Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Dell PC + Graphics card from komplett = Decent machine?

Options
  • 14-03-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=D4X20001&l=en&m_30=138820&oc=D032002&rbc=D032002&s=bsd

Hey guys, the machine i Linked from dell seems to be good value, the question is, I want to play supreme commander and Call of Duty 4 on it, and I' wondering what graphics card I should get with it.

I really want to spend as little as possible, with around 400 euros (±20) budget. The above PC comes to 240 or so.

So, my two main questions are:

What Graphics card should I get.
    Is it worthwhile getting the CPU upgrade to get the Core 2 Duo e4500?

Edit: As an aside, I have researched, but I'm totally out of the game when it comes to parts buyling, last time I built a PC the pentium 4 2.4ghz was the price/performance king, which was then decimated by the athlon 64! I currently have an athlon fx51 wih a gig of ram and a 6800gt graphics card and I'd like a performance boost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You + Logic = flawless.

dont bother with the cpu upgrade, its not gonna make much of a difference. So you have 160 bucks left.

Slap in this 9600GT and she will happily play supcom and cod4:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346880

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Aye aye sir.

*Produces Credit Card*

Or, before you do that. What you could do is buy this:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=48334&cat=8

From adverts, and get yourself some new shoes. treat yourself, you deserve it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You definitely need a better CPU - the 2160 is a champion overclocker, but at stock, which it will be in your Dell and locked as such, it's not going to hold up well at decent resolutions in newer games.

The E2200 for an extra 36 is quite frankly a no brainer - 400mhz increase relative to the clocks of Core 2 is a very significant increase. I would not bother going to the 4500 for the 70, the E2200 is good enough.

Also, the Vostro PSU is probably relatively weak, about 300w with 18a on the 12v rail - the 9600GT recommendation is 400w and 26a on the rails.

A lot of Dell Vostro models don't come with a 6-pin, especially budget models, you you'd need a molex adaptor running from two seperate connectors....so also, check out how many free connectors you'd even have!

So, it might work, or you might experience lock ups, shutdowns and freezing....check out dell related forums first before you purchase.

You definitely need a better CPU - the 2160 is a champion overclocker, but at stock, which it will be in your Dell and locked as such, it's not going to hold up well at decent resolutions in newer games.

The E2200 for an extra 36 is quite frankly a no brainer - 400mhz increase relative to the clocks of Core 2 is a very significant increase.

Also, the Vostro PSU is probably relatively weak, about 300w with 18a on the 12v rail - the 9600GT recommendation is 400w and 26a on the rails.

So, it might work, or you might experience lock ups, shutdowns and freezing....check out dell related forums first before you purchase.

Good point about the psu. I didnt actually consider that the 12v rail would be weak.

In light of this, id go for the cpu upgrade and the card from adverts. As for the 100€ you have left you wont be able to get a decent card.

• Advertisement

Does the Vostro 200 take standard atx psus? Not sure how Dell machines work these days.

You can get a decent PSU for 60-70 euro. Not the best, but enough to get by without a danger of exploding whilst powering a decent system. :D

So say, an extra 30 for the E2200 + 70 for a psu (Pixmania have a JeanTech Arctic Modular psu for 50 notes, decent solid psu with almost 40 amps on 12v)

That adds up to say, 350-ish - pick up a cheap second hand 7900GS/7900GT for about 80 - about 430 in total. Can always upgrade card later but PSU in particular is the fundamental part of the build.

Of course, the other option is to buy second hand parts. Using E-Bay, a short while ago I built this for 420 euro:

E4300
    Quad Capable Biostar Mobo
    2Gb Ram
    600W Modular PSU
    HD3870 OC
    250Gb Hard Drive

Buying a Dell might initially seem great value, but it's stripping the Core 2 of it's true value (overclocking) and is not sufficient for up to date high end gaming without modifications, either now or down the road. I went the E-Bay route and it worked out great (didn't keep it though sold it straight away :p).

Does the Vostro 200 take standard atx psus? Not sure how Dell machines work these days.

You can get a decent PSU for 60-70 euro. Not the best, but enough to get by without a danger of exploding whilst powering a decent system. :D

So say, an extra 30 for the E2200 + 70 for a psu (Pixmania have a JeanTech Arctic Modular psu for 50 notes, decent solid psu with almost 40 amps on 12v)

That adds up to say, 350-ish - pick up a cheap second hand 7900GS/7900GT for about 80 - about 430 in total. Can always upgrade card later but PSU in particular is the fundamental part of the build.

Of course, the other option is to buy second hand parts. Using E-Bay, a short while ago I built this for 420 euro:

E4300
    Quad Capable Biostar Mobo
    2Gb Ram
    600W Modular PSU
    HD3870 OC
    250Gb Hard Drive

Buying a Dell might initially seem great value, but it's stripping the Core 2 of it's true value (overclocking) and is not sufficient for up to date high end gaming without modifications, either now or down the road. I went the E-Bay route and it worked out great (didn't keep it though sold it straight away :p).

I hope you didnt sell it for mroe then 420€, as that would be profiteering !! And smashey and roundymooney would have a shít fit :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input.

I've been looking around, and there were reports on the dell forums of people running an 8800gt without problems on the current PSU, but some of the people there had also upgraded the PSU.

I have an antec truepower 430W PSU that i can lash in if needs be(I never saw anyone say explicitly it was atx but other reported having different PSU's in their system).

The processor upgrade seems like a good plan. I will try get a second hand GFX card but if at all possible I want something that wont blow the house down.

I'll hold off ordering until sunday and see if any more good advice crops up. I'll post up and see how I get on.

In terms of E-Bay: I have had too many bits of hardware go bust on me and good warranty is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

One thing if you are going the dell route go for Xp as its much quicker than vista..if you look on new pc games cases it will say Ram:xp 512mb,vista 768mb....or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Thanks for all the input.

I've been looking around, and there were reports on the dell forums of people running an 8800gt without problems on the current PSU, but some of the people there had also upgraded the PSU.

I have an antec truepower 430W PSU that i can lash in if needs be(I never saw anyone say explicitly it was atx but other reported having different PSU's in their system).

The processor upgrade seems like a good plan. I will try get a second hand GFX card but if at all possible I want something that wont blow the house down.

I'll hold off ordering until sunday and see if any more good advice crops up. I'll post up and see how I get on.

In terms of E-Bay: I have had too many bits of hardware go bust on me and good warranty is nice.

You wont need your Antec psu, I had a 7950gt running perfect on the Vostro 200, a friend of mine had a x1950pro in his and now 9600gt running on the Vostro 200 as well...

You will need one these adapters, as the dell has no 6 pin....

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20580

I wouldnt bother with the second hand card like 7900gt/x1950, they are much worse than you think, even against a HD3850 they get beat badly....

You can get a 9600gt from ebuyer for €135 + 13 delivery...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141669

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Thats a pretty good choice aswell and I would presonally get it over the dell.
    88378921ck8.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

you may be interested in a thread I have over on HTPC

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Actually its looking more like it might be a better idea to build my own, I had intended to have ordered already but the selection at hardwareversand is a little bit mind boggling. I've looked around several review sites and I'm really not sure what mobo / memory combo i should go for. If i build myself i wont need to buy a disk drive, or a hdd, but i will need a case, budget is still 400.

I'm still keeping an eye out to see if any threads pop up with recommendations that suit me perfectly!

Actually its looking more like it might be a better idea to build my own, I had intended to have ordered already but the selection at hardwareversand is a little bit mind boggling. I've looked around several review sites and I'm really not sure what mobo / memory combo i should go for. If i build myself i wont need to buy a disk drive, or a hdd, but i will need a case, budget is still 400.

I'm still keeping an eye out to see if any threads pop up with recommendations that suit me perfectly!

Good man, if you could up your budget by €30 you could have an Sli mobo and a Corsair power supply....

6iozeuevgqgufqfmnua_thumb.jpg

€430 delivered

All top quality components and a bit of future proofing with Sli ( nice to have the option)....

Board is just as good an overclocker as the other ds3l motherboards and should reach 2.8ghz or more with the arctic cooler...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Don't forget the OS is included with the dell.

Jackz wrote: »
    Don't forget the OS is included with the dell.

He can use the xp serial on his old pc ;)

that looks pretty sweet. I might go ahead with that because the processor and graphics seem to have a very clear upgrade path 1 year down the road (i.e. quad core penryn and a second 9600gt).

Before I do though, is that combination of parts likely to overclock well?

OS Wise I have a retail licence for xp pro which i got for 40 quid a few years back :D

that looks pretty sweet. I might go ahead with that because the processor and graphics seem to have a very clear upgrade path 1 year down the road (i.e. quad core penryn and a second 9600gt).

Before I do though, is that combination of parts likely to overclock well?

OS Wise I have a retail licence for xp pro which i got for 40 quid a few years back :D

Plenty of good reviews on that mobo, from reading the reviews its about as good an overclocker as the p31 - ds3l I have, I can get a E2160 with a cheap Intel fan to 3.0ghz...

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=330631

The E2140 is a better overclocker than my E2160 and the Arctic fan is suppose to be class, i'd say 3.0ghz easy..

I have the same ocz memory and its class, overclocks very well...

Review here

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Gigabyte_GA-N650SLI-DS4_650i_SLI_Review/4939-13.html

nice one, what if i decide to go the extra wee bit and get an e4400 / e4500, worth it? last question i promise!

nice one, what if i decide to go the extra wee bit and get an e4400 / e4500, worth it? last question i promise!

I dont think it is...

E4500 is €88, E2140 €46

E4500 is a good overclocker, but not in the same league as a E2140/E2180, you would get maybe 3.2 or 3.3ghz with E4500, E2140 could get 3.2ghz too...

1mb of cache extra in the E4500 isnt worth €40, keep your money for a Quad I say :D

• Advertisement

Sweet, i found the attatchments for my zalman cnps 9500 cu for socket 775 so I'll have a good fan for it :D

It would have been worth it in the Dell, but when overclocking is available, the Core 2 shines on a budget. I used to have an E2160 - now have an E4300, which is the same stock speed anyway, 1.8Ghz, just more L2 - and it runs normally on 2.8Ghz air cooled, but can reach 3.2Ghz at stable temps.

I have this cooler, does an excellent job for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're not going to be overclocking on a Dell, so pick the processor speed thats needed.

astrofool wrote: »
    You're not going to be overclocking on a Dell, so pick the processor speed thats needed.

He's building his own now :)

Advertisement