Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monk. Locked Why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

darkman2 wrote: »
    Whatever. I seem to be always targeted by you for some reason.

You're not really, he just tends to lock the threads before I or one of the others find them. Honestly, the thread doesn't belong there and if I had stumbled across it, I'd have done the same thing and really, I'd be hard pressed to remember any other thread you've started so it's hardly a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I only really remember a similar issue, having to ban darkman2 because he insisted on posting it / about it in AH and unbanning in ~1hr or something after he finally agreed to discuss it in this forum...
    Look, this thread got an hour in AH and got nothing but spam - I could have warned, but it tends not to be effective & pushy; I could have removed the spammy posts, but we'd be back to your original post and it'd be unlikely to go anywhere as a result; you didn't state your (or ANY) position on the subject, it was scrapped - you're free to post the thread in a more suitable forum or with a more descriptive original post. I locked your thread, I did not cut your fingers off or ban you from AH or boards.ie... seriously, unclench.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Pfft! There will be lots of locked monks over the weekend ...
    and lots of locked non-celibates as well ... hopefully! ¬_¬

'Tis Paddy's weekend! Will yiz all stfu, and go and get pished, ffs! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Monk. Posted Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Talliesin. Copying. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Monk. Locked why?

Well, that's the curse of the modern licensing laws, innit?

Locked because of too much drink. It's a problem when you get to middle age, as no matter what flash limo you drive (or be driven in) or no matter how many leather jackets you wear, you are, sadly a fart. O'er the hill and whilst you get up on that dance floor full of enthusiasm and vigor and vim, you are an aul fella and you're throwing shapes. Those girls under 30 are not dancing with you - they are ignoring you.

There's a special disco for you downstairs in Howl at the Moon, use it.

Or Copper's, which is fair enough, for as there is no honour amongst thieves there is no shame in coppers goers.

But you are still sad, and should be propping up the bar in a soulless, Jaye's fluid scented lounge in the 'burbs, looking forward to your snack box on the long, desolate damp walk home.

Unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Karoma was bored.

He locked it for that reason, and that reason only.

The television forum is for the discussion of the attributes of television shows. The thread was not asking whether we think Prime Time is a good current affairs show. Or whether Paul Reynolds is a good crime journalist. It was informing us that the Monk was currently on tv, and what did we think of him and his performance.

The only possible way it deserved to be in the tv forum was because it would have ended up discussing Gerrys rather poor ability to act.

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Karoma was bored.

The television forum is for the discussion of the attributes of television shows. The thread was not asking whether we think Prime Time is a good current affairs show. Or whether Paul Reynolds is a good crime journalist. It was informing us that the Monk was currently on tv, and what did we think of him and his performance.

The only possible way it deserved to be in the tv forum was because it would have ended up discussing Gerrys rather poor ability to act.

Anything to constructive to offer other than meaningless splitting of hairs? If you want to just do that, then it's the meta-meta discussion of TV shows rather than merely the meta discussion of TV shows that truly belong in AH.

This is Feedback.

For the discussion of how boards is moderated.

The OP asked why the thread was locked.

I answered. The mod was either bored or power tripping. Clearly.

Anything else to contribute?

This is Feedback.

Actually, no that's not what this forum is for at all and never has been.

• Advertisement

any chance of a "No Thanks" button for Tha Gopher's post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

any chance of a "No Thanks" button for Tha Gopher's post?
    What finger is raised on that icon?

Ah now, aidan, is that a trick question.....

.............thumb? :confused:

nesf wrote: »
    Actually, no that's not what this forum is for at all and never has been.

Oh, great. Does that mean we can now raise objections to sh1t modding in the thread/forum in question now so?

There seems to be two views on what Feedback is for. Have an issue with modding? Fook off and take it to Feedback, where you will be told to shut up, because this is not a complaints forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Karoma was bored.
    Your opinion, which is (as ever) based on nothing but, um, your opinion.
    Do you ever get bored of being wrong?

Odd, I thought the scope of Television would cover the content of programming - not just one specific aspect. Go inform the lusers that they can only discuss the camera work on Modays, acting on Tuesdays and so on... Seriously, getting bored yet?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have no problem with people raising questions about being banned here. Locked threads simply don't rate high enough on my "sh*t to look into" list to be bothered. I mean seriously, no one is dead, right?

Tha_Gopher, I dont believe I've ever said that Feedback wasnt for complaining about Mods... however, 95% of complaints against mods are by the person who was sanctioned and are shown up for what they are. That might be confusing you...

DeV.

There seems to be two views on what Feedback is for. Have an issue with modding? Fook off and take it to Feedback, where you will be told to shut up, because this is not a complaints forum.

I tell people to take it to the Helpdesk normally if I think they've a genuine grievance simply because they won't have to put up with flaming there. I don't think the free-for-all in this forum is a good place to air genuine issues about the moderation in forums. It's a grand place to have a go at a mod but if I had a serious issue or question to raise I'd look to the more serious forum to air it in.

If there are are two views on what feedback is about is for then that is purely down to an inability to read the BIG STICKY THREAD which is, cryptically, posted at the top of the feedback forum.

This issue is actually one for the Help Desk Forum, not Feedback.

This, of course, is me exercising Mod abuse. Feel free to flagellate me - in Help Desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

As the OP, and a brilliant lovely one at that, I feel this thread is now reflecting badly on me.

I asked a question and I got some answers. Im happy enough with that.

Let it go, people.

Gerry H wouldnt like to see us bickering amongst ourselves in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

This is Feedback.

every time we have this conversation, you always shut up after i prove you wrong.

shall we dance again, or are you just going to shut up now?

and as usual, youre wrong anyway.

thread locked correctly. nothing more to see here.
    thanks for calling.

• Advertisement

every time we have this conversation, you always shut up after i prove you wrong.......and as usual, youre wrong anyway.

thread locked correctly. nothing more to see here.
    thanks for calling.

Sorry, I hadnt checked back. Although I would be intrigued as to see some links to these mighty battles where I have cowered in silence as WWMan reigns epic pwnage on me.:confused:

What is to argue, really? It is Alan Partidgeism/failed bouncer syndrome at its finest and nothing more.
    Karoma wrote: »
    Your opinion, which is (as ever) based on nothing but, um, your opinion.

Do you ever get bored of being wrong?

Ive only ever been wrong once. One time I said something, an hour later "realised" I was mistaken and admitted being wrong.

I later found out Id been correct all along.....

hardly mighy battles.

i dont see you as much of an adversary.

hardly mighy battles.

i dont see you as much of an adversary.

0h no3z!!!!!! :eek:

So, g1mm3 l1nkz0rz or admit pwnage. 1elevty1oneroflrape!!!111

Personally Im not particularly arsed about waging vendettas against people on teh interwebz that Ive never met, but if you are than so be it. :)

Anyway, Im off to youtube, some classic Alan Partridge awaits. I was reminded to watch it for...meh...some reason i dunno.

no, you just prefer to whinge and whine, but never feel like adding anything positive.

lets see which profile fits your actions on this thread.

ah yes, the whinge and the whine.

enjoy your alan partridge. personally, im surprised you even post here anymore. seems silly to do so considering you really dont seem to enjoy being here much.

Monk. Locked Why?

'Cause they can't handle their drink.

c.gif

no, you just prefer to whinge and whine, but never feel like adding anything positive.

enjoy your alan partridge. personally, im surprised you even post here anymore. seems silly to do so considering you really dont seem to enjoy being here much.

You see, its funny. Of the dozens and dozens of forums here, I generally read

AH
    TV
    Films
    Politics
    Humanities
    Soccer
    Dance/Electronic
    Hip Hop
    Music
    Food/drink
    Fashion

Of all those, only two (AH and Politics) contain frequent, questionable modding (and even AH it is only one mod I frequently see do this, and even the amt of questionable locks/bans is down). And tbh, re Politics I should say occasional rather than frequent. I seem to recall you throwing your toys out of the pram re the Soccer forum because it wont allow you to complain (or something). tbh Ive seldom if ever seen anything untoward over there. The rules are fairly clear cut. Violate them and you may be banned, and in fairness they let alot slide. Compared to Politics and AH, where threads are locked for no reason, bans are handed down for the bleedin mah rapih buzz of hittin that ban button etc etc.

I do apologise. I didnt know the layout of the thread was
    Hello. My opinion on this issue is yadda yadda yadda. I hope you agree. If not, please dont bother posting

My apologies :rolleyes:

Of all those, only two (AH and Politics) contain frequent, questionable modding (and even AH it is only one mod I frequently see do this, and even the amt of questionable locks/bans is down).

See, I'm sorry, I modded AH for several years and honestly, I received just one complaint about my moderation of that forum in all that time that I can remember on this forum. I don't get this whole frequent questionable modding thing at all simply because there's **** all evidence of the users of that forum having a genuine issue with how it's run. You're the only one I see on here constantly getting your oar in any time AH is mentioned and honestly I don't get why you bother. Yes there have been mistakes made on AH but they haven't been systematic and they have been recognised and dealt with as such.

The problem here isn't that there's huge truckload of bad moderating going on it's that you don't like the culture that the forum operates under. The thing is, a lot of people do like it and it's not going to change just because you have a problem with it.

nesf wrote: »
    See, I'm sorry, I modded AH for several years and honestly, I received just one complaint about my moderation of that forum in all that time that I can remember on this forum. I don't get this whole frequent questionable modding thing at all simply because there's **** all evidence of the users of that forum having a genuine issue with how it's run. You're the only one I see on here constantly getting your oar in any time AH is mentioned and honestly I don't get why you bother. Yes there have been mistakes made on AH but they haven't been systematic and they have been recognised and dealt with as such.

The problem here isn't that there's huge truckload of bad moderating going on it's that you don't like the culture that the forum operates under. The thing is, a lot of people do like it and it's not going to change just because you have a problem with it.

Well, I wasnt referring to you anyway :)

Well, I wasnt referring to you anyway :)

But I'm generally in agreement with the others when it comes to locking and banning and moderation in general on that forum. Or at least I used to be. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement