Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Nappy Changing Facilities

Options
  • 14-03-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭

This is a loaded question. :)

What are people's expereiences with public nappy changing facilities. Are they good, bad or indifferent? Whats a must? Whats a no-no? What do you like / dis-like?

I want to give feedback to someone who I think has made a mistake in their facilities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

The usual story, some good, some bad!.

Not a fan of the communal ones you find in some shopping centres, but I find the ones with the toilet in them quite handy, cos sometimes Daddy's gotta go too.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Firstly it has to be clean and with no soiled nappys or wipes hanging around.
    Secondly there has to be a way to secure the child that is safe.
    Thridly there has to be a space to put things down, ie the clean nappy, wipes ect so they are in hands reach.
    Fourth room to bring in the buggy/pram.

After that well a sink is nice but not needed, distractions for the child nice but not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I hate those ones that are attached to the wall, the fold out ones, they are okay for a tiny baby, but for bigger ones it can be hairy.

Perfect one for me would be a long "kitchen counter", plenty of room for the baby bag etc. A clean peddle bin underneath, a sink, a chair and an enclosed toilet for Mum/Dad, room for a couple of buggies and a coat hook (can get hot and bothered, so somewhere handy to hang a coat would be kind!).

And, obviously, the mini bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

There is one room in one of the shopping centres near me. One for the entire shopping centre. Worse than that, it is tiny... maybe 12ft by 12ft, and it has two of those fold down changing units... at right angles to each other. Terribly designed. There is no room for buggies at all (even a tiny one) and the room is horribly hot and has a lingering dirty nappy smell. There is nowhere a mother could discreetly breastfeed if she wanted to - just a chair shoved into a corner right next to a sink where she'd have no elbow room at all, and would be on full view of anyone who came in to change their baby.

Other places are good, but this one above is the one I'd go to most often and its crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK, unloading the question.

The new 22000 class trains have a baby changing unit in each toilet, including one in the reasonably spacious wheelchair accessible toilet (1 on a short train, 2 on a long train). Enough space for a buggy only in those ones only. Push button automatic door.

Its the fold down type fixed to the wall. When you bring it down, it slams the toilet cover down. It has no strap to restrain the child - in a speeding train.

I've mentioned this to the Railway Safety Commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

doesn't sound great, but do other intercity trains have this facility at all?

I'd agree with the feedback above - facilities should be in a decent sized room with a toilet attached. Often you will need to bring a buggy and one or more other kids in with you. They should also be in a room accessible to fathers - NOT the ladies toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Victor wrote: »

The new 22000 class trains have a baby changing unit in each toilet, including one in the reasonably spacious wheelchair accessible toilet (1 on a short train, 2 on a long train). Enough space for a buggy only in those ones only. Push button automatic door.

Its the fold down type fixed to the wall. When you bring it down, it slams the toilet cover down. It has no strap to restrain the child - in a speeding train.

My solution to that used to be, put loads of newspaper down on the floor, then the changing mat, and change baby on the floor. Stuff newspaper into a carrier bag and leave it there, and anti-bacterial wipes used on everything! Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

sueme wrote: »
    My solution to that used to be, put loads of newspaper down on the floor, then the changing mat, and change baby on the floor. Stuff newspaper into a carrier bag and leave it there, and anti-bacterial wipes used on everything! Nightmare.

Yeah, I'd go with the floor. Babies are very wriggly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You notice a big difference in other countries, compared to Ireland. Its woeful in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it boils my blood when they put the changing facilities in the ladies toilet! I have seen this a few times (one in a kiddies indoor play center ffs!). Do they think men don't change nappies ??? Should we all just grab our pipes and smoking jacket and retire to the billiards room :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I was in Cairns Airport last Week and there was this aisan woman changing her childs nappy right in the middle of departures lounge, and the mother and baby room was only a few feet away!!

There is no real point to this story I just thought I tell you all about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

it boils my blood when they put the changing facilities in the ladies toilet! I have seen this a few times (one in a kiddies indoor play center ffs!). Do they think men don't change nappies ??? Should we all just grab our pipes and smoking jacket and retire to the billiards room :mad:
    Yes, above all other things mentioned in this thread, this makes me hopping mad. As a male, you've got to know where there are disabled toilets with baby-changing facilities! I have on a couple of occasions used ladies toilets to change my little ones, despite disapproving looks from occupants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Victor wrote: »

Are they requred to supply them at all on public transport? This could be a sticky one, I'm not sure of the law here, but while I agree that they sound very dangerous, their response might be to just remove them altogether if they are not required to have them.

Cars and buses don't have them....why should trains??

(Do planes have decent ones?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

My youngest is 15 years and oldest 19. There were no change facilities in any toilets in Calgary back then.

What we wouldnt have done for a simple fold down from the wall, they look outright heavenly when I see them now.

The looks I got changing my daughters nappy in a men's washromm, all decked out on teh counter.

It was priceless. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

In my opinion, Changing facilities should have room to fit a buggy in it.

A toilet is also helpful in the case of having two or more children.

Ventilation.

Bins

A changing unit with adequate paper towel to put down.

A wash hand sink with disposable towels.

I have noticed in other countries there are vending machines that sell a nappy and wipes, this would come in useful.

I would also like to point out that there is not enough adequate Breast feeding rooms in shopping centres and public areas. Breast feeding rooms should not be the same room as the changing room either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was in the UK recently and one changing room had a secure area for other kids, so you could put them in there while you change the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BostonB wrote: »
    I was in the UK recently and one changing room had a secure area for other kids, so you could put them in there while you change the baby.
    http://www.animationstand.com/gallery/rubberco/Jail.jpg

DSC00091a Type 22000 Baby changing tray.JPG

Advertisement