Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE.com's 10 Greatest Tag Teams of all time

• 14-03-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭

WWE.com’s “List This!” section completed a new list this week – their 10 greatest tag teams of all time

10. British Bulldogs
    9. The Rockers
    8. The Wild Samoans
    7. Harlem Heat
    6. Demolition
    5. The Fabulous Freebirds
    4. Edge & Christian
    3. The Hart Foundation
    2. The Hardys
    1. Legion of Doom

Like with my list for greatest singles wrestlers, I’m never too bothered with the order in which they appear, just as long as they do appear (I have three favourite teams of all time – The Harts, E & C and the New Age Outlaws).
    I also don’t have a huge problem with LOD being top in this list, as they are arguably the most well known team in the industry.
    They’re a bit like Hogan, where they are so famous, they cannot be denied their place in history and contribution to the industry, even though most people would say they’re not really the best.

The problem I have with this list is the absence of the Dudleys and the New Age Outlaws. The Dudleys AKA Team 3D are one of the most decorated teams ever (Only team to capture the TNA,WWE, ECW, WCW (or at least WWE’s version of the WCW) titles, and also for a team to have the longevity they have had in a today’s day and age of an almost non existent and, frankly, cr*p tag team scene, is saying something. They were also just as much a part of the famed TLC matches as E & C and the Hardys.
    The Outlaws, or VKM, again are one of the most decorated teams, certainly in WWE history anyway. These guys may have gone stale in TNA, but were a huge success in the Attitude era for WWE, even before they joined DX. Also, with the possible exception of E & C, these guys were the funniest team ever.
    Excluding these two teams is a joke, and I can’t help thinking it’s simply for the petty reason that they are both still active tag teams for WWE’s nearest competition. I know Booker and Christian made the list and are also with TNA, but as their respective tag teams are now defunct, WWE probably don’t see the harm in praising them.
    The other thing I have to laugh at is the modern day praise the Rockers get form WWE. I know they’re only no. 9 here, but on several DVD’s or retro programs WWE have produced in recent years, they talk about how the Rockers “lit up” the tag team scene in the 80’s/90’s. Really? All I remember is the Rockers constantly being used as cannon fodder for other teams, rarely getting title shots, not even any memorable, long running feuds with any teams that were champions, and when they finally did win the belts, Vince decided to erase it from history a few days later. Don’t get me wrong, the Rockers were very good, and I know they were popular with the actual fans, but WWE certainly didn’t think too much of them at the time and only praised them now in hind sight, largely because of what HBK later became and the status he has nowadays.
    Anyway, all in all, this list is pretty questionably I think,

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Although a case could maybe be made for the Dudleys exclusion the NAO should be at least number two on the list. The fact the Billy Gunn isn't in any of those teams kind of devalues the list itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Yeah would also have to put the new age outlaws on the list,and also the nasty boys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Los Guerreros should really get a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Yeah would also have to put the new age outlaws on the list,and also the nasty boys!

I think they gave the nasty boys an honourable mention.

I'm not surprised neither the dudleys or the new age outlaws are on the list. And the Steiners too. Seeing as they all have prominent roles with the competition.

I would say though, that the New Age Outlaws have somewhat tarnished their reputation during their run in TNA. At least in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

The NAO back in the day were everything a good tag team should be, I marked out for them silly everytime their music cued.

I can semi understand that that they don't include the Dudley's, NAO, and Steiner's but then when I think about it properly I can't really.

The Dudley's left on good terms with Vince and have repeatedly said that they'd like to work with the WWE again. Further, the WWE has started its 'industry news' section in attempt to become more legitimate, and be the definitive source and opinion in the wrestling world, but this list is so old-school WWE.

Also, the exclusion of the two above teams doesn't make a whole lot of sense when Booker T, who left on bad terms and has ripped all over them since he left, is included with Harlem heat.

What's interesting as well is that, WWE published this list, but why? The tag team division is dead and buried at the moment and this list only serves to re-enforce how $hit a job they are doing in terms of booking and promoting new tag teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I don't even remember Harlem Heat being that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Actually just realised that the Acolytes/APA got no mention, surprising given both are currently employed, but mores because they were pretty daecent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

decent list but very WWF oriented as you would expect

i would have the hollywood blondes ahead the likes of Demolition (who were really just a LOD rip off). The HB would have become the best tag-team of all time without question had WCW the balls to keep them together for a few years.

The Fabulous Ones and the midnight express should also get a mention

LOD number one is probably a given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The Fabulous Ones and the midnight express should also get a mention

First thing I thought when I looked at it. And considering that one half of the Fabulous Ones works for WWE now, I don't think you can read too much into whether they left certain guys out on purpose. I'd say they just polled the website office to see what people thought and put the list up. Probably very few employees who watched the NWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Yeah the lack of Midnight express makes the list weaker to me. I always love looking at Tully and Arn team up on dvd's but I can see why they wouldn't quite make the top `10.

I'd put Demolition in my top 10 too. They were a significant part of the WWE for quite a long time in a period when being tag champs meant something.

It's been said a thousand times but I really wish WWE would put more time into their division. It can mean something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

has to be edge and christian #1 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

DRakE wrote: »
    has to be edge and christian #1 !

+1. So so so funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

The Brian Busters and the Midnight Express should definitely be in there. Why did Harlem Heat get in? They were never in the WWE. And the Freebirds were only there for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I didn't really like Demolition as a kid but I did like WWF's other LOD/Road Warriors rip off; The Powers Of Pain. While I'll admit they probably shouldn't have been in the top 10, they were still better than Demolition imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No Money Inc.

Fail!

Hollywood Blonds should be there too.

Harlem Heat were ten or eleven times WCW Tag Champs. They deserve to be on that list.

Also if Owen Hart and the Bulldog had been around at a time when WWE had more talented tag teams I think you could make a case for them aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ok so there was no new age outlaws, no dudley boyz, no brothers of destruction, and did i mention NO NEW AGE OUTLAWS??!?!

this list=fail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEikx9oHFmk

kazoo's and streamers! long live the stream! and long live the zoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

didnt they just add the brisco Bro's to the Hall of fame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭brick tamland

no midnight express sounds strange to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Can-Am Connection (Rick Martel and Tom Zenk) were pretty decent. They had everything a great tag team should be. Physique, great moves and the fans loved them at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    didnt they just add the brisco Bro's to the Hall of fame?

Goes to show how irrelevant these lists are. They even had an article about them being the best brother tag team ever and then the Hardy's are No.2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

amull87 wrote: »
    Goes to show how irrelevant these lists are. They even had an article about them being the best brother tag team ever and then the Hardy's are No.2!

agree with you totally :rolleyes:

Ruu wrote: »
    The Can-Am Connection (Rick Martel and Tom Zenk) were pretty decent.

They were really over too. They didn't last long though. Presumably, Zenk did something wrong as Tito Santana replaced him.

Advertisement