Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

norman antivirus anyone?

• 14-03-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

just wondering reading some of the threads around what people's opinion are on norman antivirus. i've been running with it for the last year and a half and i feel like saying so far so good. I checked the antivirus comparator and it rates quite highly, although not that highly compared to others, but after reading some people's opinions on mcafee and the like, i was curious to hear some boardies expert opinions on our Norman :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Norton :)

The reason many people don't like Norton is because not only does it tend to hog your system resources and charge sill rates for updates, but there are also perfectly capable (and some would argue far better) free alternatives available that won't cost a red cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Norton :)

The reason many people don't like Norton is because not only does it tend to hog your system resources and charge sill rates for updates, but there are also perfectly capable (and some would argue far better) free alternatives available that won't cost a red cent.

are norman and norton one and the same? i didn't know that. they certainly don't look the same.

are you sure you're not the confused one?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ah, didn't realise there was actually a Norman as well, thought it was a typo :o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Have honestly never heard anything about it, which is probably not a good thing. I imagine it's ok, but nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I used it for a while. Norwegian company I believe who are involved with computer forensics. It was being favourably compared to Kaspersky at one stage. They had a piece of sandbox technology built into it - where the software could dump and look at any suspicious packages. AFAIK there is an online version of this. As AV well I didn't notice it, its resource usage was tolerable, relatively quick scans, it kept my machines clean, easy to use and the pricing was better than Kaspersky. But it's been 2-3 years since I used it so no idea how it currently rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

thanks for that guys, it shows up on http://www.av-comparatives.org/ (Which was just recently posted by cozmik) and rates mid table

Advertisement