we're in the same bar cos we have something in common with each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes, women do it abit.

Ive found half the time they approach me it .. "hey can i intriduce you to my friend .. she thinks you're lovely" That i diont like because im not at a kiddie Disco. Im not 16 anymore.. let her come over herself if she wants a chat. It happened a fw weeks back a woman came up to me and asked me to cht her friend.. after she persisted i finally went over... the girl went completely redfaced..

Ive had on a rare few occasions have a woman come up to me point blank and say "I just wanted to say that i think you're gorgeous"

Its at that point i check to se what they are drinking... as i;d expect thm to be drunk!

But what i do like about the latter approach is that it shows confidence in a woman to do somthing like that, and essentially im attracted to confident independant woman.. so, although the latter is a little "forward" its better. But then again.. it takes the fun out of chatting somone up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Never happened to me when out, but have had girls chase me at work/with friends. Think its a lot easier/less scary for them that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I dont know a guy who isnt well impressed with a girl that chats to him first so long as its not like her throwing herself on u, which i personally think is great fun when it does happen. Fair deuce to girls that do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I would approach someone, if he looked approachable, ie: didn't have 15 drunken mates around him, honestly I think blokes are as bad, I can count on one hand how many times I've been approached, and I'm not a minger, I promise..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Million dollar question, i would love to but then i think guys are intimidated...
    Once i saw a guy, i thought he was cute. My friend walks up to him and tells himi fancy him and guess what the eejit says "So what do you want to do to me?"
    Since then, i have been cautious...Would love to though... so many good looking meat out there:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

most of my relationships started with the girl making the firstmove.

I love it, as it shows shes gutsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Normally I don't talk to strangers...but then tonight at a gig three guys started talking to my friend and I, by the end of the night of of them had convinced me to play piano and do backing vocals on album he's recording!

I really can't say no to people :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Mm, personally I'd only do it if I knew they liked me.

One of my good friends is extremely repelled by girls who do the chasing. Even if he likes someone, he'll run from her as soon as she starts after him. Bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

From a male point of view there is nothing hotter than when i confident girl starts chatting you up.......sober.

Confidence is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

married now but when i was single never had a problem approaching a guy i liked the look of and did pretty well
    also asked a few out never felt it was just up to them
    got the impression they used to enjoy it as it was simething different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭lizann

I wouldn't have the confidence to do it when i'm sober and if i do it when i'm pissed thats not a pretty sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

no can't say i have ever done it. im too shy and even when out on a night out with mates i still wouldn't do it. im an old romantic so i have to leave the guy do all the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I wouldn't approach someone I didn't know. It's not that I think it's the guys "job" to do the approaching, I just wouldn't be comfortable approaching anyone based on aesthetics only. I have always met partners through friends & got to know them in a social circle before deciding I wanted to get to know them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I find it very rare for women to do this. Both from my own experience and that of my friends. We'd be in the under 25 bracket. Found in America that they are so much more open and forward.

Then again maybe me and my friends are just ugly bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I've approached and initiated a conversation with a guy a rare few times. Usually, I stick with making eye contact and smiling coyly.

Advertisement