Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N95 8GB-Looking for trouble!

• 14-03-2008 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I'm in the market for this phone in the next few weeks & everywhere I look I see +ve reviews & feedback, So on the flip side I'd appreciate if any users of the N95 8GB could play Devils advocate & list the -ve points :mad: of this phone, cheers.

Gonzales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Gonzales wrote: »
    I'm in the market for this phone in the next few weeks & everywhere I look I see +ve reviews & feedback, So on the flip side I'd appreciate if any users of the N95 8GB could play Devils advocate & list the -ve points :mad: of this phone, cheers.

Gonzales

first off: i love it... Buy it!

however: keypads ok, much improved over n95! But the call end and "c" button etc atound the d-pad a bit close together for my liking...have closed the browser a few times while writing posts etc... But you get used to it after a while (I switch between n95/8 and e61 so it's probably my fault, partly)... Opening musicplayer can take a moment longer than on other phones...but for that you have 128mb ram and demand-paging...so just leave it running....
    Well, eeh... That's it, really!
    Oh, that media menu-thingy...though nice, I preferred the horseshoe one on the "old" n95 because it allowed you to add any app/folder... But still: nice feature!
    Screen is not as tough as on e61, but then again: I've abused it quite a bit, and it's still scratch-free...
    Overall, if you can live without a full qwerty, I think it's the best phone at the moment - even without the i-factor!!! Wink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 azer

Im in the market for a new phone myself and weighing up the N82, N95 and iphone. Sat nav comes into pay for me.
    Also wondering, apart from the obvious memory boost, what advantages the N95 8gb has over the standard N95?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Music player is slow to refresh. Battery life is so so. They're the only negatives i've come across so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I agree re: the 'c' button. It is too small and not very well placed.

Also, anyone know how to change the Vodafone Live shortcut on the main screen?

prospect wrote: »

Also, anyone know how to change the Vodafone Live shortcut on the main screen?

Tools > Settings > General > Personalisation > Standby Mode > Shortcuts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I was thinking of getting one, as I had seen a friend's in action, and the screen etc looked terrific. HOWEVER both O2 and Vodafone warned me off it due to high failure rates of screens and slider mechanisms. I went for an E51 instead, which is not quite as functinal, but does do Wifi, GPS, email, music, radio etc, etc. Plus the flact its almost as thin as the iPod touch which I use for music, video et al, so they complement each other.

BTW, I have no axe to grind here. I won't get the current gen iPhone until they sort out a few things, too. According to both stores Samsung is more reliable now than Nokia which surprised me.

xanthor wrote: »
    Tools > Settings > General > Personalisation > Standby Mode > Shortcuts.

Thanks.

@ Whiterebel, I think the N95 8Gb has an upgraded slider mech. Could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

prospect wrote: »
    Thanks.

@ Whiterebel, I think the N95 8Gb has an upgraded slider mech. Could be wrong though.

It was the 8Gb I was looking at, but they may have been talking about historical problems. Was enough to put me off, TBH.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It was the 8Gb I was looking at, but they may have been talking about historical problems. Was enough to put me off, TBH.

Flipping flipping flippers....
    Didn't say anything to me about it.....

I was thinking of getting one, as I had seen a friend's in action, and the screen etc looked terrific. HOWEVER both O2 and Vodafone warned me off it due to high failure rates of screens and slider mechanisms. I went for an E51 instead, which is not quite as functinal, but does do Wifi, GPS, email, music, radio etc, etc. Plus the flact its almost as thin as the iPod touch which I use for music, video et al, so they complement each other.

BTW, I have no axe to grind here. I won't get the current gen iPhone until they sort out a few things, too. According to both stores Samsung is more reliable now than Nokia which surprised me.

i'm not being funny, but you keep cutting and pasting this very same post... If the o2 and voda-staff "keep warning you off", tell them to check their facts!!! The n95/8 is a) not the n95 and b) what samsung is better exactly? The f700 whose touchscreen scratches by looking at it, and the battery of which is down after 60 mins of gprs???'
    i've been told (surprise) in a voda shop how the iphone is "quite unreliable" when surveys in both the US and Germany show it's the least returned, most customer-happifying phone ever!!!

• Advertisement

strecker wrote: »
    i'm not being funny, but you keep cutting and pasting this very same post... If the o2 and voda-staff "keep warning you off", tell them to check their facts!!! The n95/8 is a) not the n95 and b) what samsung is better exactly? The f700 whose touchscreen scratches by looking at it, and the battery of which is down after 60 mins of gprs???'
    i've been told (surprise) in a voda shop how the iphone is "quite unreliable" when surveys in both the US and Germany show it's the least returned, most customer-happifying phone ever!!!

And your problem is what exactly, because no, you're not being funny. I haven't "copied and pasted" anything. If people ask ADVICE on an internet forum, has it occurred to you they might want an honest opinion or information, because you certainly don't seem to appreciate it.

They didn't "keep warning me off" I asked once, was told once, per shop. Enough for me.

I didn't mention anything about the N95/8GB difference. I asked specifically in both places about the N95/8GB - Thats what I was told.I didn't know there was one before this. I presume they would have made more money out of me by keeping shtum and selling me the N95/8GB? Voda certainly would, as I would have been a new customer.

Voda said quite clearly they get less Samsung back for repair. I always thought Nokia were the most reliable, and I asked the question. They answered me. As it turned out, i couldn't use the Samsung with a Mac anyway, but I could with a Nokia.

By the looks of it, you're making a big leap in assumptions on the iPhone too. I'm not aware of any reliability issues with them, but the text situation, allied to EDGE, that a 32GB will probably come out in the next incarnation are some of the reasons I'm holding off until August.

See, nothing sinister at all. probably just down to the fact that you're going through the same threads as me. It might help you to read posts rather than jumping in like a deranged clodhopper, though.

And your problem is what exactly, because no, you're not being funny. I haven't "copied and pasted" anything. If people ask ADVICE on an internet forum, has it occurred to you they might want an honest opinion or information, because you certainly don't seem to appreciate it.

They didn't "keep warning me off" I asked once, was told once, per shop. Enough for me.

I didn't mention anything about the N95/8GB difference. I asked specifically in both places about the N95/8GB - Thats what I was told.I didn't know there was one before this. I presume they would have made more money out of me by keeping shtum and selling me the N95/8GB? Voda certainly would, as I would have been a new customer.

Voda said quite clearly they get less Samsung back for repair. I always thought Nokia were the most reliable, and I asked the question. They answered me. As it turned out, i couldn't use the Samsung with a Mac anyway, but I could with a Nokia.

By the looks of it, you're making a big leap in assumptions on the iPhone too. I'm not aware of any reliability issues with them, but the text situation, allied to EDGE, that a 32GB will probably come out in the next incarnation are some of the reasons I'm holding off until August.

See, nothing sinister at all. probably just down to the fact that you're going through the same threads as me. It might help you to read posts rather than jumping in like a deranged clodhopper, though.

hahaha...
    Thanks,
    you're right, of course! i was trying to be wrong, and it looks like I won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Calm down ladies
    =============

I have the N95 8GB. Great device.

Cons:
    • You cannot upgrade the memory as there is no sd slot as in the N95 beast
    • The VPN software is all but useless. It's ALMOST possible to get it working with other vpn servers other then nokia's one but I have failed every time [only heard one or two success stories]. VPN with WIFI and VoIP is a great combo, if it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Can I confirm something: It *is* a 3G phone in Ireland, so you get 100s/1000s kilobits per second download speeds, correct?

Also, I read about Nokias having crashy OSes on them. Is it stable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Also, I read about Nokias having crashy OSes on them. Is it stable?

as smartphones go, symbian os is about as rock solid as you can get!!
    I've used Windows, Palm etc extensively and symbian is best imho by a very wide margin.
    Also as smartphones go, being much more than regular "fashion" phones they are prone to hang, lock occasionally.
    have had an N95-2 for a few months now and have to say its excellent. but I treat it carefully as I use it for much more than phone calls and texts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I just got the N95-8GB (N95-2 as it says on the box) and it is absolutely excellent for call quality compared to my previous E61 (original model).

Fring works without problems and connects to Skype and MSN Messenger.

Browsing is very quick and Vodafone Live's server (live.vodafone.ie) does connect you at HSDPA/3.5G speeds (I got 1.1Mbit/sec earlier today on a speed test, but it usually seems to run around 700-800kBit/sec). Downloading therefore ~ 100k/sec.

I did change the product code and use NSS to install the most recent firmware (v15 - otherwise you are stuck with the Vodafone branded firmware which is still at v11) which is lighteningly quick and probably the most responsive phone I've ever used for menus and keypresses, something that eternally has psised me off since S40 came out. There is zero - and I mean ZERO ! - delay in menus and moving around options.

Fantastic phone as a phone first. Speakerphone is good and loud too, very loud actually!

Reading reports on both and considering a switch to O2 who do the N95-1 (silver one), I got the Voda upgrade almost entirely based on the reports of abysmal (< 1day if used heavily with data) battery life.

iPhone would be nice but it's ancient in technology terms (i.e., EDGE just doesn't cut it since I remember making 3G video calls from switzlerland to ireland in 2005 on an irish vodafone 6680).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I just got the N95-8GB (N95-2 as it says on the box) and it is absolutely excellent for call quality compared to my previous E61 (original model).

Fring works without problems and connects to Skype and MSN Messenger.

Browsing is very quick and Vodafone Live's server (live.vodafone.ie) does connect you at HSDPA/3.5G speeds (I got 1.1Mbit/sec earlier today on a speed test, but it usually seems to run around 700-800kBit/sec). Downloading therefore ~ 100k/sec.

I did change the product code and use NSS to install the most recent firmware (v15 - otherwise you are stuck with the Vodafone branded firmware which is still at v11) which is lighteningly quick and probably the most responsive phone I've ever used for menus and keypresses, something that eternally has psised me off since S40 came out. There is zero - and I mean ZERO ! - delay in menus and moving around options.

Fantastic phone as a phone first. Speakerphone is good and loud too, very loud actually!

Reading reports on both and considering a switch to O2 who do the N95-1 (silver one), I got the Voda upgrade almost entirely based on the reports of abysmal (< 1day if used heavily with data) battery life.

iPhone would be nice but it's ancient in technology terms (i.e., EDGE just doesn't cut it since I remember making 3G video calls from switzlerland to ireland in 2005 on an irish vodafone 6680).

Pete,

Do you know if it works with Good Mobile Messaging? I've got an E61i which works fine with it, but then again Good do list this as a supported device. N95 doesn't get a mention, but i think it's got the same Symbian version on there S60?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Pete,

Do you know if it works with Good Mobile Messaging? I've got an E61i which works fine with it, but then again Good do list this as a supported device. N95 doesn't get a mention, but i think it's got the same Symbian version on there S60?

I don't know anything about that service, but I went to the good.com homepage, it downloaded the OSASetup and runs and detects the phone as N95 8G and on Vodafone network, running S60 3.1 OS. After that, it looks for email and PIN number for whatever server you are connecting to. I don't see why it wouldn't work if it runs on E61 - it's the same OS. Unless there is something special in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

All, thanks for the -ve feedback on the N95 8GB, I think I'll go & get it anyway,
    Gonzales.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

It's a good phone, but some cons:

- No Bluetooth Phonebook Access Profile which means if you have a bluetooth car kit you won't be able to access your phonebook and missed/received calls etc. Very poor show from Nokia on this front as almost every other phone manufacturer supports this bluetooth profile and in a feature-packed phone like the N95 I don't know how Nokia left this out.

- Pretty poor battery life. Expect to charge it every second day depending on usage. You may need to charge it every day with heavy usage, e.g lots of music and wi-fi use.

That's about it. I find that I've been using my old K800i as my daily phone as it works perfectly with my car kit which is a shame because I could live with the poor battery life if only Nokia could get their bluetooth implementation right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Honest Paul

Guys,

Are the GPS pre loaded on the N95 8G or do they have to be downloaded page by page. I was in ths Carphonewarehouse in Drogheda and Maynooth and the staff didn't know. All I needed to know was, was it going to cost me extra to use the GPS facility. Also does anyone knok the quality of the maps

Some info would be appreciated, please

Guys,

Are the GPS pre loaded on the N95 8G or do they have to be downloaded page by page. I was in ths Carphonewarehouse in Drogheda and Maynooth and the staff didn't know. All I needed to know was, was it going to cost me extra to use the GPS facility. Also does anyone knok the quality of the maps

Some info would be appreciated, please

The included maps are pretty basic far as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Honest Paul

Thanks. No one seems to have a "Demo" model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about that service, but I went to the good.com homepage, it downloaded the OSASetup and runs and detects the phone as N95 8G and on Vodafone network, running S60 3.1 OS. After that, it looks for email and PIN number for whatever server you are connecting to. I don't see why it wouldn't work if it runs on E61 - it's the same OS. Unless there is something special in it?

Thanks for that Pete.

It looks for email address and a PIN number - the PIN number is given to you by the system administrator (me in this case). I did some research and found that people had problems typing in the pin number as it didn't like the keypad (being non-qwerty) - but they found a workaround by pairing the n95 to a wireless keyboard first - then typing in the PIN number.

So hopefully it'll work. Think i'll take the plunge.

Advertisement