Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade Plates - The Law ??

Options
  • 14-03-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, does anyone out there know where i can get the legislation in relation to trade plates, was pulled driving a new car (unreg'ed) had trade plate in front window, and was told that they only cover motor tax, which i am sure is not true, anywho garda insisted i was wrong told me i would be getting a summons for driving an unregistered car ect.

Just wondering does anybody know the exact law with regards to trade plates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Trade plates WILL cover you to drive an unregistered car as long as they are displayed.For example if a dealer has a new unregistered car that needs delivering from one of his garages to another, he will use trade plates.A vehicle displaying trade plates can be traced via the reg number to the dealer.They also cover for untaxed vehicles.But, they can only be used between 6am to 10pm i think which is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

alo1587 wrote: »
    But, they can only be used between 6am to 10pm i think which is silly.

Not really TBH. What business would you have to conduct that you couldnt do beween those hours? Plus it stops people who work in garages pretty much driving their own cars around for free permenantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

was pulled driving a new car (unreg'ed) had trade plate in front window, and was told that they only cover motor tax, which i am sure is not true, anywho garda insisted i was wrong told me i would be getting a summons for driving an unregistered car ect
    A few questions:

1. Are you in the motor trade business?

2. Was a trade plate fixed to the rear window?

3. Were you demonstrating, delivering, or rescuing the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anyone I know in the trade uses the trade plate to drive any car they need to drive for thier business so I always believed they were insurance cover. THis guard must be totally wrong unless you werent using for trade purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

When I was in the trade I obviously used trade plates regularly but I did get stopped and I had to produce my Insurance Cert. Since then I always took my insurance disc with me and displayed it on any car I drove!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

As I understand it, insurance isn't covered by the trade plate. You should have garage insurance and you should have an insurance disk that doesn't have a specific registration number on it.

The trade plates are for driving a car that's unregistered or out of tax, on public roads, in the course of your business.

As for the 6am to 10pm thing, I'm pretty sure that's a grey area. I've been told that if I use the trade plates on a Sunday I'll be covered AS LONG AS I'M GOING TO/RETURNING FROM/IN THE MIDDLE OF DEMONSTRATING THE VEHICLE TO A CUSTOMER. If I can't prove that in some way to the Garda, then they'll do me. Otherwise they'll let me off.

The Irish Motor Industry nowadays is a long-hours, often 7 days-a-week industry. Restricting the hours of use of the trade plates would stifle us too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not really TBH. What business would you have to conduct that you couldnt do beween those hours? Plus it stops people who work in garages pretty much driving their own cars around for free permenantly.

Ok, lets say you go to collect an unregistered import at Dublin port, the car wont start or there's some part shagged (which is often the case), its 10.01pm when you fix it/get the part to get it going.What do you do? Wait til its 6am to drive it home? I dont think so.

Advertisement