Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Topic closed

Options
  • 14-03-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

The keyring just a promotion tool - much like this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is that the garage your uncle owns (or is manager of or something)?

How many other garages have you bought cars from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Is that the one on the Tipperary Rd (just up the road from Halfords etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

First up it's nothing unusual. Most garages will throw in something, especially if you ask. We bought on 05 X3 from Keoghs and got a proper BMW keyring and €50 of vouchers for MINI merchandise for the kids. They screwed up a bit on transfer of documents so they also lobbed in €50 (or €100, can't rem) worth of service vouchers and a years road tax. Someone else I know bought a Volvo and got a big bunch of flowers, another friend bought a Merc CLK and got a load of Mercedes stuff - polo shirts and the like.

And secondly isn't pimping a business against the rules? I know that it's not your business but it is a family members.

If it is that one on the Tipp Rd i hope you're joking about it being a decent place to buy a car.

I bought a 2001 Golf there last July for 8k. The car had apparently passed the NCT 2 days before i picked it up. I drove it home to Shannon and parked it up outside the house. Then 2 minutes later drove it down to a mates house, the car died outside his house. I rang the owner of O'Mara Motors who had sold me the car and told him what happened, he got on to a mechanic in Shannon to come down and look at it who told me the timing belt was gone. Bit strange considering it had just been changed 4 days ago.

So the owner sends out a tow truck the next morning to take it away which left me without a car for a week while it was getting fixed. Got a phone call 8 days after it was towed away saying it was in perfect condition now and it had been a faulty timing belt put into the car(how did it pass the NCT) so not his fault. I accepted this and took the car away. 2 days after this while driving on a dual carriageway it kicked out of 5th gear and into neutral. I thought i might have knocked it by accident so i put it back into 5th and the same thing happened again.

I pulled into the hard shoulder to let the car sit for a minute. Started up again and got into 1st and 2nd no problem but then i physically couldnt put it into 3rd(im a big bloke), i even tried it with my right hand but no luck. So i just about got it home in 2nd gear, parked it up and rang the owner to tell him about this. Full of apologies of course, said nothing like this has ever happened(yeah right). So the next morning before work i went to start it just to check how it was, the car wouldnt even start. Luckily enough the girlfriend was still in the house and could bring me to work.

So the car sat outside my house for 3 days before the owner of the garage got his own mechanic out to take a look at the car. He said the gearbox was fúcked which i thought was strange since the owner told me there was a brand new one put in before i drove it away the first time. Got fed up of all his bullshítting and just took my money back, he tried to offer me all sorts of cars to keep the money.

Absolute cowboy and ive made sure none of my friends or family buy from him. Hopefully this post helps people realise how much of a sham that dealership is.

• Advertisement

So are you saying you didn't get the free keyring and demisting cloth?

;)

ninty9er wrote: »
    It's my second car. I bought the first from another uncle who's a main Ford Dealer
    What were your experiences of buying from him? Any freebies? Which uncle would you say is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Wow. Buy a car and get a free keyring and cloth. The market must be slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Wow. Buy a car and get a free keyring and cloth. The market must be slow.

Wasn't too interested in the cloth and keyring, just the offer of a service voucher, considering i spent just about €5k and lumbered them with a trade sale as a trade in.

Can't find the letter now for exact wording, my dad did some shredding lastnight so I'm assuming all this week's post went in.

Wasn't too interested in the cloth and keyring, just the offer of a service voucher, considering i spent just about €5k and lumbered them with a trade sale as a trade in.

Can't find the letter now for exact wording, my dad did some shredding lastnight so I'm assuming all this week's post went in.

Point your uncle towards my post and see what he has to say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Reports of this dealership are mixed. If a keyring a demisting cloth make it A1+ 99'er, I'll give that opinion it's due merit.

Wasn't too interested in the cloth and keyring, just the offer of a service voucher, considering i spent just about €5k and lumbered them with a trade sale as a trade in

Firstly you are a nephew of teh owner so what you spent and what you got may not be comparable with what teh average punter might spend and get.

Secondly you'll get a money off voucher if someone goes in and spends more money on teh back of your recommendation. So if I bought a car and they make €2000 profit off your recommendation you'll get a €50 voucher (or whatever). Not a great commission rate that, is it?

But then, looking at your sig, maybe you are just easily pleased?! ;)

Reports of this dealership are mixed. If a keyring a demisting cloth make it A1+ 99'er, I'll give that opinion it's due merit.

Again, the demisting cloth and keyring are all nice touches, but it was the service discount that I was pointing out as the main plus point.

I know people who've bought new BMWs and haven't gotten a tank of petrol with them. So as regards their €70k shop and my €5k (+ tiny trade in) I think I've done fairly well.

@Mellion; did they sort the problem, because there's many a garage wouldn't even try...(e.g. the Main MB dealer in Limerick blaming my neighbour for being overweight and causing pressure on the wiring loom under the seat which caused the engine and electrics on a 6 month old E-Class to fail at 70 mph:eek::eek:)
    Technically, you weren't entitled to your money back under Sale of Goods as they offered to put it right.

He blatantly lied to me saying there was a new timing belt and gear box put into the car before i collected it. I had a 3 month warranty so yes i was entitled to my money back.

All slagging and joking aside naming names may not be a good idea (no matter who you're related to)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

JHMEG wrote: »
    What were your experiences of buying from him? Any freebies? Which uncle would you say is better?
    :D

A tank of petrol standard? You must be joking with those shower. I put petrol into it myself and he didnt even put any into it when he took it back after the timing belt debacle

I can accept that I probably got a better deal on the car, but a tank of petrol is standard to all customers and the letter I got was one of the mailshot type ones with no particular indication that the PR Manager even signed it by hand, let alone hand picked me because I have the same second name as the MD (no it's not O'Mara)

Then again, Irish people are very slow to actually lodge a formal compliant so it would be difficult for thisng to be set right under those circumstances.

I have no idea what you are talking about in teh second para?

As for the letter... You're making a big deal out of getting it and what a spectacular piece of customer relations it is. Everyone else is saying that it's actually not that special (oh and to stop pimping your family businesses!)

Or do you also go on the shopping forums and talk about how amazing it is that Dunnes send you money off coupons when you use your value club card and isn't that just the best customer service in the world??!

Anyway....back to my original purpose...is it normal to get a service discount for a "recommendation"...sure it could be someone who was going to buy a car there anyway:rolleyes:

A xxxx is not the owner, and he's one of the people with the highest satisfaction ratings there...at least 4 of my mam's friends have returned to buy a 2nd car from him in the past year, and not on her recommendation either.

I will now remove the name above as you've obviously got issues with a SALESMAN (albeit ONE of the owner's son) and not one of the owners.

Id imagine its a pity thing when they return to buy cars from him and you'll be the only one who knows what that means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

You definitely dealt with the wrong person:eek::eek:

I know anytime anyone I know bought a car from either uncle (new or secondhand) they got a tank of petrol. When O'Maras were based mainly on the Ennis Road they'd even fill it for you!
    Yes, because you bought it from your uncle.

Is it really that hard to ****ing understand?

Tragedy wrote: »
    Yes, because you bought it from your uncle.

Is it really that hard to ****ing understand?

No, that's exactly my point. I know it wasn't a singling out of me as the MDs nephew, why bother, I already have a reason to go back.

Again: te re-iterate

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD SUCH A LETTER FROM A GARAGE WHERE THEY BOUGHT A CAR??

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

This is beyond belief.

You are some moron ninty9er!

FOR FU<K SAKE

CAN ANYONEANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION without taking a pop at me.

Richardshiel (anything to the local Ford dealer by any chance) you have been reported for personal abuse.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Melion wrote: »
    I bought a 2001 Golf there last July for 8k. The car had apparently passed the NCT 2 days before i picked it up
    ....... he got on to a mechanic in Shannon to come down and look at it who told me the timing belt was gone. Bit strange considering it had just been changed 4 days ago....had been a faulty timing belt put into the car(how did it pass the NCT) so not his fault.
    2 days after this while driving on a dual carriageway it kicked out of 5th gear and into neutral. He said the gearbox was fúcked which i thought was strange since the owner told me there was a brand new one put in before i drove it away the first time. Got fed up of all his bullshítting and just took my money back, he tried to offer me all sorts of cars to keep the money.

I don't know this garage from Adam, and I do find the OP's post curious, given that he's related. I mean, did he NOT expect to hauled over, promoting a relations garage........??

Anyhoo - to your post.
    So, you bought a car. It let you down.
    They fixed it. But it let you down again.
    You got your money back.
    You didn't need to go to court, and they (don't seemed to have..) fought you over it.
    The experience wasn't good, but, you have all your money back......so, the issue here is, what, exactly.........?

Now separately, you should note that the timing belt has absolutely nothing to do with the NCT, and the NCT explicitly state on a notice in their premises that they don't have anything to do with it, nor accept any responsibility for TB failure during, or as a result of, the NCT. You can't even see it on an engine, for goodness' sake. The NCT guys won't even unbuckle a seat belt, or lift a carpet to see if the spare wheel is there, so I honestly don't know what you are expecting from them.........

You paid 8k for a Golf, knowing it had a gearbox....'history' ? So you knew, before you bought it. So, the dealer is at fault for telling you that, rather than not...?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

FOR FU<K SAKE

CAN ANYONEANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION without taking a pop at me.

Richardshiel (anything to the local Ford dealer by any chance) you have been reported for personal abuse.:mad::mad:

Of course I am not related to the Ford dealer. That is your area of expertise.

You seem very thin skinned for a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You are some moron ninty9er!

A lot less of that please. First and final warning.

would I have received a similar letter??

How difficult is that to understand.
    In fairness you titled the thread O'Mara Motors - Limerick (A+)

You didn't need to mention the dealer's name, and especially not in the title, and most people seem to think you did so because the owner is your uncle, myself included.

I thought pimping was against the rules, but it doesn't seem to be.

OT, but why is your sig based essentially on Social Welfare related items?

There have been a few posts on here saying that:

(a) What happened is not unusual or particularly impressive

and

(b) By posting it and making such a big deal of it you are basically pimping a relatives business

In the process you have also possibly libeled an easily identifable member of the staff at a named garage (who also happens to be your cousin, if I'm following things)

So I think you've probably done enough damage with this thread and it may be time to let it die!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The same garrage knowingly sold my father a crashed car a few years ago. They denied it, after it was noticed, the previous owner was produced, who pointed out to them that not only did they know about it, they were the ones that repaired it. Cue new car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement