Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qualified to teach after PGCE?

• 14-03-2008 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi there,

I really want to become a qualified teacher and was thinking about the PGCE in Britain and coming back to Ireland to teach here.

I know you need to pass an exam once you return to Ireland but I was wondering if you can come back straight after your PGCE or do you have to stay on in Britain and teach for a certain amount of time?

Thanks a mill for any advice you might have!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 FJH

You can come back to Ireland and I believe there should be no problem 1. doing your h-dip year in Ireland and 2. you have 5 years to pass the SCG exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Moschner

Hi there,

I know a few people who went back to Ireland straight after the PGCE but they were primary teachers. I also know people who went back after a few years and the more experience you have the better I think. TO be honest the main issue is if you leave the UK before completing the induction year and you don't subsequently do the induction within 5 years of finishing the PGCE you would not be able to teach in the UK (that's if you wanted to..)

I am currently in my third year of teaching in the UK but would also like to go back to Ireland. Only issue is the lack of jobs!

Good luck anyway but be prepared for a gruelling year, however I think the UK training is excellent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tartopher

Thanks for your replies.
    Fingers crossed....!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

hey.
    Doing a secondary PGCE at the moment.
    The 5 year time limit on induction only begins once you start your induction year. In other words if you never start it, you never run out of time. The time limit is just to stop people who fail their induction year teaching.

Also if you're teaching secondary you'll need to do the History of Irish Education exam in UCD when you get back. Think it runs every may and november.

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

Yeah its coming up this weekend. Its in Maynooth these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement