Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biblical Proof - There is No God

Options

Comments

i got bored 2/3 way through, i have to say
    mostly i got the gist god is a hypocrite for some reason? not exactly proof god doesn't exist?
    i dont see how punishing descendants goes against punishing son for the father?
    *yawn* tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So, what do ye make of this argument?
    Not much really. Basically, it's the Euthyphro dilemma applied to christianity, in the resolution to which, the deity gets to define what is "moral".

In such a context, the deity can act entirely arbitrarily, even self-inconsistently, but he still gets to call it "moral" and "true", for whatever value you want to attach to those words in the context-free environment inhabited by a self-inconsistent deity.

If one believed this, it would be interesting to find out what use such a capricious deity is, or what possible worth could attach to believing that such a thing exists, but christians don't seem to ask such questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

robindch wrote: »
    Not much really. Basically, it's the Euthyphro dilemma applied to christianity, in the resolution to which, the deity gets to define what is "moral".

In such a context, the deity can act entirely arbitrarily, even self-inconsistently, but he still gets to call it "moral" and "true", for whatever value you want to attach to those words in the context-free environment inhabited by a self-inconsistent deity.

If one believed this, it would be interesting to find out what use such a capricious deity is, or what possible worth could attach to believing that such a thing exists, but christians don't seem to ask such questions.

Yeah, you're right. I suppose I should view these things through the eyes of a Christian instead of my own.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But that's the OLD Testament God.

Everyone knows the New Testament one is a reformed character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Dades wrote: »
    But that's the OLD Testament God.

Everyone knows the New Testament one is a reformed character.

But like Chuck Norris, that doesn't mean he was wrong in the first place. He's just a new kind of right.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

I prefer types of existentialist thought. Backing up the non existece of God by using the Bible is a massive hypocrisy. Think about it....

Advertisement