Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless in VMWare???

• 14-03-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, yesterday i installed a Linux virtual machine (using VMWare) onto my laptop. Unfortunately i have not been able to connect to internet or anything through the VM as apparently VMWare is unable to bridge wireless connections...

I've tried searching the web and stuff, but the only help i've been able to find seems to specifically relate to having VMWare running on a linux platform, whereas i'm trying to run a virtual version of Linux on my vista computer.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why was this moved to Unix? The problem is setting up VMWare probably, which is a computers problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

It worked for me. are the virtual adapters working correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Welcome back :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

works for me with wireless, you have to set up the bridge with the virtual network setting in the vmware menu(toolbar), under edit. Then third tab, vmnet0 select what to bridge it with

Could you go through how you got it working? I'm having no joy here... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

have laptop connected to internet over wireless
    laptop has ip address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns settings

linux in virtual machine has the same four settings, with its own ip address on the network (ifconfig to configure linux ip settings)
    if you have dhcp, and get your ip address automatically then just make sure linux has dhcp enabled

these are the vmware settings, might look a bit different in the player or depending on version
    or maybe an issue with using the basic player or something
    vm1.jpg

vm2.jpg

vm3.jpg

Awesome, i followed your 2 steps, and it's working :D

It's kinda slow internet, but it'll do...

Cheers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

dulpit wrote: »
    Awesome, i followed your 2 steps, and it's working :D

It's kinda slow internet, but it'll do...

Cheers!!!
    Make sure ipv6 is turned off under Linux. Under Firefox, visit about:config. Search for ipv6 and make sure the value is toggled to disable it.

Advertisement