Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for Roaccutane Use.

• 14-03-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've just been started on roaccutane for the first time by my dermatologist. He advised me to use sun block and some form of moisturizer. can anyone recommend the best possible products so as to avoid any bad skin reactions!?

Also, did anyone drink alcohol while they were on it, and if so, did you do any damage?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

As far as dryness, your lips will get the most damage. Have some vaseline on ya at all times.
    Drinking wise, i drank while on it, not much at all though, didnt need much to be honest. You tolerance will disappear, i made sure when i was drinking id only drink a small bit. A few pints every now and then, but just know that your liver is a bit shook when on roaccutane so alcohol isnt going to do it any favours.
    My livers grand AFAIK but thats because I controlled my drinking and never went out on the piss. I wouldnt advise drinking while on it if your not going to change your drinking habits (if you drink alot on nights out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

dont for the love of god drink OR try to get a sun tan. i did both and the sun caused a rash and the one time i drank i felt my guts (or was it liver?) moving until it was over (drank lots of water).

it was tequlia though...
    Thats really disregarding the doctors orders! I didnt do tequila but i do think I remember if i was drinkin, and had maybe 1 more pint then I said I would, id feel it the next day. Not stomach or head, probably liver. Ugh, memorys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Use a Factor 50 sunblock if you can ~ the kids ones are great. Your skin will be hugely photosensitive whilst you are on it and also for a long period of time afterwards. I would guess you're on it for 9 - 12 months? In which case it'll be all through the summer which is a bit of a nuisance.

I had no affect at all with booze so not sure if that says more about me or the drugs ;)

I wouldn't recommend Vaseline for your lips ~ they will dry so much they will probably crack when you smile...mine did and it was awful!!! Try and get a few balms and keep one everywhere! The health food shops are great for the ones that would contain things like beeswax rather than petroleum based ones like Vaseline. Burts Bees do good products too with little or no alcohol/petroleum content.

Good luck on Roaccutane ~ I was on it for 9 months and it did wonders for me. I still have dry skin now after being off it for 4 years but I think it was worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BirrDude

sound advice, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

BirrDude wrote: »
    I've just been started on roaccutane for the first time by my dermatologist. He advised me to use sun block and some form of moisturizer. can anyone recommend the best possible products so as to avoid any bad skin reactions!?

Also, did anyone drink alcohol while they were on it, and if so, did you do any damage?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Cheers

Use MAWS baby factor 50 sunblock, and buy Simple moisturiser for dry/very dry skin and use it day and night. Use a cream such as nivea to clean your face , rub in lots and remove gently with soft tissue, DON'T use facewash or soap and water. Burts Bees lipbalm from the health food shop or the Body Shop lip butter is much much better than vaseline, and keep it on you so you can constantly reapply it. If you are very careful to be consistant with all this you won't suffer the excess dryness.

One more thing, it's been said before, but stay away from the alcohol, not only does it stress your already stressed lliver, but it causes facial redness and dryness, which you don't want. All this from close family experience, and I hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I didn't use any moisturiser to prevent the dryness at first and ended up looking like I'd had serious sunburn and peeling :( I did find at that stage that there was a clinique thirsty skin moisturiser that was absolutely amazing, and didn't feel yicky heavy like the other e45 type creams. If you're a bloke, get a female friend to buy it for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

For the lips, I swore by carmex lip balm when I was on roaccutane. Also e45 moisturisers to keep my skin from drying out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Anyone know if roaccutane causes an initial breakout of acne when you first start taking it?

I vaguely remember that being a possibility. It takes between a month and 2 months to see some sort of effects though so dont dispare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I vaguely remember that being a possibility. It takes between a month and 2 months to see some sort of effects though so dont dispare.
    It actually does most of it's work when you finish the course, so stick with it.

Doctor says don't drink, then don't drink. It's as simple as that, if you literally can't stop yourself drinking whilst on it, you should consider seeing a professional who deals with alcoholism.

It's a very, very serious drug, with potentially lethal side effects so don't fck around with it and do what your doctor tells you to do.

I used E45 whilst on it for moisturiser. My skin didn't really dry up too often though, but it went really pale for the duration of the course and for a long time after (during which I tried to get a bit of a tan, wearing factor 20 and burnt the shíte out of myself). Only other side effect I experienced was one day I had a dry nose (inner) which bled, was only one day though so didn't worry too much.

Side effects will differ from person to person, so as I said, do exactly what your doctor says and nothing else. Drinking whilst on it is nothing but stupidity.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I havent actually been prescribed it yet. I am going to the dermatologist soon. I only have moderate acne but it is completely resistant to any treatment. I have tried every over-the-counter product and countless antibiotics, both oral (tetracyclines, minocycline twice and doxycycline) and topical (dalacin T, zindaclin, duac). I really want to get rid of it once and for all. But I've been doing some research on the net and there are some horror stories about peoples acne actually getting worse which is kinda freaking me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

#15 wrote: »
    I havent actually been prescribed it yet. I am going to the dermatologist soon. I only have moderate acne but it is completely resistant to any treatment. I have tried every over-the-counter product and countless antibiotics, both oral (tetracyclines, minocycline twice and doxycycline) and topical (dalacin T, zindaclin, duac). I really want to get rid of it once and for all. But I've been doing some research on the net and there are some horror stories about peoples acne actually getting worse which is kinda freaking me out!

Yep, as I remember, mine got worse for between 8-10 weeks when I first started on it but then within a few days I saw a huge difference. Not sure if it's your body getting rid of the bacteria through the skin, or your body just reacting to such a strong drug but whatever, it was worth the extra two months of uncomfortablness to get the finished result of no worrying forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anyideas

I found the best thing for dealing with the dry skin was to use Aqueous cream in the shower instead of regular soap/showergel. You can get a tub of this in a pharmacy for around 5euro and it lasts ages. It definately worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭missingyou

I dont know if this is true for everyone, but I know my boyfriend suffered from depression while on the stuff, not serious full on depression, but i know he was not himself! so be careful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

missingyou wrote: »
    I dont know if this is true for everyone, but I know my boyfriend suffered from depression while on the stuff, not serious full on depression, but i know he was not himself! so be careful :)

Firstly to the OP , congrats , perfect skin is just a month or two away:)

As for the depression, everyone experiences it to different levels but either way it is the main side effect that most dermatologists worry about when prescribing the medecine. That is even to the point that they would be worried about prescribing it to someone who was say living away from home in student accommodation or similar. While like missingyou said I may have experienced slightly affected moods it really is difficult to tell how many external factors influenced that at the same time. But at the end of the day so long as you dont think on it and remember that anythign you do feel is just a side effect it wont effect you at all ... and just remember the confidence booster your about to get when the stuff pays off :D If that doesn't keep you beaming then what can ;)

The other point is do not drink on roaccutane. No exceptions , the people on here may have done it but they were foolish to do so and everyone is different , they may have been lucky to get away with it. Your dermatologist would tell you not to drink. The reasons being firstly that your liver is under enough pressure as it is, like you need blood tests every month to make sure it hasn't calved , that's serious. Secondly , there is enough emotional pressure on you through the side effect of roaccutane , you dont need the "emotional side-effects" of a glass of vodka adding to that . Its a small sacrifice but it is simply better safe than sorry.

Slap on the moisturiser (double base is excellent,ask pharmacist) and never be far from your vaseline as everyone else already said and sure you'll be out the other side before you even realise it

lol i stand to be corrected! per usual.... xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

missingyou wrote: »
    lol i stand to be corrected! per usual.... xD

Nah you were right , it did effect me , my point was that it may or may not affect the OP more or less . I was demotivated at times but that doesnt mean to say that they may not be breeze through it with nothing or find themselves crying in the corner . There are a lot of individual characteristics involved.

Thats due to the different chemicals which are found in different individuals, causing different reactions, no??

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CapnMark

Moisturize constantly, doesnt matter which brand as long as it agrees with you.

Avoid soap like the plague, wash skin delicately, dont use facecloths sponges etc, find something much less coarse unless you want your skin to fall off. DONT DRINK. I did, not worth it, felt like crap afterwards. Wear sunglasses when out, increase text size on your pc monitor if applicable, carry eye drops as your eyes will become more sensitive to light and use a lot of sunscreen,

Apart from that, worked fantastic for me, worst part was the cracking lips.

Best of Luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Have no experience of Roaccutane myself but for dry lips Blistex Medicated DCT (daily conditioning treatment) is a life saver. It comes in a small litte tub, easy to carry around and will last for a good while. I get dry lips sometimes and after trying every product on the market this is by far the best I've come across.

Best of luck with everything, hope the treatment works for you if you go on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what does roaccutane do???

its for clearing up acne!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

I was on this about 6 years ago, it worked brilliantly. I was on a 6 month course. side effects differ from person to person, I found I was very very tired a lot of the time, and would come home from work and conk out on the couch and head up to bed and sleep for 8-9 hours. I also suffered from lower back pain towards the end too. My skin was very very dry, like other said kept lip balm everywhere, even my ears were dry. sometimes you can find that you eyes & nose will become dry too. It was all worth it for me.

Mind you now I have acne again, I have come off the pill, so its hormone related, all around my jaw, chin.... pain in the a*s.

best of luck with it, I am sure you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Dermalogica do some good facial sunblocks, they have a tinted and non-tinted one. They are spf 25 I think. They're gentle on the skin, you might want to try one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 m13

I'm on my second round of roaccutane at the moment. I've tried every lip balm I know of and I found vaseline the best. You just have to put it on about a hundred times a day, don't even wait til your lips actually start to feel dry, or else they'll start to crack and already be damaged! also la roche posay ceralip lip repair cream is excellent, its for dry lip conditions specifically due to side effects of medication, and you can get it in the chemists. I would just use it maybe once or twice a day and use vaseline the rest of the time.

For skin dryness I had always used E45 which is very good but now I'm using vaseline intensive rescue relief and repair balm on my face, because the skin on my face was basically just peeling off and was getting damaged. this stuff is a godsend in my opinion. you can get it in the supermarket.

as regards the drinking, I used to drink sometimes the last time I was on it, but i would invariably feel more unwell than usual the next day or even that night, so I'm trying to stay off the drink altogether this time. you get used to not drinking and you save money, which is useful seeing as being on roaccutane is very expensive!

Also vichy dermablend is a brilliant make up, you can get it in the chemists it helps cover up acne scars and a lot of dermatologists recommend it.

all in all, being on roaccutane is a major pain but it's definitely worth it in my opinion. hope all that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Persuader

Hi all I have just started Roaccutane 3 days ago and was wondering how soon some of the side effects mentioned start.And I do like going to gym and playing Football have any of you any advice on wether it is a good to keep these going while on Roaccutane or should I give them a miss.Also I was prescribed 30mg would this be considered a light dosage or about normal compared to what some of you have been prescribed.Thanks

Persuader wrote: »
    Hi all I have just started Roaccutane 3 days ago and was wondering how soon some of the side effects mentioned start.Also I was prescribed 30mg would this be considered a light dosage or about normal compared to what some of you have been prescribed.Thanks
    Thats a 20Mg and a 10mg pill yes? Think i started on 20Mg, then ended up on at least 40Mg. 30 is about normal id say.

Side affects, cant really remember too acuratly, but maybe 2 weeks into it. Make sure you have your vaseline handy. I had a few placed about here and there. 1 in the pocket, one in my bag, one in the car.
    Remember, hot showers dry out your skin big time, as does washing with some soaps. Get a moisturising soap and that should help somewhat.

Thanks for reply.I have to take a 20mg and two 5mg every morning.My skin has just flared up in an fresh outbreak of acne so I'm eager for it to take effect although I have heard it can take up to 6 weeks or so to show results.How are your results going so far?.

• Advertisement

Persuader wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.I have to take a 20mg and two 5mg every morning.My skin has just flared up in an fresh outbreak of acne so I'm eager for it to take effect although I have heard it can take up to 6 weeks or so to show results.How are your results going so far?.
    Oh im off the stuff a few years now! Worked a charm! But yeah, it does take a while. About 2 months to see any real improvement, thats not to say no acne, only less. After my 6 month course i had to do another 3 month course i think. Just to get the niggly bas***ds! But have patience, stick to the treatment and you'll get your reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, I've been off it 3 years now, and the advice here is mostly corresponding to what I found.

Keep some vaseline and eye drops with you wherever you go. I drank once on it and got diahorrea, so I didn't try any further. I did get stiff muscles and things but just kept going.

Of course, it dries out your skin completely, but I think that's half the point. For 5 months it appeared to have no effect, and then in the remaining 3 months, all my acme dried up and disappeared. And it's more or less never come back :)

Thanks again for your replies I'll post up in 6 months or so and let you know what results are like then,here's hopeing I get the same results as yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

I've just been prescribed Roaccutane for the second time in 8 years for Hydradenitis Supperativa and was wondering has anyone else with this condition found Roaccutane to work for them? I found it to work great for almost 8 years but the HS has been coming back over the last year to the point where I wanted to go back to my dermatolodist to see what could be done.
    Last time I took Roaccutane I was on it for 4 months but I dont remember how many MGs I was on daily. This time I've been prescribed 20mg a day for 8 months and the derma said its a lower dose this time but for a longer period of time so I must have been on 40mg or something the last time over the 4 months.

My dermatologist seems fairly sure that after this treatment of Roaccutane it will be the end of Hydradenitis Supperativa for me. She also recommemded 2 - 3 baths a week with a cup of Milton added to it as a way of preventing any further symptoms of HS while the Roaccutane kicks in. Apparently this is proving very helpful in America as a new treatment for preventing further HS occurances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

It's been taken off the market by one of the major distributors

http://www.awkolaw.com/blog/accutane/roche-holding-ag-recalls-accutane-following-lawsuit-verdict/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Nools wrote: »

In the USA, not here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Always have a tube of Labello on you. Ponds cold cream is great for the dryness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

eth0_ wrote: »
    In the USA, not here.

yeah I know, but thought it was worth a mention

I may be wrong ofc but as far as I know this company actually supply the Irish market too so in actuality - it may well be the case that the only supply available might be whatever the pharmacies have in stock.

If I had been affected by this drug I'd be doing something about it like a lot of other people seem to be doing. If you google this case you'll find there are lawyers seeking possible victims of the side affects of this drug. It hasn't affected me but if it had - I'd be fighting my case.

Which leads me too ..... I've only just been prescribed this drug today, for the second time - am I willing to take the risks involved in taking such a controversial drug or am I will to live with the possibility of HS getting worse and progressing? Just because it didn't effect me the last time I took it doesn't guarantee it won't this time. This is a huge concern and decision for a lot of people considering using this form of treatment I'd imagine. Ahh I donno what to do!

Nools wrote: »
    yeah I know, but thought it was worth a mention

Some of the law suits that lead to its withdrawal were pretty ridiculous - depression, other psychological problems, suicide - although they are rare, they all are listed as possible side effects of this drug and that is why you must see your prescribing doctor REGULARLY to assess if it is affecting your mental state. It is also up to your family and friends to keep an eye out for any behavioural changes.

Eth0 I feel I have to respond to your last post. How can you say these cases were 'pretty rediculous'? Depression, other psychological problems and suicide are far from rediculous reasons to file a law suit.

When I took Roaccutane 8 years ago there were a couple of cases reported in Ireland of young men committing suicide and roaccutane was mentioned as being a possible cause. I know of a fella who swears Roaccuatane threw him into a severe depression and another guy who took Roaccutane for acne and now has Chron's disease. There are reports that say these things can be related to Roaccutane.
    I'm also pretty sure that most people who have been on roaccutane, given the warnings that it comes with, would have been throughly and regularly checked. Why do you assume that because some people suffered the possible side effects that its because they didn't get regularly checked or that their families didn't bother to notice their changes in mood etc.

I just think you should be careful what you post and be more sensitive to the issues surrounding Roaccutane. The side affects are listed on the leafelet that comes with the medicine - sure, they are listed so the manufacturers can try to cover themselves againt claims etc. but these side effects didnt come from nowhere. The side effects are mentioned because they are real - not imaginary, and certainly not rediculous - which I doubt would be the word of choice the sufferers of these side effects would use to describe their experiences. Granted, some people may have tried to make a buc from this - but you seemed to have generalised, that's all.

• Advertisement

Rodar08 wrote: »
    I just think you should be careful what you post and be more sensitive to the issues surrounding Roaccutane.

And I think you should re-read my post because you clearly missed the point.
    I know someone who took roaccutane for 6 months and his dermatologist was extremely clear with him that it is possible to become clinically depressed or suicidal AS A RESULT OF THE DRUG, and as such he had to regularly visit his doctor, and ask his family and friends to watch out for behavioural oddities.

So if you re-read my post you will see I acknowledge that the drug causes depression and suicidal thoughts, but all drugs carry side effects and it's up to the patient and their doctor to look out for them.

Acne can be a devastating condition that itself can make sufferers depressed and suicidal. Those who are prescribed it are at the end of their tether and you'd like to think most would follow the warnings and instructions on the information leaflet to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

It worked straight away for me. I noticed improvements within two weeks. I still get the odd spot, 7 years later, but nowhere near as bad and none on my body.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bytheway

People need to be careful here. I did a huge amount of research and it very clear to me that Roaccutane can cause permanent side effects most notably IBS and sever joint pain.
    I am on Day 3 with Roaccutane and not sure if I will continue. There is a real chance that you will get long term side effects not only a month or tow after this drug but can reek havoc years down the line.
    The acne I have is definitely bearable as its on my chest and back. It not nice when I go to the pool or when I'm on the beach but I getting to the point where I don't really care what people may think.
    There are very few people in life that will escape without scarring of some kind and if all I have is acne then thats truely a blessing.
    Do you own research, for me I love the gym, swimming and hurling.
    If I couldn't perform these sports due to severe permanent joint pain then you would indeed see a depressed person !!!!
    I have not yet exausted other possibilities and will do so before trying Roaccutane again as the long term effect quite frankly are too scary to tempt fate. Buts that my opinion for me and everyone differs.
    Short term side effects are one thing but permanent is something else entirely.

What age are you ?
    I can see that you clearly sympathies with acne sufferers but you seem to be pro a drug that you or anybody else knows little about in terms of long term side effects.
    Drugs aren't taken off the market for ridiculous reasons. Bet you haven't walked in a depressed persons shoes! I haven't and definitely don't want too. I am going to stop taking this drug for my own reasons and will delve more into it to see what I can find. I will report back if I have anything that may interest people.
    eth0_ wrote: »
    Some of the law suits that lead to its withdrawal were pretty ridiculous - depression, other psychological problems, suicide - although they are rare, they all are listed as possible side effects of this drug and that is why you must see your prescribing doctor REGULARLY to assess if it is affecting your mental state. It is also up to your family and friends to keep an eye out for any behavioral changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

There's a lot of fear mongering going on with this medication, no-one's going to go on it for fun! I was incredibly socially anxious when my acne became bad in my late teens, couldn't go out, couldn't sleep properly because of the fear of what people would say and because of the pain of the acne on my back if I lay on it etc. Roaccutane gave me a normal life, bit extreme, but my acne was one of the worst my dermatolgist had ever seen. I started off depressed on it, and ended up happy, and confident to leave the house and do normal day to day things.

I also read a hell of a lot of research papers before I went on it, asked my GP, the other GP in the practise and my dermatologist everything I could think of, both medically and ananecdotally; I also asked anyone I knew who had been on it how they had felt through it, and if it was worth it. I then decided to go on it, my only side effects were dry skin/lips and a bit of joint pain towards the end when I was on the highest dose for my body weight, but that went after a week of being off it.

If in doubt, talk to your doctor, there's other options out there to try with severe acne, but if they don't work, then roaccutane is there. Side effects occur for all medications in someone or other, more powerful drugs tend to have more side effects. Google any contraceptive pill to see the extreme side effects people claim it has, lots of depression and suicidal comments, but at the same time, thousands of woman take that same brand every day for years without noticing any side effects, only positives. It's up to the individual and their dermatologist to determine the course of action, for each individual case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi OP,
    its good to hear your researching this drug before you get prescribed it, mention this to your dermatologist and they will be less reluctant to put you on it!
    In my opinion, its not as bad or dangerous as people think.
    I saw improvements with in a few days and by a month or so was perfectly clear and have been since besides the odd one or two a year which is nothing...
    I was a student at the time and was out drinking about two nights a week...with no problems at all...blood checked each month and my liver was perfect!
    Having a lip balm in your pocket will become routine and even carrying moisturiser will be needed too, top layer of skin can just peel away constantly..
    The drug itself is just an extremely high dose of vitamin A, its been linked with depression and suicide etc.. but my dermatologist agreed that acne is more a cause of depression and suicide than this drug! don't be reluctant to take roaccutane, it will help change your life!
    good luck

taram wrote: »
    There's a lot of fear mongering going on with this medication, no-one's going to go on it for fun! I was incredibly socially anxious when my acne became bad in my late teens, couldn't go out, couldn't sleep properly because of the fear of what people would say and because of the pain of the acne on my back if I lay on it etc. Roaccutane gave me a normal life, bit extreme, but my acne was one of the worst my dermatolgist had ever seen. I started off depressed on it, and ended up happy, and confident to leave the house and do normal day to day things.

I also read a hell of a lot of research papers before I went on it, asked my GP, the other GP in the practise and my dermatologist everything I could think of, both medically and ananecdotally; I also asked anyone I knew who had been on it how they had felt through it, and if it was worth it. I then decided to go on it, my only side effects were dry skin/lips and a bit of joint pain towards the end when I was on the highest dose for my body weight, but that went after a week of being off it.

If in doubt, talk to your doctor, there's other options out there to try with severe acne, but if they don't work, then roaccutane is there. Side effects occur for all medications in someone or other, more powerful drugs tend to have more side effects. Google any contraceptive pill to see the extreme side effects people claim it has, lots of depression and suicidal comments, but at the same time, thousands of woman take that same brand every day for years without noticing any side effects, only positives. It's up to the individual and their dermatologist to determine the course of action, for each individual case.

Its great to hear that the drug worked for you, I have never had severe acne on my face so I can hide it beneath my clothes but if i had when I was a teen or now I would keep taking it, I guess the choice is easily made sometimes depending on the severity.

taram wrote: »

What dose were you on. It seems that 1mg per kilo is standard. Im on 60mg a day but I weigh 97kg so I guess I'm on a low dose for my weight.
    Day 1: slight light headedness
    Day2: Dry skin in face
    Day3: Definite dry hot sensation on my face, hot (sensation) dry lips, definite red colouring.

Seems to be taking effect very fast with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Bytheway wrote: »
    What dose were you on. It seems that 1mg per kilo is standard. Im on 60mg a day but I weigh 97kg so I guess I'm on a low dose for my weight.
    Day 1: slight light headedness
    Day2: Dry skin in face
    Day3: Definite dry hot sensation on my face, hot (sensation) dry lips, definite red colouring.

Seems to be taking effect very fast with me
    Started on 40mg then 60mg after a month, them month later was on 80mg for the rest of my time I would have been around the 75-80kg mark, so the max dose for my weight. My hair/skin became noticably less oily in 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Some helpful information in this thread :) thanks :D

I'm currently on Minosil + Benezoyl Peroxide...for about 5 months...only getting worse as far as i can see..or wayy too slow if its working at all.
    Going to the dermatologist in 2 and a half weeks, second visit, I'm gonna push to get on this. (last visit i was asked "does the acne have a severe affect on your life, does it stop you doing stuff, etc")

Anyway, was wondering, blood tests have to be taken for this? Will they be done on that day or will i have to wait/etc?

• Advertisement
Advertisement