Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work boots/wellies

• 14-03-2008 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Spending the summer working on a stud farm

Where could I get wellies that aren't too expensive?, preferably that I can ride in. I'd prefer to have wellies or something similar rather than my jod boots and half chaps that I ride in when I'm not going to be riding.

Cheerio

Also need jeans that will be used and abused going to try Dunnes and the like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I wouldn't advise riding in wellies, they're not the ideal and could potentially cause you to get hung up in the stirrup(s). It might be cheaper to buy a pair of rubber riding boots than wellies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Theres not going to be an awful lot of riding so I'll have my riding boots with me as well.

I know you can ride in Muck boots can the same be said for Hunter Wellies?

I've got hunter wellies, but I wouldn't ride in them. They're not the worst, but I'd prefer muckers (not sure if that's what they're still called!) instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

I think Mountain Horse do a sort of riding boot/ welly, but I'm not sure what price they are.
    I treated myself to a pair of Ariat boots (the waterproof suede, goretex ones with laces on the side similar to the Dubarry Galway boot). They're super comfortable and you can ride in them. I mainly using mine for posing, tucked into my jeans though!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Budget can't stretch to Ariats I'm afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use muck boots and they are toasty warm and I can ride in them at a pinch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

Yeah, they are a bit expensive alright. I'd been lusting after either them or the Dubarrys for some time and eventually plumped for the Ariats, cos they seemed a little bit more practical.
    I agree with Convert about not riding in the Hunter boots though. I have a pair and would imagine they'd be quite uncomfortable to ride in, plus with the big ridges on the soles, your foot might become caught in the stirrup more easily.

Have a look in your local tack shop - there are a lot of dual purpose boots on the market now.

You could do a lot worse than getting a pair of the rubber riding boots. They're cheap, designed for riding yet have the same waterproofness as wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

i love the joules wellies. v comfortable, good quality and i was fine riding in them
    I find them a lot more comfortable working round the yard than long rubber boots

Re riding in hunter wellies - the boots themselves are actually quite comfy to ride in, depending on how short your stirrups are. But like napoles said, there's the danger of your foot getting caught in the stirrup - not a pleasant experience! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niamh39

you can buy long boots in colemans in sandyford for only E50!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

I used to work on a stud and pretty much wore jod boots/muckers for the summer and rubber riding boots for the winter. Used to ride in the muckers & 1/2chaps without a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FarmerBrown

Tyne Muck Boots are ideal for riding and working in, while your feet are like toast in the winter, they may be a little warm in the summer

Advertisement