Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i Take Legal Action?

Options
  • 14-03-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, im a eircom dsl 2mb package account holder.

Iv had this connection for over a year now and im only receiving 1 mb. I AM PAYING FOR 2 MB EVERY MONTH. My line has excellent stats and is capable of more than 8 mb/s. I was even told this by eircom technicians. I continuously ring, lodge complaints and for a phonecall to come back it takes about 3 weeks. They always tell me my line checked out fine
    then go on to say the engineer must have forgot to change the line port to 2mb. This has happened about 4 times now and no matter who i speak to its always the same problem.

High snr Margin
    9/8 db attenuation.

Iv had other problems also with this company. They sent engineer to my home who werent capable of switching my computer on or find the return/enter key on the keyboard. I also had 3 weeks downtime before because they mixed my password up, altho they told me a engineer had accidently plugged me out of my exchange.

Fed up Customer of Eircom

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hi, im a eircom dsl 2mb package account holder.

Iv had this connection for over a year now and im only receiving 1 mb. I AM PAYING FOR 2 MB EVERY MONTH. My line has excellent stats and is capable of more than 8 mb/s. I was even told this by eircom technicians. I continuously ring, lodge complaints and for a phonecall to come back it takes about 3 weeks. They always tell me my line checked out fine
    then go on to say the engineer must have forgot to change the line port to 2mb. This has happened about 4 times now and no matter who i speak to its always the same problem.

High snr Margin
    9/8 db attenuation.

Iv had other problems also with this company. They sent engineer to my home who werent capable of switching my computer on or find the return/enter key on the keyboard. I also had 3 weeks downtime before because they mixed my password up, altho they told me a engineer had accidently plugged me out of my exchange.

Fed up Customer of Eircom

ComReg? Log eeverything and look at small claims court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

nuxxx wrote:
    High snr Margin
    9/8 db attenuation.
    Are you saying your SNR margin reading is 9 dB? Because if so, that's not high at all, that's borderline holding a connection. SNR should ideally be at least 13 dB for a solid connection that'll give you full speed.

From the same page you got your SNR Margin in your modem can you post up the speeds your modem is connecting to the exchange at? This'll tell you that you are either on the wrong profile (you'll see something like 1024/128 which is the 1Mb package) or your line has connected up at the maximum speed it can handle, in which case eircom should have switched you back to the 1Mb package ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Sue them for all they're worth! I had a bad experience just trying to get a simple phone line in my last apartment and I will never be a customer of theirs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Kensington wrote: »
    Are you saying your SNR margin reading is 9 dB? Because if so, that's not high at all, that's borderline holding a connection. SNR should ideally be at least 13 dB for a solid connection that'll give you full speed.

From the same page you got your SNR Margin in your modem can you post up the speeds your modem is connecting to the exchange at? This'll tell you that you are either on the wrong profile (you'll see something like 1024/128 which is the 1Mb package) or your line has connected up at the maximum speed it can handle, in which case eircom should have switched you back to the 1Mb package ages ago.

9/8 db is his attenuation which is excellent and means he's basically living in the exchange.:) He said he has a high snr figure. It is also possible to keep a stable connection with an SNR margin much lower than 13db (even as low as 6db) if you line is setup on the correct package.
    He's obviously setup on the wrong package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Completely misread that, sorry

*goes back to sleep* :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Kensington wrote: »
    Completely misread that, sorry

*goes back to sleep* :o

Isn't it well for you that you can sleep in the middle of the day.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

yup my line attenuation is 9/8 db

I cant quote my snr Margin as im posting from a college pc and cant remember it off the top of my head. Afaik its well over 30 with no CRC? errors.

Thanks for replying guys as u can see im pretty pissed off more input is welcome of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Put a summary of all your calls letters in to a formal written complaint (registered post). Seek partial refund for the months you've paid, and demand the situation be rectified. If, after 10 working days, they haven't responded to your satisfaction, then off to ComReg with you. Don't bother ringing eircom anymore (as any CSR you get won't want to go out of their way for your now complex case).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

cgarvey wrote: »
    Put a summary of all your calls letters in to a formal written complaint (registered post). Seek partial refund for the months you've paid, and demand the situation be rectified. If, after 10 working days, they haven't responded to your satisfaction, then off to ComReg with you. Don't bother ringing eircom anymore (as any CSR you get won't want to go out of their way for your now complex case).

This is how you should deal with this.

Advertisement