Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Birthday Space Invaders!

Options
  • 14-03-2008 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Space Invaders celebrates it's 30th birthday today, and they're celerating it in...Thurles. Ok, not the most glitzy of places, but sure it'll be a laugh for anyone attending:
    Events are taking place today to mark the 30th anniversary of the release of the Space Invaders video game.
    The Tipperary Institute is hosting the Irish celebrations at its campus in Thurles.
    Space Invaders was launched in Japan in 1978. It is considered by many to be the starting point for the explosion in the popularity of computer games since then.
    It was so popular in Japan after its release that a coin shortage forced the authorities there to quadruple the number of Yen coins for people playing the game in arcades.
    As part of today's event teams from third level colleges across the country have designed new versions of the game, using cutting edge technologies to bring it into the 21st Century.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Tis one of the first games I ever played in the first arcade I ever visited. So many 10p's....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

wow...my home town actually has something of interest to me for once...

pity I ran away from there as quickly as my feet could and wont be able to see the celebrations...

weird though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sputnicks

Thurles ??? :D

Advertisement