Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper Website Designer

Options
  • 14-03-2008 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Myself and two of my friends are setting up a university newspaper business to be launched next September. We want our website to be an integral part of our business and I would greatly appreciate some advice on setting it up.

We envisage the site to contain all the articles that the paper contains (it is not a large paper, probably about 12 articles per issue), polls, a section to download previous issues, a Q's an A's section where people can submit questions, competitions and all the usual pages a business website would contain such as about us, contact us and advertise with us. We are also very interested in setting up a forum to disucuss various topics.

As I have no experience with building websites, my question is how do I go about this? How much would a professional looking site with this content cost?

Also, we are looking at buying the CS3 Standard Edition as software for our publication. Would the additional programs on the design premium edition be beneficial to us in terms of maintaing a website and for our designer to use?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Is the guy designing the paper actually using photoshop? Or is that mostly for you guys to do the website? You should bear in mind, if it's just for the website, you won't use photoshop as an ongoing thing, it will just be for the initial design. After that you wouldn't be changing the look and feel of the site, just it's content. So you would be wasting your money if you ask me. Download the GiMP instead, it's a free alternative developed for linux, but does everything photoshop does generally speaking.

As for how much it would cost to have that site built, this question raises debates eternally on the forum. My guess, including design? Assuming everything built from scratch, €1000 - €3000 for a start to finish solution. But there are hundreds of existing free CMS scripts out there, and you may find one that suits you're needs, or could be edited to do so by a developer, which would cost less. Look into it would be my advice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Expect to pay at least 1,000 if not more for this to be done. In Ireland, the price varies considerably and the offers differ per price. So always shop around, see what each company can offer you and at what price. Ask questions, look at their website and portfolio, and so on.

CS3 Standard Edition & Web Site design - I cant see how this connects or makes a difference to your price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I dont see how a customised Wordpress theme cannot accomplish this? Its effectively an article manager. You can also group posts by categories or taxonomies which in your case would be newspaper issues.

Chek out www.wordpress.org for more information. Any graphic designer worth their weight in salt would be able to do a custom theme according to your specification.

HTH,
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

My advice would be to look at a content management system as the first port of call for all content: load it on to the site, manage it there, and export it out for each paper issue.

I developed a system like this for a free ads newspaper which was pretty successful. It might mean a bit more work initially with the set-up, but once you are up and running, it works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

hansman wrote: »
    Myself and two of my friends are setting up a university newspaper business to be launched next September. We want our website to be an integral part of our business and I would greatly appreciate some advice on setting it up.

We envisage the site to contain all the articles that the paper contains (it is not a large paper, probably about 12 articles per issue), polls, a section to download previous issues, a Q's an A's section where people can submit questions, competitions and all the usual pages a business website would contain such as about us, contact us and advertise with us. We are also very interested in setting up a forum to disucuss various topics.

As I have no experience with building websites, my question is how do I go about this? How much would a professional looking site with this content cost?

Also, we are looking at buying the CS3 Standard Edition as software for our publication. Would the additional programs on the design premium edition be beneficial to us in terms of maintaing a website and for our designer to use?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this :D

If you're going to be starting out learning graphics software -- use GIMP. It's a hell of a lot cheaper (in fact, it's free) and as far as newspaper graphics go, it's basically all you'll ever need.

How are you going to distribute your newspapers? I presume you have done a deal with the universities? How big is your target market? And how do you compete against the established university publications (especially if you're only going to have 12 articles per edition)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hansman

We're a niche newspaper that deals with a topic that no one else does in detail so it's not so much a case of competing but of establishing ourselves on our own. We're currently discussing the idea with a number of universities, with some agreeing in principle already. It is not for definite yet but we'll probably produce about 15-20k copies for first issue. As it is a free paper, the readership will be a lot bigger than the number produced.

Could someone recommend a few companies to approach for quotes? What are Silvertip Studios like? Are companies the way to go over freelance designers in terms of reliability?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill probably get shot, but I think for big projects companies or very well recognised freelancers are the way to go in terms of what you pay for, and what you get.

Send us a PM with your exact requirements, and ill see what I can do for you.

Try Adverts.ie and post an advert there with your spec. Someone should respond :)

Sully wrote: »
    Ill probably get shot, but I think for big projects companies or very well recognised freelancers are the way to go in terms of what you pay for, and what you get.

Send us a PM with your exact requirements, and ill see what I can do for you.

Try Adverts.ie and post an advert there with your spec. Someone should respond :)
    Well if you get shot for anything it's for recommending big companies or very well recognised freelancers and then offering to give him a quote in the same sentence! :pac:

OP, if you're going to spend a lot and really go for it, contract a well known company. If you want to save a few bob, go with a freelancer but expect it to take longer for the simple fact that a decent company will assign more than one person to the job.

Mirror wrote: »
    Well if you get shot for anything it's for recommending big companies or very well recognised freelancers and then offering to give him a quote in the same sentence! :pac:

I never said "big companies". Small companies can easily to do it, and there are a few of em on Boards. Recognised freelancers aint me :p

There are many "companies" that are less capable than many lesser known freelancers. So I assumed you would mean big companies. The CRO doesn't make you any more talented than you were before registering for a business name.

• Advertisement

The CRO doesn't make you any more talented than you were before registering for a business name.

Never said it did. But smaller companies who have somewat of a reputation, can still do the job just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Why does it matter? Why are you stereotyping professions? One of you is saying that Freelancers do a better job than small companies, and the other is saying they do a worse job. They are both as sh#t as each other. There are so many crap freelancers out there, yet there are so many good ones, same can be said for small companies. There's the good apples and the bad apples.

The CRO is not a License to Kill, but is rather the definition of what a certain business does, their rules / and their profits, not their ability.

What the OP should do now, is get Firefox, then install the Web Developer Toolbar. Then go to varous ".ie" domain websites, that have been developed. If you like the website, and it complies to the CSS/xHTML tests; Look at the footer of the website homepage, and see who developed the website. Have a look at the portfolio on their own website. Then Google the name for reviews. If you're happy with all that, get them to quote you on the price, based on a full business plan that you have produced, which will save a lot of time and money.

Thats what I advise people, and not once have I ever heard any other feedback than a positive one.

nevf wrote: »
    Why does it matter? Why are you stereotyping professions? One of you is saying that Freelancers do a better job than small companies, and the other is saying they do a worse job. They are both as sh#t as each other. There are so many crap freelancers out there, yet there are so many good ones, same can be said for small companies. There's the good apples and the bad apples.

The CRO is not a License to Kill, but is rather the definition of what a certain business does, their rules / and their profits, not their ability.

What the OP should do now, is get Firefox, then install the Web Developer Toolbar. Then go to varous ".ie" domain websites, that have been developed. If you like the website, and it complies to the CSS/xHTML tests; Look at the footer of the website homepage, and see who developed the website. Have a look at the portfolio on their own website. Then Google the name for reviews. If you're happy with all that, get them to quote you on the price, based on a full business plan that you have produced, which will save a lot of time and money.

Thats what I advise people, and not once have I ever heard any other feedback than a positive one.
    I'm assuming I'm the one that's supposed to be saying freelancers do a better job than companies? Only, I don't remember saying that...

None the less, sound advice.

I'm assuming I'm the one that's supposed to be saying freelancers do a better job than companies? Only, I don't remember saying that...

None the less, sound advice.
    Good point. But the argument did seem like a small companies vs. freelancers so I thought if I was going to join the debate, I'd nail you too! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shocks121

I'd use a simple basic software to set the site up, Publisher 2003. It's easy to use and you just ftp it onto the web. I've been using it for my soccer club, www.ballybridgeunited.com Also if you want a forum, message board or Q+A, and want the site to be low budget use bravenet. Its easy but look good aswell.

Donough.

So, who wants to say it...? Srsly... Me then?

That's terrible! Both the website and the advice... Sorry, but someone has to tell it like it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mccafferty

shocks121 wrote: »
    I'd use a simple basic software to set the site up, Publisher 2003. It's easy to use and you just ftp it onto the web. I've been using it for my soccer club, www.ballybridgeunited.com Also if you want a forum, message board or Q+A, and want the site to be low budget use bravenet. Its easy but look good aswell.

Donough.

No offence, but using Publisher or Frontpage, etc is not the way to go for anyone who wants a professional, accessible website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Your best bet is to visit as many similiar websites as you can. Note what you like about them and what you don't in areas such as content structure (how is the content organised), Navigation (how is the navigation presented - type/look of menu, ease of use etc), Layout (how are the pages layed out - is everything where you expect it to be), Design (is the page appealing, is it memorable, does it help to improve your experience of visiting the site etc)

* What is the purpose of this website?
    * Who is your target market i.e. who do you think will be looking at
    your website? who do you *want* looking at your website?
    * What pages/sections do you want? What content do you want in these
    pages/sections i.e. what headings in each page and what content will be
    under these headings etc.
    * Have you any type of branding or distinguishable symbol etc What
    primary colours (2 or 3) do you want to use on the website?
    * How to you want to structure the content/information on your website?

* How do you want the website layed out? e.g. where do want the
    navigation (menu) - horizontal/vertical? etc.

When it comes to page design/layout here are some things to consider
    about people that visit websites:
    - They scan and plane pages for clues, instead of reading
    - They prefer simple navigation
    - They like neat and consistent look
    - They don't like too much information on the page
    Your designer should have his/her own software for making the website. More than likely you will be using a Content Management System (CMS) so all the tools you will need will be web-based requiring you to have only a web browser with an internet connection.

Just to clarify - some freelancers are better then companies. Some companies are better then freelancers. Big or small. You wont find out until you do a bit of research; see portfolio, ask for reviews, speak with the freelancer/company etc.

Thats what I meant, even if I made a balls of expressing that. Iv seen some freelancers and companies (not many companies mind you) on Boards who are not fit to be called "Designers" as its front page style work. Hence, my first paragraph comes into play. :)

So, who wants to say it...? Srsly... Me then?

That's terrible! Both the website and the advice... Sorry, but someone has to tell it like it is...
    I must agree! With software like that, even a proper designer can't work with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I dont see how a customised Wordpress theme cannot accomplish this? Its effectively an article manager. You can also group posts by categories or taxonomies which in your case would be newspaper issues.

Chek out www.wordpress.org for more information. Any graphic designer worth their weight in salt would be able to do a custom theme according to your specification.

HTH,
    Stephen

WP is good at what it does - blogs, but for a newspaper site that could potentially get a lot of traffic - WP isn't good - it just doesn't scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

colm_c wrote: »
    WP is good at what it does - blogs, but for a newspaper site that could potentially get a lot of traffic - WP isn't good - it just doesn't scale.

Check out the theme on theleavingcert.com - perhaps something like that could suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

The Walsho wrote: »
    Check out the theme on theleavingcert.com - perhaps something like that could suffice?

It's not a theme issue - the core of wordpress is not designed for scale.

Advertisement