Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia 4 months- advise!

• 14-03-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone. :) Myself and my boyfriend are hoping to go to Australia for 4 months or so in maybe August/ September of this year. I guess we would be planning to travel about a bit on the east coast, and hit all the major spots :) We would be happy to work a bit if possible, bars resteraunts etc. Does anyone know if places tend to be willing to take on staff for short periods of time, and if there are many jobs available at the moment?

Also, I guess the big question is- how much money would we need to have saved for this? Obviously theres a lot of variables here, but we would like to have a good time, not worry too much about eating beans from a can every night- but still not b going mad spending!

Would love to maybe call by New Zealand and/or Thailand on either the way there or back!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

In the smaller towns you will find it hard to get work. You should be able to pick up temp work in places like Brisbane, Sydney, and Cairns but if you tell them its only for a week its doubtful. Most places I think would want you for at least a month.

As for money its hard to judge, we done it on very little money as we had to, we went down the cheap food, cheap drink (GOON) route. I say we still spent between 2000+ dollars each. So save a good bit before you go. Look into what trips you are interested on doing and see what they cost. www.peterpans.com is a good place to start.

Other that just save as much as you can that way you can make sure its a good time, and keep the parents sweet for the next few months for any loans you may need.

No idea about NZ, Thailand is realtively cheap but you still spend alot of money while you are there. Again though if you have to live cheap you can, if you dont have to then you wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I found NZ pretty cheap,was there for 3 weeks on the way back from OZ with the gf.Its cheaper than Australia i found..
    Where in oz u planning to go?
    Sydney to Cairns?
    I did barwork in Mel,most of the staff were gone within a few weeks/months.
    You wouldnt make a huge amount of money and the hours would be pretty crap...
    Some bars dont close or are open 23 1/2 hours a day!

Advertisement