Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista cant see 4GB

• 14-03-2008 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hey

bit the bullet and installed Vista Ultimate 32 bit, fresh clean install

I have 4GB RAM, but Vista says I have 3327MB's , same as what I had on XP Pro

Any tips ?, or is this just the way it is ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

4GB is likely actually 4,000,000,000 bytes.
    Some things like video cards use up RAM (according to Dell, anywho), so my Ultimate only shows 3.5 Gb of Ram, ecen though I paid for 4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

u need 64bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

dhaddock wrote: »
    u need 64bit :)

Yea but shouldnt ultimate come with 64bit anyways?

Did you visit good old unlce torrent or mr W. arez for this version? ;)

But go into the search bar and type in msconfig and hit enter

boot>advanced options>max memory

might do it!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dazftw wrote: »

might do it!

Retails comes with a disc for each, but the OEM editions only provide the specified version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

might do it!

Ah Mr. Juarez.

The reason you can only see 3.3gb of ram is that a 32bit os can only allocate 3,200,000,000 bytes. To see anymore you will need a 64bit os.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Anti wrote: »
    Ah Mr. Juarez

Thats what it was I couldnt think of how to spell it lol..

Damn oem disc there so cheap yet there crap when you want to upgrade etc

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

SP1 sorts this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dubmick wrote: »
    SP1 sorts this out

Afaik SP1 just displays the correct ammount of RAM in the system but 32bit still can't utilise the full ammount.

Open to correction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, any 32 bit system cannot utilize the full 4GB.

However I'm with the above, I thought Ultimate only came in 64-bit flavor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, ultimate is available in both 32 and 64 bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Anti wrote: »
    Ah Mr. Juarez.

The reason you can only see 3.3gb of ram is that a 32bit os can only allocate 3,200,000,000 bytes. To see anymore you will need a 64bit os.

Err, no, both RAM and memory addressing are measured in binary bytes (unlike hard drives), the upper memory is reserved for various devices, such as the graphics card, effectively lowering the theoretical 32bit limit of 4096MB by as much as 768MB (total ~3 489 660 928 bytes).

To access above this or to fully utilise 4GB RAM, you need to have a fully 64bit OS, the 64Bit OS itself has a lower limit than the theoretical also (currently at 128GB I believe), and the processors themselves don't utilise the full 64bit memory addressing, even if that much RAM were available, but that will be solved as the limits are reached (requiring new software/hardware).

Vista SP1 changes the amount of memory from what Windows can actually use (3.25GB) to what the BIOS reports (4GB), this was mostly to stop all the support calls, as people don't understand how it works :) Windows itself is still limited (this is mostly hardware related anyway, and was a design decision taken back when 32bit processors were being designed).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

might do it!

lets not suggest warez in future as its against the charter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

astrofool wrote: »
    To access above this or to fully utilise 4GB RAM, you need to have a fully 64bit OS, the 64Bit OS itself has a lower limit than the theoretical also (currently at 128GB I believe), and the processors themselves don't utilise the full 64bit memory addressing, even if that much RAM were available, but that will be solved as the limits are reached (requiring new software/hardware).

Yeah, the limit is 128GB in Vista Ultimate/Business/Enterprise. Home premium has an artificial ceiling of 16GB though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Lol Dazftw :)

Astrofool
    p.s. what if i loaded my os into say a lan cards memory:D lol

Advertisement