Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ingenious - indicator jacket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

good lord, that's awful.
    Most drivers would probably ignore that :) An arm is much more effective. Stick a reflective band on for nighttime, if you want, and your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Says it has wrist mounted signal thingys - so not alone are you still taking your hand off the bars to signal anyway, but you're also either looking down at your sleeve to find the button, or crossing up your hands on the handlebars to activate the button! :eek:
    methinks the designer has never been on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

yeah - I think you'd be blasted off the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Does nobody but me find that jacket cool?

Will I get me coat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

Will I get me coat?

I do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Saw things like this recently alright. A LED on the wrist and it senses when you lift your arm up and turns on.

Can't find the link now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

In theory, I think the jacket is a really cool idea - but I don't know how practical it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Also wonder about the legalities of it. Cyclists etc are supposed to use hand signals, as bikes typically don't have indicators mounted to the frame, unlike cars, which all do (although I believe that Mercs, BMWs, Taxis and SUVS only have them as optional extras, which some owners couldn't afford/didn't bother to get :D )
    In theory a nice idea, but probably impractical on so many levels - too hot to wear in the summer. Useless if you have a backpack. No indication to oncoming/side-on traffic. Unless you're sitting upright it might not even be visible. The signal is not in any of the 'usual' positions for signals. It can't make a shaking fist or a unitary salute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Will I get me coat?

Great for dancing in, not so sure about cycling.

I should point out that I have no taste in clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

kenmc wrote: »
    Also wonder about the legalities of it. Cyclists etc are supposed to use hand signals, as bikes typically don't have indicators mounted to the frame, unlike cars, which all do (although I believe that Mercs, BMWs, Taxis and SUVS only have them as optional extras, which some owners couldn't afford/didn't bother to get :D )

lol!! Spot on. I always imagine they have indicator levers with a big sign saying 'nah, don't bother' written on them. And clearly they have a hazards light button that says 'press this if you want to perform any random manouvre you like'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I ignore most indicators, people use them wrongly, especially on roundabouts, some use none, but worst is them having them in the wrong direction, very common in sandyford, they are signalling left as though they are going into the estate and then go up to the M50, happens all the time.

I hand signal if it is safe to do so, one handed cycling is usually unsafe. When I do I find most motorists ignore it anyway and wait to make sure I really am turning, so I don't bother much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

rubadub wrote: »
    I ignore most indicators, people use them wrongly, especially on roundabouts, some use none, but worst is them having them in the wrong direction, very common in sandyford, they are signalling left as though they are going into the estate and then go up to the M50, happens all the time.

I hand signal if it is safe to do so, one handed cycling is usually unsafe. When I do I find most motorists ignore it anyway and wait to make sure I really am turning, so I don't bother much these days.

I dunno, I've found lately that drivers respond really well to hand indicating. There's a few places on my route I need to cross over a lane of traffic to turn right. I stick my hand out coming up to the turn, looking around every second or two and invariably a car will slow down, flash the lights, let me pull into the lane and then take my turn.

Sure a fair few drive by, but most seem to take pity on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

a good and very effective tactic is to really obviously look behind you, rather than a quick glance. It makes 'em remember that you are a person, which is what Verb has pretty much described

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Not into that jacket. I think the only thing it really indicate is the silliness of the wearer ho ho ho!

I think hand signals work. I like to throw in a flick of the wrist for emphasis. I'd point down at the next lane/kerb if changing lanes/pulling in. Or a straight arm out if actually turning. Yep, sad.

I find hand signals are more useful for telling other cyclists and motorbikes on the cycle track what you're about to do. (cyclists who overtake on the left: fúck off you pricks)
    Drivers are either aware of you or their not anyway.
    Hand signals are 100% wasted on pedestrians unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Raam wrote: »
    Most drivers would probably ignore that :) An arm is much more effective. Stick a reflective band on for nighttime, if you want, and your sorted.
    Those flashing LED reflective bands would be perfect (they're in Lidl once a year). As they are flashing they last a good while and you won't have to turn them on/off to make a turn.

I always give big, clear hand signals when changing lanes or turning. A lot of what I do is so that I can complain about others and cast the first few stones.

Advertisement