Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are kittens hard to find?

Options
  • 14-03-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

The reason i'm asking is my friend is looking for one. But it's hard to find them

I see alot of ad's for people looking for them. I checked the Buy and Sell and they have none. Irishpets.ie dont have any either, well i seen 1 ad.

Does anyone know any other place to look ?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Definitely go to a rescue place - eg kittenadoption.ie - they are all swarmed with kittens.

I wouldn't buy a kitten anywhere as there are so many unwanted kittens being born all the time to strays and "unsupervised" pet cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

The pound has loads of them. Or dogs aid out in St Margarets usually have a few.
    Also this person needs a home for their kitten as he is being bullied by their other cats. And they can deliver him.:)
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/63/20389963.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

ya i seen that ad on gumtree a few minutes ago. I'll check those places thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Is your friend going to have this kitten indoors or out?
    And would they consider 2 ? both neutered? black 7 months old?

Indoor, But i dont think she would take 2. Sorry. Also she was looking for them to be a bit younger so they could get use to her... I dont know if this matters tho.. I'll ask and let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Ok , well these 2 guys are adorable, I hand reared them and there 2 brothers , got homes for the brothers, but found it hard to home these men.
    They are house trained , well behaved and the onlt reason i'm letting them go is because i have 6 already!!!
    I would love these men to get more attention than i can offer at present.

let me know

my friend asked if you had any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Rescues aren't swarmed with them at the moment & there are few to find as they are only starting to be born now.
    Give it another few weeks & then there will be kittens everywhere.
    I've 4 that are one week old today.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Kitten season hasn't really started yet. Like cotton says give it another few weeks and there'll be loads as always. One of our cats is expecting another bundle of em soon enough the slag :)

KerranJast wrote: »
    Kitten season hasn't really started yet. Like cotton says give it another few weeks and there'll be loads as always. One of our cats is expecting another bundle of em soon enough the slag :)

Its nicer to neuter!!:)

• Advertisement

Just for the record, the mother of mine is one from the colony I'm working through that was literally about to give birth when I caught her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

ISPCA Centre in Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Its nicer to neuter!!:)
    True but we live out in a rural area and have never had trouble finding homes for the kittens which are tremendous fun to have around. We usually end up keeping one of the litter ourselves too. Cats are natural mothers too and it kind of seems a bit cruel depriving them of that. We'll probably end up getting her neutered after this litter though, her third.

True but we live out in a rural area and have never had trouble finding homes for the kittens which are tremendous fun to have around. We usually end up keeping one of the litter ourselves too. Cats are natural mothers too and it kind of seems a bit cruel depriving them of that. We'll probably end up getting her neutered after this litter though, her third.

Ah yeah well it is a tad different in the country. As soon as my girl hit 6 months it was straight to the vet. I don't think they miss havin kittens if they never had any in the first place though. Not that she's ever told me!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

In the same boat as your mate tried all the shelters, they told me now is not a great time of the year for kittens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I don't think it's necessary to get a young kitten for it to get used to your friend. I have got cats at 7 months and three years and they settled in great. Kittens are gorgeous and cute but I prefer the quieter life of older cats!!! I'll be getting a two year old cat soon and while it might take a little longer for the cat to settle in, she will.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smilerterry

cotton wrote: »
    Rescues aren't swarmed with them at the moment & there are few to find as they are only starting to be born now.
    Give it another few weeks & then there will be kittens everywhere.
    I've 4 that are one week old today.:)

Hi Cotton,

is there any chance that you will be looking to rehome any of your kittens? My boyfriend and I are looking to adopt two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Please, please, please, have your cat neutered. It costs very little these days. There's no good reason to allow her have further litters, and every good reason to neuter her.

You may have no difficulty in finding homes for the kittens, but if they're not neutered either, then they will breed too, and so will their offspring - and they'll all need homes too. But with an estimated 300,000 unwanted kittens born in Ireland every year - it's unlikely they'll all find homes, not to mind homes where they'll be kept safe from traffic, neutered, blood-tested, wormed and vaccinated. The likelihood is most of the cats' offspring will be killed on the roads, or end up as feral strays, fending for themselves and suffering terribly from hunger and disease. If you look at the big picture, it's actually cruel NOT to neuter. Your cat will not miss out by not having kittens, believe me - to think so is simple anthropomorphism.

Please take the time to look at this link, written by cat expert Jan Emslie:

http://www.kittenadoption.org/neuter.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The last kitten I got was from the "good homes wanted" thread on this forum. Before that I called my local vet and asked if anybody was looking to rehome and I got two brothers, that was 9 years back, I still have one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Irony of this thread really, I had just managed to find a home for a kitten I found at the side of a road, was looking for days for someone to take her in as my own cat wouldn't talk to me if I kept her! She was a little tabby cat with a white belly and was such a sweetie, she'd jump into your arms when you went to see her!

But yea my mam went to our local verts to find a home for one, and she was amazed at how many people were looking for kittens! So I'd say your best bet is to do what most people have already said, go to rescue centres or advertise in a vets!

• Advertisement

Thanks guy's, we have already tried loads of shelters and nothing going! Have tried a couple of local vets and nothing there either. I think we shall hold on and as mentioned there will be lots needing rehoming in the next few months.

But, if you hear of any please get in touch.

Hi Cotton,

is there any chance that you will be looking to rehome any of your kittens? My boyfriend and I are looking to adopt two together.

Yep, they all will be looking for indoor only homes in 7 weeks time.

For a guideline, as always, please see www.kittenadoption.org

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

not hard to find, you could find a kittens in rehoming in Drogheda Animals Rescue

www.dar.ie

there is loads of kitten there.

cotton wrote: »
    Yep, they all will be looking for indoor only homes in 7 weeks time.

For a guideline, as always, please see www.kittenadoption.org

We would be really interested. Can I ask a question? You mentioned that their mother is from a colony (does this mean feral?), would this have any affect on the kittens personality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Ah yeah well it is a tad different in the country. As soon as my girl hit 6 months it was straight to the vet. I don't think they miss havin kittens if they never had any in the first place though. Not that she's ever told me!:p

I read a book that stated the earliest you should neuter female kittens at is four months old, which is a good idea I think as cats can become pregnant at six months. Unfortunately a lot of vets in Ireland don't like neutering cats under the age of six months and by then it can be too late as some vets will refuse to spay a pregnant female cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

boomerang wrote: »
    Your cat will not miss out by not having kittens, believe me - to think so is simple anthropomorphism.

A female cat won't think "I can't have kittens, I'm not a real woman!"

Apparently, my doctor thinks that I'll have trouble conceiving in the future, does it make me feel less of a woman? Hell no, I couldn't care less, probably because I'm not a big fan of babies (having Asperger's Syndrome, I'm very sensitive to sounds, babies screams and wails being one of them) and I can't ever see myself wanting one. (And if I ever change my mind, I'll foster or adopt)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

try looking up donedeal.ie if you are looking for kittens. they usually have a few free to good homes ad or check the ispca website
    good luck!:)

We would be really interested. Can I ask a question? You mentioned that their mother is from a colony (does this mean feral?), would this have any affect on the kittens personality?

Their mum is an ex domesticated stray, she's semi tame. The 4 kittens are being handled daily & love it.:)

Nutmeg.jpg
    Kenzie.jpg
    Spice.jpg
    Jonah.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I got way too many cats but dont think my Girlfriend would part with
    any of them.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055172350&page=13

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Mother of god they are the cutest things I've ever seen!!!!!!

I dont' think I could fit another kitty into my apartment though.

Advertisement