Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate History Examination 2008

Options
  • 14-03-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Any ideas what the dept might ask of the students?

I got 75% in my mock, and i'm pretty disappointed.
    I screwed up the european essay, because none of the topics I studied came up,
    they were
    Church/State relations under Mussolini/Hitler
    Stalin's Show Trials
    Anglo American culture/entertainment
    British society during WWII,

pretty obscure topics, eh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Ya pretty much except for stalin show trials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

armbruster wrote: »
    Any ideas what the dept might ask of the students?

I got 75% in my mock, and i'm pretty disappointed.
    I screwed up the european essay, because none of the topics I studied came up,
    they were
    Church/State relations under Mussolini/Hitler
    Stalin's Show Trials
    Anglo American culture/entertainment
    British society during WWII,

pretty obscure topics, eh?

Anglo-American pop culture is easy to learn and prepare, wrote and learned an essay on it for the pre and got an A, its easy to get marks in cos its pretty much just common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Aargh! I am so angry about history! I absolutely adore the subject and have an amazing teacher, but the curriculum is ridiculously huge. There is no way you can learn everything on the course to a B standard not to mind to an A standard. So we have to do these prediction things and teachers have to try and guess. Its so stupid!

Sorry about the rant.

Dictatorship and democracy: most widely expected are church state realtions and stalins show trials.
    Pursuit of Sovereignty and the impact of partition: Something economic- CnaG or FF
    Movements for political and social reform: Land reform esp. Davitt

But do we really know anything? Does anyone think the Moon landings will come up for the document? We spent about a week on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I would rant about it, but we havn't got ours back yet and now we have a two week break so when we get them, we would have been waiting 7 weeks for them...same with English. It's crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I love History but my teacher is just terrible. I got an A1 in the mock but to be honest it left me even more confused than before because he is an awful corrector and corrected the whole exam way too softly.

I basically write my essays with very little analysis, basically all facts except for the final pargraph in the conclusion where I put in my own opinion. Do you need more analysis throughout? I think I'll get the 60 marks on the CM as my paragrpahs are generally quite good but my problem is getting the 40 marks in the OM Mark. I don't really understnd how they're allocated. My teacher basically said that if you get 60 on the CM Mark, there's nmo way you'll get less than 32 out of 40 on the OM Mark, is that correct or what?

Arghhh, so confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Our teacher told us that in the European history topic you can just study the dictatorships because they usualy give dictatorship 2:2 democraciy or dictatorship 3:1 democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

any hints on how to write my evaluation of sources for my RSR? our teacher wants 2 paragraphs on each and then to shorten them after she has corrected them...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

With the Special Study, does anyone know if the Review of the Research Process is included in the 1500 word count for the essay or can it be seperate? Because I have my actual essay done it's just under 1500 so if the Review is included in that word count I'll have to shorten down my essay a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    With the Special Study, does anyone know if the Review of the Research Process is included in the 1500 word count for the essay or can it be seperate? Because I have my actual essay done it's just under 1500 so if the Review is included in that word count I'll have to shorten down my essay a bit.

you wont be penalised this year if you go over the 1500 word count. well as long as its not pages and pages over it anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

this is why i don't do history! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^ Yeah, it's not really worth it tbh. I love history but I could have studied/read about history in my own time. Now I'm sacrificing much needed points because I can never finish my essays in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

To do history essays on time you need to pick a question get a clock and try to the four pages or eight paragraphs in 40 mins.Look over it and then see what information left out or weather the intro o conclusion could be any better.Give it to your teacher to correct if ya want.

Its not that bad.Compared with the sheer boredom of business its a great subject..just my opinion thou!

Advertisement